Sold! 10 different pipes for sale, mostly English, $20 shipped

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I'll be damned
Sales
It's all over, folks

Folks, I recently moved, so now it is time for me to dispose of a bunch of pipes. Each pipe is $20, including shipping to USA. I will ship them in the coming week (19 September - 23 September)

Most of the pipes on offer are English, because that is just what I am prone to buy when I'm browsing a table or what have you.

I have not gone to any special trouble to clean these, so unless noted, they are generally cleaned but not specially prepared for sale.

This is the last gasp for some of these guys. These days I don't have time or the energy for eBay. So maybe some of these find a good home, and others end up in the campfire. We'll see!

You can click the images for a larger, more detailed image.

1. English sandblasted basket pipe

This pipe is an enormous bent pot with thick walls. It's bigger than a group 5. Dunhill doesn't make a group 6 bent pot, but it would be a group 6 if such a thing existed.

"Made in London, England". Based on the shape, I surmise it probably came out of the Parker/Hardcastle factory. No clue about the date. Stemwork is rather good f or a basket pipe.

2. Zenith "Old Mokum" porcelain pipe.

This pipe is roughly a group 3.

Zenith is still in business, selling double-wall porcelain pipes as they ever have. They're quite expensive. I acquired this one used, some years ago.

Condition would be OK except that I tried to clean it with an alcohol bath, and now it is stained. Still smokes just fine. In addition to the novelty of the porcelain finish, it smokes rather drier and cooler than you might expect.

In addition to being a porcelain, it is a calabash of sorts -- there is a large void beneath the pipe bowl to draw out moisture.

The "p-lip" is fake/decorative, it does not actually smoke like a Peterson p-lip. It looks like one, but the hole is in the end, like a normal fishtail mouthpiece.

SOLD 3. Pre-war Sommer Hungarian

This pipe is roughly a group 3.

Sommer was a French maker based in Paris. They went out of business during the Depression.

This is a Hungarian shape pipe in restored condition. There are some dings and handling marks over the years. The stem has no visible damage. Unlike some pipes this age, it has a funneled slot.

Do note: this is a "well" pipe, like a Peterson system. It will smoke dryer than your typical factory-made Hungarian, but you need to use an extra pipe cleaner to swab out the "well" after smoking.

The major proviso is that it has been modestly over-reamed. I have never smoked it because, well, I can't abide even a trace of over-reaming.

This is a really lovely pipe that is not going to go in the campfire if it doesn't sell. I will find it a home with someone, somewhere.

SOLD 4. Orlik "Sovereign"

A group 4 bent billiard.

I'm disposing of this because it is a 9mm filter pipe, and I cannot be bothered to carry filters. It is in generally good condition. It is almost certainly a Southend-on-Sea era, post-1980 pipe.

You cannot see it in the photo but it does include the classic Orlik inset "o" on the top of the stem.

SOLD 5. WDC "Royal Demuth"

This is a group 1 or group 2 silver-capped billiard with a fascinating, sandblast-like rustication.

We can surmise it is probably from the WWII era, when WDC and all the other American makes still had ample factory capacity but were running short on briar. I have a number of late 30s, early 40s pipes that follow this pattern: elaborate silver work / finishing, very small briar blocks.

I'm getting rid of this guy because it's made for a 1/4" Grabow/Medico-style filter, and I can't be bothered to carry filters anywhere.

This pipe got sent to a restorer, but the silver has since tarnished in my closet. It is otherwise quite clean, though.

This is another pipe that is too interesting to go in the campfire. But I'm not going to be the one who smokes it. Can't abide a filter pipe without a filter, can't stand to carry filters.

SOLD 6. GBD 9456 (pre-1980)

The size of this pipe is very odd -- it's a slender, graceful group 3 with a very large group 4 bowl. It's compact, lightweight, and holds a good deal of tobacco. A great pipe for working with your hands.

This is a pre-1980 GBD with excellent stemwork. It has been restored, but, unfortunately, much of the original contrast stain was buffed off by a prior owner.

7. Conway "Standard"

A group 3 bent billiard. Condition is not very good. What you see is what you get. The stem has oxidized somewhat from long storage; there are dings on the rim from a prior owner tapping it out on an ashtray.

I don't know very much about Conway. It is some kind of English make.

To look at it, you would never know it weren't a Oppenheimer/Cadogan product. Classic shaping.

SOLD 8. Sunrise "Amber Grain""

A group 3 bent billiard. Condition is good. It has clearly been smoked a few times, albeit not by me.

Sunrise was a well-known Comoy's second. The grain is rather good, but like most Sunrise pipes, this one has some fills.

9. GBD 9456 (post-1980)

The size of this pipe is very odd -- it's a slender, graceful group 3 with a very large group 4 bowl. It's compact, lightweight, and holds a good deal of tobacco. A great pipe for working with your hands.

This is a post-1980 GBD, from the Southend-on-Sea era, with surprisingly good stemwork for its time. No GBD roundel, though. This pipe also has a replacement tenon from an accident years ago.

Unlike its brother, the pre-1980 9456, the finish is much closer to its original condition. Unfortunately they just weren't doing such a nice contrast stain after the consolidation. It hasn't been buffed to death, there just never was much to see on the sides of this guy. (Oddly, the underside of the pipe has much better contrast)

SOLD Buckingham "London Made"

This is another oddball size. It's almost a Peterson in its design. It's a great big meaty shank and stem, suitable to a group 4 or group 5, with a small pot on the end of it, like a group 2 almost.

This pipe is entirely unsmoked. It has a very small amount of tooth chatter on the stem. I assume it was purchased for stage use and never held tobacco!

Buckingham was another makeu of the John Redman Ltd factory in London. The building is still extant, the pipe company is long gone.

At this point it is mostly memorable for being one of the few large scale makers who *wasn't* an Oppenheimer/Cadogan property at any point.

In any case, if you are looking for a very Irish-like take on a bent pot with a big com`fortable stem, this is the pipe for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom