2020 latest pipe smoking purchases

Swede

Okay, though a liar of briar I be, I bought them. Some of it is going to have to go in the trash (perhaps the neighbor's trash), but the worst of this deviant pipeage will become a wall display. I'll post up when done.

These were part of an estate sale, but I didn't have the guts to look at the seller's other items. What if there were things from the bedroom?
You can't part them, it's a seven day set!
(Yeah, its eight but that was how many fingers he had so it made sense.)

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
You can't part them, it's a seven day set!
(Yeah, its eight but that was how many fingers he had so it made sense.)
That's a really scary idea - you really think he had a rotation going?!?!? If that's the case, this might be a set that was passed down from the original settlers of Appalachia. I might have to get DNA testing done on those cobs.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales
I did it again...I ordered another Savinelli Bing's Favorite. I should be smoking it after work on Monday. They say the third time is a charm, so I hope I have better luck with this one than I did my first two Bing's Favorite.

I was going to order the Savinelli Roma because of the straight stem, and I really liked the look, but not the length. It just doesn't have the length of the Bing's Favorite, and I can live with the slight bend in that stem. I hear hot water will take the bend out. Is that true? Or when it cools will it re-bend itself?

If it really bothers you, you can take a fluffy pipe cleaner and insert it all the way into the stem with just a bit hanging out.
Heat it up with a heat gun (doubt if a hair dryer will work) equally at the bend, meaning top, bottom, sides in a rotation till it starts relaxing to straight again.
You can either just set it down till it's cool or run some cool water on it. Do Not try and remove the cleaner till it's completely cool. The cleaner is there to keep
the airway open and to help in bringing it back to straight. It will not go back to bent unless you physically bend it back.
Do Not do this if your not comfortable using high heat on Acrylic or Ebonite (plastics) material, it can bubble and or do further damage to the stem if your not use to using such tools and materials.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
If it really bothers you, you can take a fluffy pipe cleaner and insert it all the way into the stem with just a bit hanging out.
Heat it up with a heat gun (doubt if a hair dryer will work) equally at the bend, meaning top, bottom, sides in a rotation till it starts relaxing to straight again.
You can either just set it down till it's cool or run some cool water on it. Do Not try and remove the cleaner till it's completely cool. The cleaner is there to keep
the airway open and to help in bringing it back to straight. It will not go back to bent unless you physically bend it back.
Do Not do this if your not comfortable using high heat on Acrylic or Ebonite (plastics) material, it can bubble and or do further damage to the stem if your not use to using such tools and materials.

As a favor to the forum, please video record this when you do it....and be sure you tell someone “hold my beer and watch this”

RDPipes

Sales
As a favor to the forum, please video record this when you do it....and be sure you tell someone “hold my beer and watch this”
Sorry, no camcorder or the like, just still cameras. Oh, they take movies but, hardly long enough to show you the process properly.
I'm sure there must be a YouTube video of someone doing it...............correctly isn't there?

RDPipes

Sales
Now when you say correctly....if it doesn’t end with someone yelling CALL 911!!
It may not qualify as correctly...
Ya know, I just did a quick search and found no one I would take advice from except J. Alan and his video is about shaping a stem.
I didn't view it because my PC hates YouTube, slow loading, etc. but, he might show how he bends one.
If I figure out a way to tape it I will sir but, I warn you I know little about these new fangled contraptions so it might take me awhile.

Oh! And that was funny sir, I can almost see it. :hahaha-024:

Oh! And I forgot to mention, this is all done while the stem is on the stummel/pipe.
You don't want to heat the tenon what so ever.

Last edited:

MakDragon

Optomistic Curmudgeon
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I finally was able to get my white whale pipe. The particular shape, weight and size became available so I did something I always wanted to have. I struggled for a few minutes knowing my window to pull the trigger was very narrow. A blasted JT Cooke. View attachment 65571
Can’t wait to see that at the next Hooligans meet!!!

Teekay

Patron
I did it again...I ordered another Savinelli Bing's Favorite. I should be smoking it after work on Monday. They say the third time is a charm, so I hope I have better luck with this one than I did my first two Bing's Favorite.

I was going to order the Savinelli Roma because of the straight stem, and I really liked the look, but not the length. It just doesn't have the length of the Bing's Favorite, and I can live with the slight bend in that stem. I hear hot water will take the bend out. Is that true? Or when it cools will it re-bend itself?

My kids gave me a Sav Bing's Favorite a few years ago, and it's one of my favorites. I'd definitely like to straighten the stem, not because it bothers me (it actually feels very good), but to make it a bit more "Bing". Interested in what you find out about straightening it and what your issues were with the first two. Mine's a great smoker and have had not issues with it at all.

NativeTexan

Weird day. Won an IMP on ebay with what I expected to be a losing bid, then when I went to pay, found out I'd won another meer with an Auctionsniper snipe I'd forgotten about. So two used meerschaums to add to a late 1800's CPF (Colossal Pipe Factory) meer I won a few days ago:

View attachment 65403

View attachment 65401
View attachment 65402

Join the club. We pretty much just smoke pipes and listen to jazz.

View attachment 65405

Photograph by nattanan726 via Shutterstock
I love the seabird!