2020 latest pipe smoking purchases

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
Dunhill double-patent Root Briar billiard dated by SP's appraisers to the year 1929. This thing is brushing up on 100 years old.

I scored it for a pittance on eBay, as it was originally in rather spotty condition. Some elbow grease later, and I think it's back in a position to where it wouldn't embarrass a serious collector.

This thing smokes like a DREAM.

View attachment 72652 View attachment 72653 View attachment 72654
that looks like a good one, congrats!

Lunter

Patron
Dunhill double-patent Root Briar billiard dated by SP's appraisers to the year 1929. This thing is brushing up on 100 years old.

I scored it for a pittance on eBay, as it was originally in rather spotty condition. Some elbow grease later, and I think it's back in a position to where it wouldn't embarrass a serious collector.

This thing smokes like a DREAM.

View attachment 72652 View attachment 72653 View attachment 72654
Lovely pipe. What is a double patent?

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
i just ordered a handful of HU blends after spending years trying to convince myself i
didn’t need to try more tobacco

this as well as EA Carey’s blends are two that have been hanging chads for me in terms of stuff i haven’t tried that i want to. no way to get the carey blends from the UK, so i suppose this will sate my curiosity for the time being.

A small order came in ->
Kendal No. 7 Broken Flake Pipe Tobacco (Loose)
Ashton Artisans Blend Pipe Tobacco 50g Tin
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark Pipe Tobacco 50g Tin
Kendal Ennerdale Pipe Tobacco 50g (Tin)
Samuel Gawith Kendal Cream Flake Pipe Tobacco 50g (Tin)
Germains Full Latakia Pipe Tobacco (Loose)
Peterson Wild Atlantic Mixture Pipe Tobacco - 040g (Pouch)
Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture Pipe Tobacco 50g (Tin)
Peterson Old Dublin Pipe Tobacco 050g (Tin)
Peterson Nightcap Pipe Tobacco - 50g tin (Formerly Dunhill Range)
:nanaparty:

A small order came in ->
Kendal No. 7 Broken Flake Pipe Tobacco (Loose)
Ashton Artisans Blend Pipe Tobacco 50g Tin
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark Pipe Tobacco 50g Tin
Kendal Ennerdale Pipe Tobacco 50g (Tin)
Samuel Gawith Kendal Cream Flake Pipe Tobacco 50g (Tin)
Germains Full Latakia Pipe Tobacco (Loose)
Peterson Wild Atlantic Mixture Pipe Tobacco - 040g (Pouch)
Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture Pipe Tobacco 50g (Tin)
Peterson Old Dublin Pipe Tobacco 050g (Tin)
Peterson Nightcap Pipe Tobacco - 50g tin (Formerly Dunhill Range)
:nanaparty:
Strong order!

Out of curiosity: does Artisan's Blend still claim on the label to have Syrian Latakia? I was a big fan of the older version that almost certainly did have Syrian, and I remain a fan of the current version that most likely does not. Just curious.

About every 8-10 years I get a hankering (true southern word there) to try as many of the older American blends as I can just to see if my tastes have changed. The last time that I did this I found what is now my every morning smoke Sir Walter Raleigh’s Aromatic Blend.

So far, I’ve been able to find the ones pictured below in a few of the tobacco shops and grocery stores locally. I’m still on the lookout for Regular Sir Walter Raleigh, Velvet, and Mixture 79. I should probably be able to find them locally with some more store visits but I can always order then from SP.

So far, I am really liking the Prince Albert and Half & Half. The Paladin Black Cherry was just too much but I did see a mix of 3 parts H & H to 1 part Black Cherry that I am going to try next. Carter Hall was a bit dull to me (sorry Doug) but I think that my sinuses were acting up that day. I’ll definitely give it another try!

View attachment 70760
As a result of my "go back to the originals" I was surprised by a few. Much like others who have posted recently I am quite enjoying the benefits of a good old cob and some of these blends.

928E2C85-0194-4AE9-83BA-D560185ED4FA.jpeg

Strong order!

Out of curiosity: does Artisan's Blend still claim on the label to have Syrian Latakia? I was a big fan of the older version that almost certainly did have Syrian, and I remain a fan of the current version that most likely does not. Just curious.
No idea, the label is rather skint now. This is what it looks like (pic from retailer) all other stickers or labels are of the your gunna die (but happy) kind. The retailer does say it's Syrian though.
1600288865938.png

I bought two pipes from RDPipes on here. These pipes are simply amazing. The craftsmanship is beautiful and they smoke like a dream--both of them. I've never had new pipes draw as smoothly as these two do.

I think his pipes are very fairly priced. I can highly recommend his products.

Attachments

I bought two pipes from RDPipes on here. These pipes are simply amazing. The craftsmanship is beautiful and they smoke like a dream--both of them. I've never had new pipes draw as smoothly as these two do.

I think his pipes are very fairly priced. I can highly recommend his products.
I was staring at that long pot for awhile. Very handsome pipe!

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
An older purchase, this somewhat-rare rustic Peterson apple meer arrived with a way-wrong stem. I've been ordering beat-up Petes ever since, and finally got a stem match - just required a touch of superglue around the tenon for a perfect fit. Just lit a bowl of Wessex Gold Brick and this pipe is some smoker - just shaved off a little tobacco, lit it up and smoked. One match - one long smoke. Unfortunately, it had to follow a smoke of Kendal Plug, which isn't really fair.

A nice side benefit is that the original really beat-up briar bowl still fits its stem, so I can do two bowls in a row with the same stem.

(Note - that is not natural coloring. It was a strange coloring scheme Peterson had as an option for their meers back in the '70s.)

20200916_144744.jpg