A random sad contemplation

SmokeRings

I have been smoking my quarter bent Mastro de Paja Classica rusticated apple the last week or so. As I have done so I have thought a great deal about the cost and performance ratio that this pipe has provided. In my attempt to be objective I cannot call either of the pipes I own in this line amazing, they each have noticeable flaws in construction, and the finish is basic and a bit clunky. This having been said I feel that for the 60 odd dollars I paid for them that I got a solid briar, with "ok" internals, and a pipe that I feel exactly no guilt for abusing day after day, ignoring all the "rules" that our community (internet in general, not PSD specifically) has created, and think that one of the unmentioned and great tragedies in recent years is this line of pipes disappearing, they were/are/could be again a great and exceptionally affordable option for a new pipe smoker to get into briars without dropping a fortune or feeling guilty if they thrash it.

Having said all that, what other pipes do you lot own/know of that could take it's place?

KleinToit

For me it is Design Berlin, I have 2 of their cheaper sub $50 pipes that outsmokes anything I have. One is the first pipe I bought and it withstood all the abuse I could throw at it as a beginner, smoking too fast and hot, sometimes to the point of not being able to touch the shank (or being able to taste anything for a couple of days), running up to 8 bowls through it day after day, reloading as soon as the ash was dumped, it was my first and only pipe at that time. Even smoked numerous bowls without the 9mm filter because I didn't have any with me. As to flaws, one small fill on the heel of the pipe, which only became apparent because of the polish being worn from falling around in my truck when not in use.
Its only when I started reading the wisdom of the internet that I started to "care" for my pipes. I have to admit that I "baby" my valuable (monetary and sentimental) pipes, because some of them I would like to leave as heirlooms.

Cobs are kniw as the "beaters" of the pipe world but I firmly believe that
Briar and meerchaum are much more resilient than we give them credit for.
I now have many pipes, but even so, going away for a week or two, I'll maybe pack a cob and two briars, and smoke the crap out of them.

Serenity

Burn out Bright
The best fifty dollar pipe I've ever smoked was a Paul's Pipe Shop Cayuga oil cured. At the Columbus pipe show they had a sale 30% off, paid $35 for a Prince of theirs. Next August, I'll be picking up a couple/few more. I won't be buying any other brand in the fifty or less range, fwiw. I can't pass up a pipe that smokes like other offerings in the hundred dollar plus range that costs 35.

Jhelms

While there is no prestige to my choice, I have been smoking these pipes for over 45 years and have never been dissatisfied. I think Kaywoodies are a good choice. They are of a very consistent quality and I own some that are older than I am and they are still. Insistently good smokers. While you can buy Kaywoodies for over $200 their line has many in the price range we have talked about here. I think they are consistently good pipes an a very reasonable price.

Coda

Smoking pipes has a line for sale of French made pipes that are in classic French shapes, called Bruyere St Claude...or, as mine is stamped, Piazzolla P. I have a long shanked billiard that I have smoked nearly everyday for the last 15 months, and it is a champ...and that’s with me ignoring all the rules!...

SmokeRings

While there is no prestige to my choice, I have been smoking these pipes for over 45 years and have never been dissatisfied. I think Kaywoodies are a good choice. They are of a very consistent quality and I own some that are older than I am and they are still. Insistently good smokers. While you can buy Kaywoodies for over $200 their line has many in the price range we have talked about here. I think they are consistently good pipes an a very reasonable price.
Kaywoodie is a brand I have only a single example of, and can't seem to find others unless it is Ebay finds, do they even still make new pipes?

Surlysoul

Sales
Smoking pipes has a line for sale of French made pipes that are in classic French shapes, called Bruyere St Claude...or, as mine is stamped, Piazzolla P. I have a long shanked billiard that I have smoked nearly everyday for the last 15 months, and it is a champ...and that’s with me ignoring all the rules!...
I hesitate to recommend anything with a sample size of one, but I like mine.