What's new

a revisit to the old bird.

craig

unless you have been underground for the last couple of years and were a regular smoker of condor, you will have seen all the charter about how it's move to Poland has had quite the detrimental effect.
Being an English pipe smoker, condor was my daily bread until I noticed the changes and I left it alone.
any who this month I decided to revisit it and see what the score is.

so what is it like.

well opening the packet, there is still a good moment, the typical aroma is there, in my opinion though a touch dialled back but no where near as dialled back as st bruno was when mac baren took over.

smoking wise it is still the same, cool slow burning and quite delicious again the taste is there but again it's slightly dialled back.

it still has the same amount of strength in fact I would say perhaps a touch more.

personally I would say it is almost the same as condor of old from Ireland it just needs that touch more intensity with the sauce and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

all in all I think the ready rubbed has survived relatively unscathed, I find it interesting that st bruno went through a drastic change and people are still happy with it and hardly a word uttered about it.

I can't comment on the long cut variety as I was never a massive smoker of this but if you liked the ready rubbed would say it is still a great smoke.

interestingly an email response from Japan tobacco told me that no change has been made at all in the blend or it's manufacture.....go figure.

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpo
Patron
The Poland-made Ready Rubbed has plenty of sauce to my taste Craig .. in fact I never had the pleasure of Irish R/R, having always smoked Long Cut until I tried the R/R in 2017, so I can't compare it to the old

I agree still a good 'moment' when opening the pouch .. it 'looks good' as well, unlike the new L/C flakes which are a bit scruffy and quite different to the old

I store the Polish Long Cut flakes, which have definitely been de-sauced :( , in a mason jar with R/R. After several months it perks the L/C up considerably :sf1:

For anyone wanting to try that pre-MacBaren St. Bruno, 4Noggins will gladly sell you a single 50 g tin of it from 1997 for the fair price of $220. An OTC/news stand blend. A tin that probably cost a few dollars when it was originally sold 🤑. And to all you free market captitalists out there getting your nickers in a bunch, I would happily pay that price were I a man of means. I’m just bitter.

BubbaBriar

One thing I've been wondering about on blends, having grown up on a farm. Is isn't it possible that the same blend could have slight variations on its own without any changes from harvest to harvest? Growing sorghum as part of cattle feed for example and the crop under different weather conditions year to year and your harvest naturally varies some decrees. Same would of course apply to tobacco or any other crop. Isn't it possible to suspect a certain blend has been altered by the blender but in reality nothing blending wise has changed but rather a difference of harvest conditions?

tipofthelake

Fire in big hole, small hole in face--WalkinStick
Patron
One thing I've been wondering about on blends, having grown up on a farm. Is isn't it possible that the same blend could have slight variations on its own without any changes from harvest to harvest? Growing sorghum as part of cattle feed for example and the crop under different weather conditions year to year and your harvest naturally varies some decrees. Same would of course apply to tobacco or any other crop. Isn't it possible to suspect a certain blend has been altered by the blender but in reality nothing blending wise has changed but rather a difference of harvest conditions?
Yes, that's fully expected and not as much fun to debate though. I would expect this is the reason once in a while someone pops a tin or jar and is blown over and then drives themselves crazy trying to replicate the experience, however.