A Savinelli filter system question.

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
Sorry mods if this has already been discussed.
The Savinelli balsa wood filter pipes, do they restrict draw ? ("they smoke great without the filter" doesn't count. No reason for me to own a filter pipe & not utilize the filters)
I have found 9mm filters to restrict draw & need constant re-lights, my question is Savinelli balsa filter specific, and if they do restrict draw, have any of you sanded/modified the balsa wood filters?
Thanks in advance.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I don't use them nowadays. But I have smoked a variety of Sav pipes with the 6mm balsa filters in them in the past. They were fine. Any restriction of the draw was very minor. Certainly not enough to ruin a smoke for me.

I have trimmed balsa filters in length. But never the diameter. However the filter is capable of being narrowed, unlike other 6mm filters. So, that is definitely an option you can try.

I do wonder if narrowing the filter would cause it to move up the stem as you draw during your smoke. This could restrict the airway more than using the filter as-is. But, filters are cheap. Give it a try. I'd be curious to read your findings.

If you decide to narrow the balsa, do not sand. That may leave dust on the filter. Use a sharrp blade instead.

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
I should mention I don't own one but am considering a purchase.
I've owned several 9mm & have sold all of them.
I do like using a dry ring in my Falcons & usually don't notice any draw restriction. Figuring the Savinelli balsa filter would act the same way.

I never used the filters but just wanted to point out that you can use the adapter in place of the filter if you desire. It cuts down on the draw, as would the filters, although the filters may cut down on other less desirable things as well.
No adapters thanks.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I should mention I don't own one but am considering a purchase.
I've owned several 9mm & have sold all of them.
I do like using a dry ring in my Falcons & usually don't notice any draw restriction. Figuring the Savinelli balsa filter would act the same way.
I do want to point out that my comments/experience are only for the 6mm balsa. I do not have any experience with a 9mm Sav filter.

Walkman

Per Ardua Ad Astra
The filters that come in a Savinelli filtered pipe always fit and function perfectly, but after that I have to shave the 6mm filters to get a descent draw. I have one 9 mm filter pipe and use 6 mm filters in it. They work fine. Most of the time I use an adapter and don't use filters at all.

Last edited:

kxg

Patron
It seems like the "system" is sensitive to how far into the stem the filter is placed. It seems to work (draw) better when not shoved fully into the stem, nor protruding so much it interferes with with draft hole.
I've too found this to be the case. You can nearly shut the draw off completely if you shove the balsa filter in the stem as far as it will go, so don't do that! Other than that, I don't find the 6mm balsa filters at all restrictive. And FWIW, I use them only once; in the long term scheme of things, they are cheap. And if you want them cheaper, you can make your own from supplies from a hobby shop.

Ray Mackessy

I have used Savinelli filters in my Savinelli pipes in the past and if the draw is restricted it was more from my packing technique then the filter. IMO I don't think you can go wrong with buying a filtered Savinelli pipe. If you do get one, why not try it both ways, filtered and non-filtered. Savinelli pipes are well engineered and you should have no problems, at least in my experiences.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Just an extra FYI...
I know some who remove the balsa filter and let it dry out so that they can use it again later.
Doing this gives them a couple of extra smokes out of each filter.
Supposedly, there is no negative impact to the taste of your smoke.

This is not from my experience. But multiple reliable sources have relayed positive experiences doing this.
That helps make balsa filters even more inexpensive.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Just an extra FYI...
I know some who remove the balsa filter and let it dry out so that they can use it again later.
Doing this gives them a couple of extra smokes out of each filter.
Supposedly, there is no negative impact to the taste of your smoke.

This is not from my experience. But multiple reliable sources have relayed positive experiences doing this.
That helps make balsa filters even more inexpensive.
I've done that before. If I am burning up a tin in one pipe, I'll set the filter out and it would be dry by morning. I could get five uses easy if it was a dry VaPer.