A Savinelli filter system question.

Bach6032

The Sav 6mm filter doesn't block the airway entirely. Being triangular shaped, the smoke just kind of flows around it.

By the way, you can also use similar sized triangular balsa that you can acquire from hobby shops as well. $2 worth of Balsa will supply around 50 filters.
@michiganlover Your "Hobby Lobby" suggestion led me to a local shop yesterday where I found a five pack of 3/16" square balsa pieces, each 36" long. Following the suggestions of a couple of other posters, I cut the filters just a bit shorter than my original Savinelli triangular 6 mm. filter and avoiding pushing the square filter too far into the stem. The draw is only *slightly* restricted--it seems fine to me. As others of you have observed, cutting balsa is an absolute breeze. I used a single-edge razor blade in some of my trials and if any of you decide to try the 3/16" square pieces and find the draw to be an issue, you can trim the corners from a filter quickly and easily.

Given that each 36" stick yielded 20 filters, I made 100 of them for $3.82 [included tax in price].

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H.../Balsa-Wood-Strips---3-16-x-3-16-x-36/p/68976

Having tried a couple of these, the answer is Yes: they do get a little soggy and gunky. That's the point, isn't it?

Billy Joe

Thought he was passing through, but stayed.
Patron
@michiganlover Your "Hobby Lobby" suggestion led me to a local shop yesterday where I found a five pack of 3/16" square balsa pieces, each 36" long. Following the suggestions of a couple of other posters, I cut the filters just a bit shorter than my original Savinelli triangular 6 mm. filter and avoiding pushing the square filter too far into the stem. The draw is only *slightly* restricted--it seems fine to me. As others of you have observed, cutting balsa is an absolute breeze. I used a single-edge razor blade in some of my trials and if any of you decide to try the 3/16" square pieces and find the draw to be an issue, you can trim the corners from a filter quickly and easily.

Given that each 36" stick yielded 20 filters, I made 100 of them for $3.82 [included tax in price].

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H.../Balsa-Wood-Strips---3-16-x-3-16-x-36/p/68976

Having tried a couple of these, the answer is Yes: they do get a little soggy and gunky. That's the point, isn't it?
Dang, I was in Hobby Lobby with Mrs Joe yesterday and didn’t know about this. I guess a return trip is in order.

DrCapacitor

Patron
I’ve found, at least in my 315, that the draw can get restricted if you shove the filter way up in the stem. I usually leave about 1/4 of an inch of filter sticking out.
Depending on what I’m smoking, and how wet it is, depends on how often I change the filter. Usually I get about three or four smokes out of one.
I always give a couple of breaths through the stem to blow out any potential wood shavings that may be loose before I insert the stem into the pipe.
I love my Savinelli(s) and haven’t used the adapter they come with.

Bach6032

I’ve found, at least in my 315, that the draw can get restricted if you shove the filter way up in the stem. I usually leave about 1/4 of an inch of filter sticking out.
Depending on what I’m smoking, and how wet it is, depends on how often I change the filter. Usually I get about three or four smokes out of one.
I always give a couple of breaths through the stem to blow out any potential wood shavings that may be loose before I insert the stem into the pipe.
I love my Savinelli(s) and haven’t used the adapter they come with.
< I’ve found, at least in my 315, that the draw can get restricted if you shove the filter way up in the stem. I usually leave about 1/4 of an inch of filter sticking out. >

Ditto for the 316. Keeping the filter just short of bottoming out helps preserve the draw.

Gunsmoke

Quasi Evil
Patron
I have Savs w/6mm filter and a stanwell w/9mm filter. I haven't noticed any draw restriction in either. Like others have stated don't shove the filter all the way up into the stem and you are good to go.
I use the balsa filter if I get a hankering for a gooper. They work well for absorbing the excess moisture.