What's new

A thing of beauty

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
There's a premium attached to some names in the industry for sure - but speaking very generally, pipes command big big dollars when they are great pipes, and "fairly unknown makers" can't and don't make such pipes. The idea that there's some hugely talented artiste-in-the-raw out there making excellent highgrades and NO ONE knows about this person is just wrong. It can't happen, never does and never will. Pricing isn't totally objective, but anyone capable of making a pipe that would get 1000 bucks under some other name is most likely getting 900 out of it on their own name.
I appreciate you chiming in on this. I agree that it takes massive amounts of time, practice, and repeated pipe making to obtain a status in which gets one to a level that has them turning out pipes like the one we are looking at here. Pipes like this do not happen by accident, or on a whim. In my previous post where I was going is that there are guys turning out some pretty great pipes.
It takes those guys lots of hard work to get to a level where "The-Name" is equated to great pipes.
I want to say this---I have the utmost, and deepest respect for those making pipes that can truly be defined as exceptional.
I also have this same deep respect for those working hard to move their skills forward, and gaining traction doing it.
I think you nailed it when you said that unknown makers can't & don't make such pipes---Why? Because they lack the skill, and minds eye to get it done, and done right.
I'm not saying they cannot get to that point through hard work, but it will be a long journey for that person to get them to such a level.

sablebrush52

Patron
This is a truly remarkable pipe. I agree that it is a masterpiece, one where every element comes together so harmoniously that there is a certain inevitability around the result. It is simple, elegant and could not possibly be improved upon. And that may be partly why there is no personal appeal for me. I like pipes that have some quirkiness to them, like the pipes that Paul Tatum made, or some of Walt Cannoy's early product, or some of Tony Fillenwarth's pipes. Of course I can appreciate classical styling. I have a small mountain of Barlings to prove that. It's just that perfection, assuming such a thing is even possible, bores me.

So, yes, I can appreciate that this pipe is absolute perfection, but no, it doesn't interest me whatsoever.

DannoH

Patron
This is a great thread, and one of the things I like about it is that the pipe in question is being viewed by many different types of eyes: those of collectors, hobbyists, purists, pipemakers, likers/dislikers of bamboo, and on. We all 'see' different things, and that adds much colour to our perception.

As for the pipe itself, I admire it, and for many of the reasons stated here. Whether it's worth the asking price remains to be seen, but that's another conversation altogether. I also think @Maddis should buy it and sit it next to his S. Bang ;)

Maddis

Sales
Sales
This is a great thread, and one of the things I like about it is that the pipe in question is being viewed by many different types of eyes: those of collectors, hobbyists, purists, pipemakers, likers/dislikers of bamboo, and on. We all 'see' different things, and that adds much colour to our perception.

As for the pipe itself, I admire it, and for many of the reasons stated here. Whether it's worth the asking price remains to be seen, but that's another conversation altogether. I also think @Maddis should buy it and sit it next to his S. Bang ;)
They would look good on a date, that's true.

Condor

Beautys in the eye of the beholder. I'm just not keen on bamboo. I've never understood why it's so popular.It's a very inferior building material compared to almost any other strength wise.
When I was in Shengen , China years ago , all sky rise construction was using bamboo scaffolding. Bamboo is incredibly strong. My understanding is that the tensile strength of bamboo is twice that of steel. As a stem , the briar would break well before the bamboo , and it probably would not under most situations.

When I was in Shengen , China years ago , all sky rise construction was using bamboo scaffolding. Bamboo is incredibly strong. My understanding is that the tensile strength of bamboo is twice that of steel. As a stem , the briar would break well before the bamboo , and it probably would not under most situations.
Yeah, bamboo is not weak. The old time West Coast rod and reel commercial guys used bamboo rods to bring in tuna.

Condor

Yeah, bamboo is not weak. The old time West Coast rod and reel commercial guys used bamboo rods to bring in tuna.
Forgot about that , but yes. It is the bendability if it . The strongest part of a bamboo shank pipe is the bamboo shank , not the bit or the briar. In fact I do not think anyone can break a bamboo shank pipe at the middle of the bamboo. If bamboo is destroyed it usually splints... long splints , there are no clean breaks .

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
It's a stunning pipe to be sure. But how much better does it smoke than say, three Maddis, Perkins, BSTs, etc for the same price? It's a nice pipe, but not nice or unique enough for the price tag for me. If I had $1300 to blow on a pipe, it would be spent right here on these forums. And I'd get more pipes for that money that would most likely be better smokers and look just as good, if not better.

It's a damn nice looking pipe. But if I had that much free cash to spend on a pipe, it wouldn't go to Dunhill. I'd be bugging some of our forum-mates big time for comissions. :thumb-yello:

BubbaBriar

Try building any high rise scaffolding out of bamboo in a modern western country they'll throw you in jail. Won't go into details but I'll just say I disagree 😉

Condor

Try building any high rise scaffolding out of bamboo in a modern western country they'll throw you in jail. Won't go into details but I'll just say I disagree 😉
We were speaking of Strength I though . And We were talking about pipe stems. . Your comparison was that you thought it was weak vis-à-vis for pipe stems.... I thought, and it may not be used in modern western country ... but it is stronger than steel.... google it too.😉

Cappadoc

Patron
We were speaking of Strength I though . And We were talking about pipe stems. . Your comparison was that you thought it was weak vis-à-vis for pipe stems.... I thought, and it may not be used in modern western country ... but it is stronger than steel.... google it too.😉
Until it cracks along the length.

Maddis

Sales
Sales
Considering relative strength/functionality/context, I'd be much less worried about bamboo cracking than briar of the same diameter. Especially when it's lined with stainless steel, which, I'm not convinced is even necessary for strength if the joints are reinforced and assembled correctly.

BubbaBriar

Yeah lets just say we disagree and leave it at that. Ok partner 😉

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Yeah lets just say we disagree and leave it at that. Ok partner 😉
This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP and it's the second time you've cross posted another member without actually refuting anything.

The pipe Maddis posted is incredible.
I doubt whoever buys it will incorporate it into scaffolding but if they do, and you find out, please feel free to contact your local constabularies.