What's new

A thing of beauty

Condor

This has absolutley nothing to do with the OP and it's the second time you've cross posted another member without actually refuting anything.

The pipe Maddis posted is incredible.
I doubt whoever buys it will incorporate it into scaffolding but if they do, and you find out, please feel free to contact your local constabularies.
Sorry I brought up the relative strength of bamboo. It was really as to Pipe stems.

Maddis

Sales
Sales
So...how bout that pipe? :cool:

I think @DannoH was spot on - this thread is cool because people who love pipes for different reasons are all weighing in without having the need to resolve the "what's it worth?" thing which is, as we know, a little like pissing in the wind. My juju about this is how well executed it is - to be damn near "perfect" without being stale. That impresses the Carp out of me. Other than that, I've got no dog in the game except for enjoying hearing why the pipe does/does not appeal to people.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
My juju about this is how well executed it is - to be damn near "perfect" without being stale. That impresses the Carp out of me.
I know that feeling when it comes to music. Some songs are total carp, yet there are some things in them done so incredibly well,
I have to listen to that over and over and over again. However, this is because I am a musician and therefore pay attention to things
a "music consumer" many times wouldn't even realize, let alone care for. If the song's carp, who cares for those details?

I assume the same is true with pipes: the more you know about making great pipes, the more you appreciate things done well
by others, even when the pipe itself isn't something you'd necessarily want to own yourself. It's - in part - the respect for the other's
craftmanship.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
I fully admit I usually do not like bamboo as a shank adornment.
It has to be done right. When I say done right—this pipe has it. The stem—yes great button, but the transition angle right up to the bamboo for me stands out. Then the transition to the briar. It’s one of the few done exceptionally well.
The bowl itself—not just grain, but the shaping is so well done.
The actual bamboo itself is a nice piece that as all parts transition at both ends is one of the best examples of incorporating bamboo into a pipe I have ever seen.
If I were a rich man who could spend money on anything I want—the pipe in discussion here would be in my cabinet.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
I fully admit I usually do not like bamboo as a shank adornment.
It has to be done right. When I say done right—this pipe has it. The stem—yes great button, but the transition angle right up to the bamboo for me stands out. Then the transition to the briar. It’s one of the few done exceptionally well.
The bowl itself—not just grain, but the shaping is so well done.
The actual bamboo itself is a nice piece that as all parts transition at both ends is one of the best examples of incorporating bamboo into a pipe I have ever seen.
If I were a rich man who could spend money on anything I want—the pipe in discussion here would be in my cabinet.
Couldn’t agree more, I have exactly one bamboo shank pipe and usually aren’t drawn to them for the same reasons mentioned. This one though.... just perfect.