What's new

A thing of beauty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a truly remarkable pipe. I agree that it is a masterpiece, one where every element comes together so harmoniously that there is a certain inevitability around the result. It is simple, elegant and could not possibly be improved upon.
I deliberately cut @sablebrush52's post short.

This pipe is truly remarkable. If it didn't have Hans "Former" Nielsen's name on it, it would still be a very expensive piece.
  • The proportions are nigh-on perfect.
  • The grain is remarkably good.
  • The transitions from shank to bamboo, and again from bamboo to mouthpiece, are just this side of heaven.
  • That hand-cut stem looks extraordinarily well-executed to my eye.
Sure, the famous name considerably inflates the price, but this could have been stamped with any name and fetched a fine sum.

($1,250 for a used pipe, on the other hand, is quite an ask, even with a famous name and a well-nigh perfect aesthetic.)

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
($1,250 for a used pipe, on the other hand, is quite an ask, even with a famous name and a well-nigh perfect aesthetic.)

I have to agree with Sasquatch in the fact that not just anyone could make a pipe like that. The famous name does in fact reflect the skill set required to get a pipe made at this level. A novice pipe maker simply even if they tried would not be able to get the outcome even by accident.
I as anyone drool over these pipes, but in the end it's a "pipe-dream" for me with pipes like that.
'm happy with, and for those who can, and do have pipes like the one we are discussing. Yes the name does command those prices, but the actual pipe itself in it's respective shaping, and aesthetics are no accident, and this requires lots of experience to put one on that level being able to reach that outcome on pipe after pipe that come off the bench/lathe, etc..