A way more than decent restoration.

kxg

Patron
Here are the before and after shots of a couple of estate pipes I sent out for professional restoration to Cook's Fine Pipe Works on the advice from arguably the best restorer in the business. They arrived back today and are more impressive in hand than in the pics. I am beyond pleased with these results and it affirms my decision send these two pipe out. I can do basic restoration but I'm certainly not near this level. Kudos to Anthony for very fine work and knowing the perfect amount of restoration needed.
They look so good I'm reluctant to smoke them...but I imagine I will. Maybe tonight!
First is a 1949 Dunhill Shell LB F/T
49lbft-003.jpg
49lbft-012.jpg
Next is a Sasieni Four Dot "Regent"
4dnatreg-001.jpg
4dnatreg-011.jpg

kxg

Patron
VEry nice! The button on that Dunhill looks brand new! Lots of intensive stem work there. :appl:
Yea, and what you didn't see in the one "before" picture of the Four Dot was the bite through on the underside and the mangled button. The Four Dot had some very intensive stem work. Like I said, Anthony does outstanding work.
And, they smoke better than they look!!

GeorgeD

Fun info bit: The extreme wasp waist profile on 1949 LB F/T stems seems to have been a single shop worker who delivered it come hell or high water... until he didn't. Either Dunhill deliberately ran an experiment of sorts and decided to end it, or someone went a bit rogue who eventually got shut down.

No one will ever know the story, of course, but tiny mysteries like that are part of what gives the old English stuff its charm.

And, of course, ANYTHING charming will trigger a collector or two. As in, yup, there are a few guys out there with a rack of nothing but '49 F/T LBs. :love:

Here's a smooth one:

kxg

Patron
Fun info bit: The extreme wasp waist profile on 1949 LB F/T stems seems to have been a single shop worker who delivered it come hell or high water... until he didn't. Either Dunhill deliberately ran an experiment of sorts and decided to end it, or someone went a bit rogue who eventually got shut down.

No one will ever know the story, of course, but tiny mysteries like that are part of what gives the old English stuff its charm.

And, of course, ANYTHING charming will trigger a collector or two. As in, yup, there are a few guys out there with a rack of nothing but '49 F/T LBs. :love:

Here's a smooth one:

That is an interesting bit of information George. I had no idea I had a pipe with a back story. Whatever the reason for the bit shape, the pipe smokes quite well. I'm looking forward toward it being well smoked again.

GeorgeD

C'mon guys... Anthony doesn't even do what you're seeing.

He has a phonebooth-sized time machine in his basement that lets him go back and intercept the pipe when it was first made, then returns with it.

Ask him to work on something that won't FIT into the time machine with him, and watch the excuses fly...

You are so gullible. :hahaha-024:

tipofthelake

CAUTION: think twice before taking seriously
Patron
C'mon guys... Anthony doesn't even do what you're seeing.

He has a phonebooth-sized time machine in his basement that lets him go back and intercept the pipe when it was first made, then returns with it.

Ask him to work on something that won't FIT into the time machine with him, and watch the excuses fly...

You are so gullible. :hahaha-024:
Hmmm, I may have to make him an offer to let me change a few key life decisions...:unsure:

Nah, eff it.