About ready to give up.

N80

If you can't question it, it isn't science.
Sales
I have had a long string of bad luck and stupid mistakes. With the pipe shown below I made a stupid drilling error in the stummel. Threw it away and started over but kept the stem since it was nearly done and had turned out fairly well. The stummel below has some pits but the grain is nice and I was happy with the shaping. I was wiping the first coat of dye off of it and had the stummel on a long piece of Delrin as a handle. I guess I was wiping too vigorously and because the Delrin was long and the end of the mortise was thin walled the leverage cracked it as shown below. I thought I was going to cry.

This pipe is for me so if I could have found the chunk that is missing I probably would have glued it up. The mortise and tenon are long enough that the stem will still stay in securely even with the chunk missing. Could not find it anywhere on the filthy floor or my shop.

So, I think I'm going to step back for a while and regroup. Its not that i make a lot of pipes. Four or five a year.

Anyway, once the frustration is worn off I might try to cut the shank back make a ring out of ivorite to go in place of the lost briar. But, the ivorite ring will be small, it will have to be drilled perfectly and perfectly faced on both ends and then matched to fit the stem and remaining shank which will also have to be faced perfectly. As the Myth Busters used to say, "Failure is always an option."

IMG_2502.jpg

Sasquatch

May Cause Drowsiness
Staff Member
I chide new pipe makers on facebook or on the pipe making forum - anyone who wants to start making pipes, my advice is take 400 bucks and flush it down the toilet, watch it swirl, wonder what the hell you are doing. Then buy a Castello, same day. You're out 800 bucks or so at this point, but you have 1 decent pipe to show for it, whereas, if you insist on MAKING the damn things... well, I pity the fool.

I have a nice shop, I have lots of briar. I have a big compressor and a crappy sandblast cabinet, a couple of lathes. PIpe making bought NONE of that stuff. None. Vinyl decks, fences, tile, hot days out in the sun, that bought my pipe making stuff. Making pipes is awful, it's difficult, frustrating, stupid.

I'd say that piece of briar had a problem, honestly. It's not like a delrin tenon is wedge shaped or something... the briar failed. That sucks. And maybe you have 3 of those from a certain vendor and you say "Hell with that" and buy different wood. But in truth, it just is a thing that happens and you move on. I put about 5 hours into a really promising Oom Paul the other week before I realized that I was chasing a pit INto the chamber. And yeah, had I done a better inspection after drilling, I would have noticed. But I didn't. Half a goddam day gone, and a 30 dollar piece of wood. Nah it's awful.

But it's more addictive than heroin too, so you go back.

nineX19guy

I have had a long string of bad luck and stupid mistakes. With the pipe shown below I made a stupid drilling error in the stummel. Threw it away and started over but kept the stem since it was nearly done and had turned out fairly well. The stummel below has some pits but the grain is nice and I was happy with the shaping. I was wiping the first coat of dye off of it and had the stummel on a long piece of Delrin as a handle. I guess I was wiping too vigorously and because the Delrin was long and the end of the mortise was thin walled the leverage cracked it as shown below. I thought I was going to cry.

This pipe is for me so if I could have found the chunk that is missing I probably would have glued it up. The mortise and tenon are long enough that the stem will still stay in securely even with the chunk missing. Could not find it anywhere on the filthy floor or my shop.

So, I think I'm going to step back for a while and regroup. Its not that i make a lot of pipes. Four or five a year.

Anyway, once the frustration is worn off I might try to cut the shank back make a ring out of ivorite to go in place of the lost briar. But, the ivorite ring will be small, it will have to be drilled perfectly and perfectly faced on both ends and then matched to fit the stem and remaining shank which will also have to be faced perfectly. As the Myth Busters used to say, "Failure is always an option."

View attachment 163712
How about I send you some deer antler to make a section of stem with?

Wapask.204

Patron
Sales
Don't give up, carp happens but of you give up then you're just a... a bloody giver upper! 🤣 That is a beautiful pipe and a mistake was made that you know you won't make in the future. In your posts I've seen good work for someone who only makes a handful of pipes a year.

Looking forward to seeing the repair after pic!

N80

If you can't question it, it isn't science.
Sales
So here's the final product. Far from perfect but at least it is a usable pipe instead of trash. I had some vulcanite plates of varying thicknesses and that's what I used instead of an ivorite ring. The plates are flat so there was no need to face surface them. Just got the shank end as flat as possible. This worked well but getting the vulcanite ring perfectly flush and flat was difficult no matter what techniques I used with sanding so it is ever so slightly but visibly barrel shaped. Anyway, I've got another unsellable but functional pipe.

IMG_2504.jpgIMG_2507.jpgIMG_2505.jpgIMG_2506.jpg

Top Bottom