Advice for repairing a wiebe radiator pipe - type of glue?

#1
Hello,

I had a small accident yesterday with my relatively new wiebe radiator bent pipe. The metal stem twisted somewhat. I thus decided to remove it completely in order to try to glue it properly again. After leaving the shank in boiling water for about 10 minutes, i was able to easily remove the stem from the base (see attached photo).

I would like to ask what type of glue do you think I should use? The base is anodized aluminum and the stem is stainless steel.

I don't know if it helps with identifying the type that was originally used, but I noticed that after boiling, the stem was removed with no big effort and i wiped out the very small amount of residue very easily with a plain paper napkin. I am thus inclined to believe that it was not superglue, which from my experience is harder to clean.

Thank you for your time.

20210222_160306.jpg
 

SonoranHotDog

Pass the Jalapeños
#2
Is it possible that it was/is a friction fit that was overcome by the dissimilar expansion of the two metals? If not, then is the fit very close? If close fit, any glue -- probably Elmer's -- will do. If not close, then Liquid Steel or some other "putty-like" polymer I suspect. I'd use something non-catalyzed if that will hold it so that it can be taken apart again in the future. Hot glue is almost always a good choice.
 
#4
Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

Lok-tite (for threaded parts - the red one) I have used for various fixings in bicycles, nevertheless since the stem is not threaded I am not sure if it can provide sufficient strength. I could give it a try though. I have also contemplated cutting some threads to the parts but this can turn into a somewhat expensive endeavor.

This was not a friction fit, It is a bit tight, but some type of adhesive was definitely used. I will search the types you mention. Thank you.
 

SmokeRings

Well-known member
Patron
#20
Exhaust manifolds attach to the heads of a 318. On a flathead Ford V8 they attach to the block.
Yes they do, and using that particular adhesive there was no part of any of that motor coming apart any time soon, this was one of my first attempts at replacing the head gasket (and all the other associated ones you tear up getting to it) on a motor and I didn't know that there were different sorts of loctite available, I was told to use loctite so I grabbed some and in typically manly fashion proceeded to shun direction reading, it led to predictably bad results, fortunately a family friend needed a truck to fit a different motor and I sold it to him since he was yanking the old motor out anyway and he had a good laugh at me about my foolishness