Advice on plug cutters

Summer69

My good friend’s wife approached me in search of a vintage or cool looking plug cutter......that works. Well, personally I have a very nice knife that I use for my rare plug work. The fact that she is devilishly looking for a surprise gift of which I have zero knowledge, I come to you. Can one find a nice piece that is new or do I need to search auction sites and hope it actually works?

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I know that every community is different.
But, by general standards, my community does not offer many tobacco-related items on the local Craigslist compared to other metropolitan areas.

Still, I've seen a handful of cutters on local Craigslist ads for decent prices. Some would require a little restoration. Others are ready to go.

So, my hunt for a cutter would start on CL.

SmokeRings

Patron
Presuming that she is looking for this cutter as a gift, finding an old one and restoring it to like-new condition would be a very, very cool gift idea, as far as new ones, it's not a terribly common thing considering how few plugs there are anymore, and how few people are involved in using them, so I wouldn't be especially optimistic personally on finding a new one.

Summer69

the best of luck on finding a new one.
There are lots of em on ebay, some nice some junk.
The one listed above is in fairly good shape, although the blade is pretty worn.

The blade can be replaced.
Where would one find a new blade?
Also much thanks for your responses! This is excellent information.

Mrm1775

Sales
Where would one find a new blade?
Also much thanks for your responses! This is excellent information.
Depends how industrious one is.
It could be cut from a saw blade or replaced with a piece of proper thickness tool steel.
The original blade might be able to be honed sharp, all depending on how much wear it has.
Your not going to have much luck finding an " oem replacement ".
If it's replaced, just make sure the material is the same thickness so it will freely move within the guides.
Also notice that the cutting blade is only beveled on one side, this is important.

Summer69

Depends how industrious one is.
It could be cut from a saw blade or replaced with a piece of proper thickness tool steel.
The original blade might be able to be honed sharp, all depending on how much wear it has.
Your not going to have much luck finding an " oem replacement ".
If it's replaced, just make sure the material is the same thickness so it will freely move within the guides.
Also notice that the cutting blade is only beveled on one side, this is important.
Copy all that, thank you a bunch!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you search through George Dibos' post history on this site, he has a real good series of posts on how to modify a plug cutter to slice tobacco. As he explains it, the original purpose of the plug cutters were to cut rope and brick into approximately sized plugs, not to get thin slices out of it.

Of course, now I go look, and I can't find his posts... or even remember his username. So maybe it was on the old PSF and not on the new PSD.

So the point of the story, a plug cutter is for cutting a big thing into smaller, more managable things. It is not, unmodified, a viable tobacco slicer. If you need a slicer, you will have to alter the device a bit.