AKB Meerschaum Pipe

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
To be honest, I never looked at them before but they seem to indicate the carver for most of the pipes. I've got an older Tekin where he used the old screw type tenon and a newer one where he used the briar style. The site doesn't seem to show the stem attachment style so it may be worth asking about that first.

Ray Mackessy

To be honest, I never looked at them before but they seem to indicate the carver for most of the pipes. I've got an older Tekin where he used the old screw type tenon and a newer one where he used the briar style. The site doesn't seem to show the stem attachment style so it may be worth asking about that first.
I e-mailed Smoking Pipes and they advised that the tenons on AKB meerschaums are the push type tenons. Is this type tenon good or bad? The carver is "Ali".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I e-mailed Smoking Pipes and they advised that the tenons on AKB meerschaums are the push type tenons. Is this type tenon good or bad? The carver is "Ali".
I consider "push type" tenons to be a good thing, because it usually means that the shank is reinforced by a Delrin/nylon insert.

Often "screw type" tenons just screw into threading in the Meerschaum, which is not so great in my opinion. Meerschaum is delicate, and stripping the threads seems all too easy.

blackmouth210

Patron
I consider "push type" tenons to be a good thing, because it usually means that the shank is reinforced by a Delrin/nylon insert.

Often "screw type" tenons just screw into threading in the Meerschaum, which is not so great in my opinion. Meerschaum is delicate, and stripping the threads seems all too easy.
^^This^^
I'll take a push in tenon over a screw-in every time.

Some meers have an older “push style” tenon that is still not much better than the screw in type. I bought one like that from SP after they assured me it was push style. They did take it back though so you don’t have much to lose buying from them. Some of the AKBs are carved by Tekin. He has very good engineering but clunky buttons.

But "briar type" is probably better than push fit. Push fit probably means these:
View attachment 24420
Which in my limited experience are not great.
Those are exactly what I was just talking about. Except I asked the SP folks in an email if it was a briar type and that still showed up. No substitute for putting your own eyes on it. ETA looking back we were probably talking at cross purposes in that exchange. They take any unsmoked pipe back though.