Altinay and other Meerschaums

BootCampBob

It’s been my experience that the biggest / most consistent issue with meers is their ability to pass a pipe cleaner with any relative ease. This isn’t a specific carver issue, but one in general. I only buy meers in person and test the pipe cleaner passage myself.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Altinay has a solid reputation at that price point.

I do not think all meers are the same.
One major consideration is the use of a push tenon instead of a screw tenon- allowing a better draft and reducing potential problems in the future.

Fikri Baki meers are outstanding. Internal engineering and handcut stems are comparable to high end briar. Altinok are quite good.
IMP had many loyalists.

Lots of the best looking meers (i.e., Yanik) are completely wonky internally. If you're buying without inspecting the pipe in person make sure they allow returns or exchanges.

Chasing Embers

I've got my sixth IMP since April coming in. No pipe cleaner issues with any of them. Altinays are a bit small for my liking. I've got pipes from AKB, Kenan, Emin Brothers, and Yanik and love each one but the Yanik's airway is a bit difficult to reach with a pipe cleaner even when the stem is off.

Xanad00Piper

I've got my sixth IMP since April coming in. No pipe cleaner issues with any of them. Altinays are a bit small for my liking. I've got pipes from AKB, Kenan, Emin Brothers, and Yanik and love each one but the Yanik's airway is a bit difficult to reach with a pipe cleaner even when the stem is off.
there's a Yanik Bicycle I was looking at today- tempting thought

Bigk40k

I only have 3 meers an Altinay, Tekin, and I. Baglan. But out of them I would rate my Altinay as the best. Its a military mount but can pass a cleaner with no trouble. My Tekin while nice cant pass a cleaner. I can feel the cleaner hit the insert in the mortise.
The Altinay is also really start to color well after only about 20 bowls.
20210905_233136.jpg

Top Bottom