What's new

And You Thought That Ebay Was Pricey...

Robert Hardy

I was checking out 4noggins consignment section after browsing Pipestud's site and I was blown away by the prices. For the measly sum of $1500 USD (which converts to about 2.2 million CDN) you can have a tin of EMP from 1972 ! There's some interesting tins there but not as those prices. I was appalled at the helpful suggestion at the top of the page that tell you that to rehydrate a tin you just have to add moisture. NOOOOOO.:popc:

blackmouth210

The fact is, nobody is going to drop that kind of coin for a tin of EMP. I recently saw a tall tin of 1970's Sobranie go for close to $500 and that's a much more desirable tin.
Well, I wouldn't say "nobody".
I never underestimate the foolishness of my fellow man.

George Carlin put it best when he said something like, "Think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize, half the people are stupider than that!"

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I sometimes go to the consignment tins section of the 4Noggins site, something about it just makes me smile.
I just checked that! Never seen it before. Did a quick mental calculation of their prices based on recent prices I paid for the same item. Looks like I saved myself about seven grand by buying elsewhere. The party's at my house! :banana:

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
The sad truth is this---certain tobaccos are no longer being produced, certain people have un-opened containers of those tobaccos, certain people are willing to pay what ever they see as a value to obtain those tobaccos.
For many, and most of us we simply cannot, and would not pay what is being asked by some sellers. It's all about what a specific individual is willing to pay to obtain these things. Out there--some place--is that one person who says--"I must have that."

Robert Hardy

And unfortunately the main changes seem to have been increased prices and in-house flipping of new Esoterica and Germain's blends. :(
I had noticed the same thing about Esoterica and Germain's as well. If I was in his position I would rather sell a tin for $70 to a buyer in Asia that for $14 to a buyer in North America. Price SHOULD reflect demand and it doesn't in the tobacco market. Don't judge me, I just a little more forthright that most.