What's new

And You Thought That Ebay Was Pricey...

blackmouth210

I had noticed the same thing about Esoterica and Germain's as well. If I was in his position I would rather sell a tin for $70 to a buyer in Asia that for $14 to a buyer in North America. Price SHOULD reflect demand and it doesn't in the tobacco market. Don't judge me, I just a little more forthright that most.
4noggins ships to Asia?
I know the site says so. But I thought that had stopped. If so, that's pretty cool.

StompyMcFat

I had noticed the same thing about Esoterica and Germain's as well. If I was in his position I would rather sell a tin for $70 to a buyer in Asia that for $14 to a buyer in North America. Price SHOULD reflect demand and it doesn't in the tobacco market. Don't judge me, I just a little more forthright that most.
Fair enough. Many of us have probably sold a pipe for far more than we paid due to inflation and demand. Baki seems to be doing the same calculations with regards to his meershcaums. I can't fault someone for exploring the market value of their goods.

sablebrush52

Patron
The sad truth is this---certain tobaccos are no longer being produced, certain people have un-opened containers of those tobaccos, certain people are willing to pay what ever they see as a value to obtain those tobaccos.
For many, and most of us we simply cannot, and would not pay what is being asked by some sellers. It's all about what a specific individual is willing to pay to obtain these things. Out there--some place--is that one person who says--"I must have that."
Well, now you're being rational. Where's the fun in that?

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
Well, I wouldn't say "nobody".
I never underestimate the foolishness of my fellow man.

George Carlin put it best when he said something like, "Think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize, half the people are stupider than that!"
George Carlin failed in math. If you take the average person then he is in the middle, so if those who are average in the middle then at least 48 percent of the people are stupider, the other 48 percent would be smarter.

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
George Carlin failed in math. If you take the average person then he is in the middle, so if those who are average in the middle then at least 48 percent of the people are stupider, the other 48 percent would be smarter.
Carlin is correct in the use of 0.5 quantile median (x^p) where using an odd numbered data set produces a 50/50 result.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
Well, now you're being rational. Where's the fun in that?
You are absolutely right. When I deal daily with people I see those who are so caught up in vanity, self, and spend money like water on stuff that leaves me scratching me head--not in jealousy, but in shear wonder of it all.---hhhuummmmm-----rational thinking--it's not as common as it used to be.:bigyellowgrin:
However--It is not my job, nor would I ever count another mans money, and how he spends it.

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
Carlin is correct in the use of 0.5 quantile median (x^p) where using an odd numbered data set produces a 50/50 result.
But to reach an average number you must have both a low number and a high number. So if 50% of the people is dumber than the average, 50% must also be smarter than the average.