What's new

Antique Pipes That Are Not Bulldogs

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
Some of you guys really seemed to enjoy the antique bulldog thread. I did too. I decided to go ahead and post all the rest of the antique pipes I have/have had. I'm just going to open a file and go down the list.

This is a large cased CPF with a Bakelite stem and a very cool cap and band. It's probably a 19 teens pipe. The condition is excellent. I love this pipe!

CPF Cased FB Bakelite Fancy 2.JPG

Steve Wright

Blissfully unaware
Sales
Some of you guys really seemed to enjoy the antique bulldog thread. I did too. I decided to go ahead and post all the rest of the antique pipes I have/have had. I'm just going to open a file and go down the list.

This is a large cased CPF with a Bakelite stem and a very cool cap and band. It's probably a 19 teens pipe. The condition is excellent. I love this pipe!

View attachment 20382
Is the cap and band silver? Nice pipe

Danish

Really nice pipes and history here, xrundog, thanks. Regarding actually smoking these antiques, I guess you will have to live with or get used to the thick bites and big buttons of that time (like the later Viennese meerschaums with genuine or cultured amber stems). Do they pass a pipe cleaner? Is there any special way you enjoy/treat your antique pipes?

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
Most of these pipes do pass a cleaner. Some of the meerschaums are pierced style. The shank is drilled below the bowl and the bowl is pierced the meet the airway. They can be hard to clean.

@xrundog do You think those stems could be made thinner or would they be too fragile? Norm.
The stems could probably be thinner. Bakelite is pretty durable. But really, once you get used to the feel of the thicker stem it isn't a problem. And as a clencher I prefer a substantial bit. I think these are great! I keep my old pipes fairly clean, but otherwise don't treat them special. I guess I'm pretty attentive to my pipes in general.

Here's another favorite. It's a Manhattan Bakelite Conley Canadian. My guess is it dates to about 1920. It's a great looking, great smoking pipe!

Manhattan Bakelite Large Canadian 1.JPG

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
This is the Manhattan Bakelite screw in bowl pipe. There are various incarnations of this idea. I had an older one that was all wood. Some of them are really basic. This is one of the nicer ones. Base and stem are cherry bakelite. The bowl has fairly thick walls and has a nice appearance. It probably cost a bit more than the others at the time.

Manhattan Bakelite Replaceable bowl.JPG