Any Suggestions?

Governator

I like Black Cavedish, Sutliff Pumpkin Pie, Erin Go Bragh, Half And Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, Haunted Bookshop, Bayou Morning, Orlik Dark Kentucky, and Bullseye.

I also have currently on hand Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman and Velvet both of which I enjoy but I wouldn't necessarily rank as my top favorites.

I also have a tin of Presbyterian I come back to it every so often not sure what to make out of it has kinda of an incense or leather quality.

I'm on my third pouch of Half And Half, and second pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh, second tin of Orlik Dark Kentucky and I'll be opening my second tin of Bayou Morning.

Oddly those pouches seem easier to go through than my tins but the tins are usually 2 ounces whereas the pouches are 1.5 ounces.

Black Cavedish was my go to safe blend for years but I've moved away from aromatics mostly smoke Burleys, Virginas, Perique, and Dark Kentucky.

I have learned to use the breathing method which helped me enjoy other types of tobaccos.

I was stuff puffing on aromatic for a decade...

Samuel Gawith had a few I wanted to try but all the online retailers are sold out.

Of the ones I wanted to try were Firedance, Black Forrest, Squadron Leader, Kendal Kreme, and Black XX.

I would also like to try are Mcconnell Scottish Flake and Scottish Cake, Macbaren Acadia, Dark Twist, and Cornel Diehl Bayou Morning Flake and Bayou Night.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank You

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Ok so you're well steeped in cavendish and aromatics and are currently enjoying old-fashioned Virginia-Burleys (like SWR and Half & Half). And it sounds like you enjoy some spice (Old Dark Kentucky). And maybe you're not a fan of Orientals and latakia, because those are definitely responsible for the "incense or leathery" components of Presbyterian (maybe "smokey" also applies?). Based on your list of "wants" I'd say you're looking for darker and stronger smokes.

The first thing that popped into my mind to recommend was MacBaren Old Dark Fired. It's actually available, and you'll like it. Another MacBaren product you might want to check out is Savinelli D'Oblone D'Oro.

It's a bummer that so many blends are difficult/impossible to buy right now but there are many many fish in the sea. I'm a big fan of independent blenders and I'd encourage you to check out the online menus at places like Ken Byron Ventures (KBV), LC Peretti Co, Uhle Tobacco, Watch City Cigars, and Wilke Tobacco. Their menus will help you figure out your preferences, and most of them sell samplers. Several of their blenders/owners are members here.

And if you stick around for a bit you'll be able to trade (that subforum will open to you shortly). The FNG/FOG subforum may be very helpful to you;-)

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
Ok so you're well steeped in cavendish and aromatics and are currently enjoying old-fashioned Virginia-Burleys (like SWR and Half & Half). And it sounds like you enjoy some spice (Old Dark Kentucky). And maybe you're not a fan of Orientals and latakia, because those are definitely responsible for the "incense or leathery" components of Presbyterian (maybe "smokey" also applies?). Based on your list of "wants" I'd say you're looking for darker and stronger smokes.

The first thing that popped into my mind to recommend was MacBaren Old Dark Fired. It's actually available, and you'll like it. Another MacBaren product you might want to check out is Savinelli D'Oblone D'Oro.

It's a bummer that so many blends are difficult/impossible to buy right now but there are many many fish in the sea. I'm a big fan of independent blenders and I'd encourage you to check out the online menus at places like Ken Byron Ventures (KBV), LC Peretti Co, Uhle Tobacco, Watch City Cigars, and Wilke Tobacco. Their menus will help you figure out your preferences, and most of them sell samplers. Several of their blenders/owners are members here.

And if you stick around for a bit you'll be able to trade (that subforum will open to you shortly). The FNG/FOG subforum may be very helpful to you;-)
This is the best advice you'll be given. (y)

Governator

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely consider those blends.

I'm wondering if changing Pipes might make the Presbyterian more to my liking.

I definitely like dark blends anything with Perique or Dark Kentucky.

But I also like Burleys and Virginias.

I currently have a Fero Pipe dedicated to Presbyterian I got two Fero Pipes for fourty bucks at a local shop.

One Pipe I only smoke the Presbyterian out of but the other one has been dedicated to flakes but mostly I have smoked my Dark Kentucky out of it.

I'm wondering if switching to a higher grade briar or using Meerschaum or Clay would change the experience?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
.. I'm wondering if switching to a higher grade briar or using Meerschaum or Clay would change the experience?
Well I'm a bit of a pipe snob so I always encourage new folks to buy the best pipes they can. If you are a clencher, for example, a well made hand-cut stem will make you dislike anything inferior ("get that Dr. Grabow away from me!"). There are dogs and winners at evey price point in the pipe world but as a general statement spending a little more money will get you better materials (briar and stem), improved fit and finish (Castello vrs. Savinelli), and better product consistency (drilled correctly, shaped correctly, etc.).

But if you do not like English blends (and that's ok, lots of people dislike them) no pipe will magically turn your water into wine.

Last edited:

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely consider those blends.

I'm wondering if changing Pipes might make the Presbyterian more to my liking.

I definitely like dark blends anything with Perique or Dark Kentucky.

But I also like Burleys and Virginias.

I currently have a Fero Pipe dedicated to Presbyterian I got two Fero Pipes for fourty bucks at a local shop.

One Pipe I only smoke the Presbyterian out of but the other one has been dedicated to flakes but mostly I have smoked my Dark Kentucky out of it.

I'm wondering if switching to a higher grade briar or using Meerschaum or Clay would change the experience?
To your last question, you might try a meaty corncob like a country gent or twain. It's a very neutral material and typically smokes drier than briar.

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
To your last question, you might try a meaty corncob like a country gent or twain. It's a very neutral material and typically smokes drier than briar.
I agree whole heartedly! Get a Missouri Meerschaum cob and then get a Forever Stem from Vermont Freehand for it. The cob may die some day with a lot of use, but the stem will last forever. (See what I did there?)
Also with a cob, ya gotta smoke a few bowls in it or you'll just get this wood taste for the first few bowls and not enjoy it.
I remember the first time I tried Carter Hall it was in a brand new cob. Did not like it. Then I read that a cob needs to be seasoned a bit (5-7 bowls) and then it will sing.
So...….
It worked! I absolutely love any burley in a cob.

With regards to @Spillproof excellent choices of blenders, I would also check out Boswells Pipes in Chambersburg, Pa. Dan is a fantastic blender and makes some of my all time favorite blends.

Enjoy the discovery journey!

Governator

Thanks I have quite the collection of corn cobs.

I have a Country Gentleman Straight, St Patrick Bent, Pot of Gold Straight, Cobbit Shire, Little Devil Cutty, Bing Crosby, and a Huck Finn.

I'm wanting to get a Charles Town Cobbler and Let Freedom Ring Set.

I smoke a lot out of corn cobs I have one dedicated to Bayou Morning because I smoked so much of that blend the Perique ghosted the pipe.

Other pipes I have dedicated to burley blends and flakes.

But now that you suggested it I did see some stubby corn cobs on there. πŸ€”

Thanks for the suggestions. 😊

Governator

I agree whole heartedly! Get a Missouri Meerschaum cob and then get a Forever Stem from Vermont Freehand for it. The cob may die some day with a lot of use, but the stem will last forever. (See what I did there?)
Also with a cob, ya gotta smoke a few bowls in it or you'll just get this wood taste for the first few bowls and not enjoy it.
I remember the first time I tried Carter Hall it was in a brand new cob. Did not like it. Then I read that a cob needs to be seasoned a bit (5-7 bowls) and then it will sing.
So...….

With regards to @Spillproof excellent choices of blenders, I would also check out Boswells Pipes in Chambersburg, Pa. Dan is a fantastic blender and makes some of my all time favorite blends.

Enjoy the discovery journey!
Hmm I wonder if I could get a swampy color for my Country Gentleman because when I think of the Bayou Morning blend I think of Swamp Thing. 😝

It's also a running joke I have a French last name a popular name too they even make a baby diaper cream with my last name just drop the X same surname and same pronunciation.

But my family was originally from France and some from Canada however my grandparents and great aunts and uncles and cousins I have never met come from and are still in Kankakee and Bourbanis Illinois.

Long story short I live in the Central Valley of California but being of French descent and having what is perceived to be a Cajun last name actually just a French and possibly Acadian name I like to joke that I am from the Bayous.

I'll have to look into those stens I need to buy some more softy bits but I need a smaller size for some pipes.

Governator

So...….
I hated Carter Hall but so far all the other blends Half and Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Velvet, plus Haunted Bookshop I enjoy.

It's probably because my pipe wasn't seasoned very well.

I'll have to retry Carter Hall and I still want to try Prince Albert.

I've noticed some of them run real close to the same I think Velvet and Sir Walter Raleigh are real close but I love me some Sir Walter Raleigh.

I need to invest in the large tins of both Half and Half and Sir Walter Raleigh.

I go through those 1.5 ounce pouches more than I do 2 ounce tin of Cornel Diehl blends.

Governator

I was able to hunt down some Samuel Gawith from a site suggested for buying pipes.

I decided to hold off on a new pipe for now but I wanted to get some tobaccos I wanted to try.

Pipes and Cigars prices were more in my budget so I decided to be patient and hold off on Samuel Gawith for now.

Samuel Gawith has a blend called Chocolate Flake which is an English blend but is supposed to be a good intermediate blend.

So I looked at something close and ordered Sutliff Voodoo Queen and I ordered some blends on my list Bayou Morning Flake and Macbaren Acadian Perique.

I also wanted to try some Lakeside that was available but It's probably not too much different than Orlik Dark Kentucky.

Next purchase will be some suggestions here but also Bayou Night and First Responder.

That one made me think of you @BlueMaxx

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobi...rst-responders-pipe-tobacco/1472742/#p-120090

Macbaren isn't a brand I've explored much but they are known for their good bakky.

Years ago I bought Peterson Sherlock Holmes twice once I tossed it another time I gave it back to the shop I bought it from.

It's a Virgina and Burley blend and I certainly love those but only because someone gave me a good Virginia blend and I learned the breathing method from Muttonchop Piper

It's funny how the technique you use and the introduction of a blend can change your perspective.

I couldn't appreciate Sherlock Holmes because it wasn't a good introduction to Virginas and Burleys and I didn't get the most out of my tobacco because I hadn't been taught the breathing methods and other techniques.

So hoping I like the Voodoo Queen and of not that's fine I'll send it to some fellow curmudgeons I know

Last edited: