Aristocob pipe mud.

SmokeRings

Elitist Bastard
Patron
Not to put to fine a point on it, but the question seems wrong to me..."is ordinary ash giving me any reason to seek an alternative" would seem more pressing, not to mention most folks recommend cigar ash...I'll not insult your intelligence by telling you how easily obtained that stuff is

tech49

I use Aristocob's pipe mud to fix up the bottoms of the chambers on new cobs before I smoke them. The stuff dries like mortar, very hard.

I have a Terry Mincer Doodler that had two cracks in the chamber, and Aristcob's stuff worked way better than the honey and ash mixture I was using before.

I can say as a matter of course that I have used Aristocob Pipe Mud extensively to level out the bottoms of all my cobs so they would be even at the draught hole. I also use a chisel and sandpaper to take out the stem extension in the bowl beforehand. It's a little fiddly and certainly not for everyone, but I feel as though it has improved my cob experience for sure.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
Wouldn't it be easier to remove the stem, trim it and glue it back?
Seems like it would be even easier to follow Doug's guidelines:
  • You will see the end of the shank protruding into the bowl. It is supposed to be there. Do not remove it.
  • There does not seem to be much difference in results between smoking 1/2 bowls as opposed to full bowls.
  • I like a couple of 1/2 bowls to start so I don't have to smoke through the original off taste.
  • Smoke it down until you smell and/or taste wood burning. Then set it down and let it smolder until it goes out.
  • Using the blunt scraper blade of your pipe tool clear out the ash and dottle down to the level of the shank. You want the ash and dottle to settle into the nooks and crannies under the shank. This will build into a solid rounded bottom to the chamber.

• You will see the end of the shank protruding into the bowl. It is supposed to be there. Do not remove it.
  • There does not seem to be much difference in results between smoking 1/2 bowls as opposed to full bowls.
  • I like a couple of 1/2 bowls to start so I don't have to smoke through the original off taste.
  • Smoke it down until you smell and/or taste wood burning. Then set it down and let it smolder until it goes out.
  • Using the blunt scraper blade of your pipe tool clear out the ash and dottle down to the level of the shank. You want the ash and dottle to settle into the nooks and crannies under the shank. This will build into a solid rounded bottom to the chamber.
I do not care for the shank protrusion nor the taste of it burning. My method works for me, and I am happy with it as I also enjoy the process of modifying the cob. It is definitely not for everyone. But, I will say that as a part of this process, I find the Pipe Mud from Aristocob invaluable.

jpberg

Wicked Insightful
Staff member
Sales
Call me old fashioned, but I believe this is the way to smoke in a cob.

Notice I said smoke in, not break in. Fire does the whole trick.

Top Bottom