Author shapes

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
I saw a Dunhill on mkelaw's site from 1973, but it's a filter pipe and I've never cottoned to filter pipes smoked without a filter. It made me realize I almost never seem to see authors.

Savinelli chubby authors certainly seem to be booming though not for me, but looking at Al Pascia, there's no authors in sight on the Dunhill page and I'd peg them as being a brand that would have them in spades.

Where'd these go and why don't we see more of them?

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Scottie Piersel and Mark Tinsky make nice authors. They cost less than a Dunhill but come with all of the prestige of a Dunhill (maybe more IMO).

Savinelli does make non-filtered authors in a couple of lines.
For factory authors other than Savinelli, but at the Sav's price, look at Briarworks and Brebbia. Each of those factories make non-filtered authors, too.

Drydock

Briarworks, as stated above by blackmouth210, has a decent selection and a nice shape. I like the smaller 321 Savinelli author. Rossi authors show up semi-regularly and are attractively priced. Scottie makes gorgeous authors & I'd be honored to have one of her pipes--just a) out of budget and b) *luckily* I haven't cared for the colored stems that she's used on the author range. Luckily, because if she made one with a stem color I liked, budget be damned!

tvJefe

Briarworks, as stated above by blackmouth210, has a decent selection and a nice shape. I like the smaller 321 Savinelli author. Rossi authors show up semi-regularly and are attractively priced. Scottie makes gorgeous authors & I'd be honored to have one of her pipes--just a) out of budget and b) *luckily* I haven't cared for the colored stems that she's used on the author range. Luckily, because if she made one with a stem color I liked, budget be damned!
Scottie takes commissions. I have a gorgeous Bing from her with my initials engraved into the silver band. The process was super fun. She sent pics of the progress every few days.

Riff Raff

I try to keep the Authors and Rhodesians separate.
My group:
Comoy's 256
Dunhill CK (although this CK looks more Rhodesian than any other CK I've seen)
Sasieni Ashfords Four Dots (Natural, Ruff Root & Rustic finishes)
Vollmer & Nillson

Attachments

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I try to keep the Authors and Rhodesians separate.
My group:
Comoy's 256
Dunhill CK (although this CK looks more Rhodesian than any other CK I've seen)
Sasieni Ashfords Four Dots (Natural, Ruff Root & Rustic finishes)
Vollmer & Nillson
Ooh, that's cool.

I've never seen a CK with the "crease" in the bowl, like a Rhodesian. Still has the big, meaty shank of a CK author, though.

Mis-stamp, or just a little whimsy in the shaping?

Riff Raff

No clue! I actually tried to research the origins of the CK shape, even contacted Rich Esserman, who had no clue. It was made in '69 and came from seller in the UK. Perhaps just a UK only version?

Here's my '71, more of a traditional CK shape. (since sold)

Ooh, that's cool.

I've never seen a CK with the "crease" in the bowl, like a Rhodesian. Still has the big, meaty shank of a CK author, though.

Mis-stamp, or just a little whimsy in the shaping?