B&M shops

SmokeRings

Patron
I'll second Rich's in Portland, years ago they also had a wicked magazine (and more importantly comic book) selection.

82nd Street Tobacco is also out there, mostly a glass shop but it has a decent selection of cigars and of tobacco, pipe selection is rough but you can't have everything right?

There's also a shop down there by the Sportsman's Warehouse on Johnson Creek but the name escapes me, same side of the road as Sportsman's, between it and the Walmart, not brilliant but better than a poke in the eye, can't recall the name.

Hawky454

I'll second Rich's in Portland, years ago they also had a wicked magazine (and more importantly comic book) selection.

82nd Street Tobacco is also out there, mostly a glass shop but it has a decent selection of cigars and of tobacco, pipe selection is rough but you can't have everything right?

There's also a shop down there by the Sportsman's Warehouse on Johnson Creek but the name escapes me, same side of the road as Sportsman's, between it and the Walmart, not brilliant but better than a poke in the eye, can't recall the name.
Actually 82nd Street Tobacco had an awesome selection of tobacco, at least when I lived in Portland. A bit cheaper than Rich’s too. Rich’s did a have a great selection, probably the best I’ve ever seen. I made friends with one of the employees there and he’d always hold bags of Esoterica for me... good friend to have. Damn, I miss Portland but I don’t miss the prices.

Jhelms

I was in Portland and Vancouver last year. I wish this topic had been posted back then.

JerseyPiper

Greentree Tobacco in Sewell, NJ.

They have some higher end pipes. Nice Petersons, Savinelli Autographs, CAO Meerschaums, Peterson Sherlock Holmes Meerschaums. You can tell that the expensive pipes have been sitting there forever - lots of oxidation on the stems.

Theres also a bunch of MM cobs and some basket pipes as well as stands, pouches, bags, etc. As far as tobacco selection goes, its somewhat limited. A handful of tins and maybe a dozen or so bulk blends.

I get my pipe cleaners from them just to check in from time to time. I do have my eyes on those Peterson Meers - I don't even know where you could get one online. They have at least 4 left the last time I stopped in.

Sentient.

Nearly lifelike.
Patron
Riegel's Pipe and Tobacco Fort Wayne, IN.
Nice selection, and great lounge. There are three in town. Downtown location (Calhoun St) is my favorite. Anyone in the area should PM for a meetup!
You look like a terrific guy to smoke with. Indiana is so far from NC, and my passport has expired. Besides, my socks look all bunchy with this stupid tracking device. lol

michiganlover

-Paul's Pipe Shop- Flint MI: Mecca for pipe smokers, non-figuratively wall to wall pipes, and wonderful tobaccos blended in house.
-Ash Tobacco- Gaylord MI: around a dozen bulks, a small number of tins, maybe a dozen Peterson pipes.
-Humidor Pipe Shop- Huntsville AL: lots of pipes, lots of bulks, lots of tins. In a bad location without a lot of parking.
-Timothy's Fine Cigars- Bay City MI: my home base; a few corn cobs, some basket pipes, and around six Lane bulks. The owner is a great guy.

PlanxtyPipes

McCranies - Charlotte, NC and Cornelius, NC
Gatlin-Burlier - Gatlinburg, TN
Low Country Pipe and Cigar - Little River, SC
I second those 3! I'm in Huntersville, NC not too far from McCranie's so that's my local B&M. And I always make it a point to go to Low Country when we're in the Myrtle Beach area. Gatlin-Burlier I've only been to once, it's a small shop but it's great. The staff was very friendly and the two house blends I tried (Gatlin-Burley and Smokies Smoke-Ease) were both really good.

So to summarize by state, and to add a couple of my own:

AL, Birmingham, The Briary
AZ, North Scottsdale, Stag Tobacconists, 23535 N. Scottsdale Rd.
AZ, Phoenix, Tinder Box, 4611 E. Chandler Blvd. Suite 106
CA, Monterrey Bay, Carmel Pipe Shop and The Humidor
CA, San Diego, Liberty Tobacco
CO, Englewood, Edwards
FL, Tampa, Edward's Pipe and Tobacco Shop
IL, Chicago, Iwan Ries, 19 S. Wabash Ave. 2nd Floor
KS, Wichita, Cigar Chateau (east) Decent selection of tinned & bulk tobacco and pipes. Plus a nice smoking lounge.
KY, Florence, Strauss
KY, Lexington, Schwab’s
MI, Ann Arbor, Maison Edwards
MI, Ann Arbor, Tobacco Rose
MI, Flint, Paul's Pipe Shop
MI, Gaylord, Ash Tobacconist
MI, Grand Rapids, Indian River Tobacco Traders
MI, Grosse Pointe, Hill and Hill tobacconist
MS, Jackson, The Country Squire
NC, Cornelius & Charlotte, McCranies
NC, Raleigh, Pipes by George
NJ, Princeton, A Little Taste of Cuba
NM Albuquerque, Monte’s
NM, Santa Fe and Albuquerque, Stag Tobacconists
OR, Portland, Rich's, The Pearl, 922 NW Flanders Street
PA, Clarks Summit, Connolly's Smoke Shop
PA, Hamburg and Bethlehem, Cigars International
PA, Kingston, City Tobacco
PA, New Hope, A Little Taste of Cuba
PA, Wilkes-Barre, El Humidor
SC, Greenville, Boda Pipes
SC, Little River, Low Country Pipe and Cigar
Scotland, Edinburgh, The Pipe Shop Ltd
TN, Gatlinburg, Gatlin-Burlier
TX, Austin, Habana House
TX, Austin, Pipe World
TX, Houston, The Briar Shoppe
UT, Salt Lake City, Beehive Cigars
UT, Salt Lake City, Jeanie’s Smoke Shop
UT, Salt Lake City, Tinder Box
WI, Milwaukee, Uhle’s

Good to have a pocket list for those business and vacation trips to other cities :)

lestrout

CA: Telford's - Mill Valley - fantastic and friendly venue. Several lounges. Huge array of tins, hundreds if not thousands of estates
The Piedmont Tobacconist - Oakland. Small but has serious pipes and blends.
Edward's - Los Altos. Lots of tins and pipes.
Mission Pipe Shop - San Jose. (there's a smaller one in Pleasanton). As cigar oriented as much as pipes.
MA - Peretti's - fantastic in-house blends but also lots of tins. Walls of pipes, their own as well as high lines.
Watch City Cigars - Framingham - lounge and great blends created in house, as well as a lot of tins.
NY - Barclay-Rex down by Wall Street - nice shop and downstairs lounge.
PA - Holt's Cigars - downtown Philly has a classy lounge. Quite a few tins and a good selection of Petes and such.
Black Cat Cigars - Norristown. Spacious large lounge.
Widmer's - Holmes (Western Philly suburb) - small lounge and good selection.
Boswell's - Chambersburg (has another new location too) - notable for a museum's worth of pipe memorabilia. And of course plenty of Boswells. Some estates too, and excellent supply of tins. Their own blended tobaccos have a lot of fans.
New Tobacco Village - Whitehall. Growing number of tins and pipes. They've even had their own POY the last 2 years.
DC - Georgetown Tobacco - classy lounge and shop.
VA - John B. Hayes - the one near DC in a mall may not be there anymore, but it was a serious shop for the pipe. Matt set up a shop in Winchester, but I haven't (yet) made it there.

+1 on Edward's in the Denver area, Uhle's, A Little Taste of Cuba

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
Perettis, Boston. Duh. Don’t waste time at Leavitt and Pierce in Cambridge unless you like other Knick knacks too.

Watch City on Rt 9 in MA, obviously

De La Concha in midtown NYC is a Davidoff store now I’ve heard but it was awesome. Haven’t been to the new store. Barclay Rex in midtown was great too, there is/was one down yonder south. The Nat Sherman shop looked cool but I spent zero time there and it seemed more cigar oriented. But real cool looking.

Rich’s in Portland, OR as someone else said. Specifically the downtown one. There’s another I went to once and it was good too but the downtown one was great. Avoid the house bagged blends, they may be based on Steve Books blends but they’re not kept well and are dust.

Those are the best I’ve been to.

Wolfhound

I second those 3! I'm in Huntersville, NC not too far from McCranie's so that's my local B&M. And I always make it a point to go to Low Country when we're in the Myrtle Beach area. Gatlin-Burlier I've only been to once, it's a small shop but it's great. The staff was very friendly and the two house blends I tried (Gatlin-Burley and Smokies Smoke-Ease) were both really good.
I'm in Huntersville as well! (y)