B&M shops

MasterJoda

Stamey’s is pretty good; they have two locations now. Kepley’s in High Point...15-20 miles further has been around forever as well. Barbecue Center, Speedy’s, and Lexington Barbecue—all further west in Lexington all have their followers as well.
l’ll second these Lexington all these BBQ stops, but Speedy’s is my favorite. Rumor has it they won’t be around much longer as they will he forced to shut down due to a new road.

If you like “Memphis style” BBQ, Bibb’s in downtown Winston-Salem is incredible! Also, Small Batch BBQ in Lynchburg, VA.

Mpugh777

l’ll second these Lexington all these BBQ stops, but Speedy’s is my favorite. Rumor has it they won’t be around much longer as they will he forced to shut down due to a new road.

If you like “Memphis style” BBQ, Bibb’s in downtown Winston-Salem is incredible! Also, Small Batch BBQ in Lynchburg, VA.
Speedy’s is my favorite as well! Great Q, great sides, and generous portions!

dochowl

7 pages and I'm seeing nothing for the Los Angeles area. Seems to be a deadzone since Ed's Tinderbox in Santa Monica went down a number of years back. There is Tobacco Trader in Venice (or is it Mar Vista). For SoCal, not a bad selection of tinned and bulk tobaccos, plus a decent selection of pipes. Picked up a 250g box each of Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake a few months back.

sfduke

Sales
This is an excellent thread. So worthwhile to acknowledge B&Ms supporting our pipe smoking endeavors.

Let me add SQUIRE - Santa Rosa, CA

They recently sponsored the first-ever pipe club in Sonoma County CA just 6 weeks ago. "The Pipe Club" Sonoma County. They sell pipes, pipe accessories, and some damn fine tobacco. Much love!
Best B&M north of the City and possibly Bay Area.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
7 pages and I'm seeing nothing for the Los Angeles area. Seems to be a deadzone since Ed's Tinderbox in Santa Monica went down a number of years back. There is Tobacco Trader in Venice (or is it Mar Vista). For SoCal, not a bad selection of tinned and bulk tobaccos, plus a decent selection of pipes. Picked up a 250g box each of Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake a few months back.
I know there was a shop in Santa Monica that had some pipe stuff (maybe it was Hollywood Cigar?)

The only other place I've been was somewhere near Beverly Hills that also had their own cigars that they claimed were ultra-aged and dusted in what looked like confectioner's sugar - they said it was due to the aging, I have no idea, I can't say I've seen that before but I'm not a huge cigar guy. No pipe stuff.

PKT

Another plug for Liberty Tobacco on Claremont Mesa in San Diego particularly on Tuesday and Sunday when their pipe guy, Cedric, is there. He is extremely knowledgeable. Good selection of pipes and tobaccos in tins and bulk. Lots of cigars if so inclined. San Diego Pipe Club meets there on Sundays. Smoking permitted in store lounge and on patio. Their satellite store in Del Mar is mostly cigars. PM me if you are going and we can try to meet up.

Racine and Laramie in Old Town is expensive and aimed at the tourist trade.

MasterJoda

Pipes and pints in Greensboro NC. Good beer, good pipes, good tobacco, cigars...it's all there. I've only been once but I will indeed return.
It appears they have opened a shop in Winston-Salem, NC as well. According to the interwebs, it’s over near Forsyth Hospital. I hope to swing by around Thanksgiving when I’m down for family stuff, maybe I’ll get a chance before.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Jon’s Pipe Shop in Champaign, IL.
Pipe Puffer Smoke Shop in Indianapolis, IN.
The Briar & The Burley in Bloomington, IN.
I mean, they have a race car in the shop by the pipes and tobacco!!!!!!

IMG_2381 (1).jpeg

One very cool place..you can spend hours wandering the store looking at all kind of things not tobacco related and then another hour or so peeking at all the blends.
The smoking room is spot on...quiet, contemplative and good seating.
Lots of top drawer man accessories.
Awesome staff too.

I’ve perused this thread and don’t see any in Ohio.

I’m heading up near Columbus, OH this weekend, any tips?

We’ll be rolling from VA through WV to OH. Our route will take us through Beckley, WV and Charleston, WV and near Lancaster, OH.
I think there's a Tinderbox in Columbus, and that Barclay place, never been in either. Know some places by Cleveland if you head further north.

Mike D

I’ve perused this thread and don’t see any in Ohio.

I’m heading up near Columbus, OH this weekend, any tips?

We’ll be rolling from VA through WV to OH. Our route will take us through Beckley, WV and Charleston, WV and near Lancaster, OH.
Hey Joda!

Thought I could give you a little bit of of info, but admittedly not much.

I've only been smoking pipes since the start of 2020, and I live about an hour north of Columbus, however my business takes me that way very often. However, due to Covid, I have been working from home mostly, and haven't really ventured to the B&M's in Columbus much.

I have been to a few though, and here's what I can tell you.

Tinderbox -- there are two locations. One in Dublin (Northwest Columbus) and Easton (Northeast Columbus). Both of them have very nice selections of premium cigars. The one in Dublin has a better than average selection of tobacco tins -- at least for the shops i've seen in Columbus so far. They also have a nice selection of pipes. They have some "house blends" as well. The one in Easton, to the best of my recollection, does not have any pipe tobacco or pipes, but I will caveat that statement by saying the last time i was there was about a year ago, and I didn't smoke pipes as of yet, and was just there to get a few cigars -- again, they have a nice selection of premium cigars though. It is also a much smaller shop than the Dublin one.

Barclay Pipe Tobacco and Cigar -- there are two locations. One in Dublin (again, Northwest Columbus) and Upper Arlington (West Central Columbus). I have only been in the one in Dublin (visited it the same day I went to Tinderbox Dublin). I wouldn't waste your time on that one. Mostly house blends, and a few tins of pretty standard stuff. Nothing to go out of your way for. I have not been to the one in Upper Arlington, so I can't speak for that one.

The Governor's Cigar Lounge -- one location in Westerville (Northeast of Columbus). I was in this store once, and they had a small selection of tins. Picked up 5 tins of SG FVF, couple of tins of Sun Bear, but they had others as well. They also had a nice walk-in humidor with a decent selection of premium cigars.

Pipes and Pleasures Cigar Lounge -- one location (East Columbus). I have not visited this site yet, but plan to this week if I am able. They don't have a website that I could find, but they have a FB page. Looking at their photos (you really have to scroll down a long way to find some) they look to have both pipe tobacco and pipes, as well as cigars. They also appear to be a microbrewery from the photos that serves bar-type food as well. Again, haven't been there, so can't really vouch for it, but of the ones I mentioned, this would be the closest to you if you are going to be in Lancaster OH.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a message and I'll help you out any way I can.

jaysmokespipes

Your Ad Here $5.00
Patron
Sadly my local B&M tobacconist has closed up shop. One of the first I believe in my area to open, "The Humidor". Also, maybe 10 years ago or so, "The Red Carpet Smoke Shop", another original old school type shop closed. The Humidor closed during Covid and the building looks like it is being gutted and out to lease. The Red Carpet was a place that primarily focused on pipes with the 2nd generation owner who would dress up with a suit and bow tie, kind of classy, and was the shop to get me started in how to smoke a pipe, sold me my first "real" pipe, a Savinelli, and some home blended tobacco Unfortunately I doubt this is just my area that suffered a setback in the industry due to Covid...

Wilblee

Patron
Pipe World -- Austin, Texas
There’s also one in Round Rock, just north of Austin. I’ve dropped more than a little coin in the RR location.

Bright Fire Cigars in Liberty Hill has a few pipes and tins, but the selection is pretty limited. The lounge areas are pretty dang good, though. Not quite up to what Heros and Legacies had, but significantly better than PW.

It’s been awhile, but I have fond memories of the Hill Country Humidor in San Marcos. They seem to be open and doing business, judging by their on line presence. Dropped a little coin there, too, back in the day.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
There’s also one in Round Rock, just north of Austin. I’ve dropped more than a little coin in the RR location.

Bright Fire Cigars in Liberty Hill has a few pipes and tins, but the selection is pretty limited. The lounge areas are pretty dang good, though. Not quite up to what Heros and Legacies had, but significantly better than PW.

It’s been awhile, but I have fond memories of the Hill Country Humidor in San Marcos. They seem to be open and doing business, judging by their on line presence. Dropped a little coin there, too, back in the day.
Good to know. Thank you.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Support your B&Ms that sell items at msrp retail prices. Understand when state taxes come into play, but when B&Ms price gouge because they can, no thanks. Not one B&M in a 25mi radius for me does msrp.
I know going in I am going to pay more for the product at the B&M vs. the internet.
I know also it is an hour and forty five minute drive.
However I am glad to do so.
There are some things in this world ponying up for....for me this is one of those things.