What's new

Baki meerschaum availabilty

I was corresponding with Deniz and he informed me that F. Baki has decided to supply a Chinese wholesaler for quite some time and has not been supplying Deniz with any new orders. Deniz stated he cannot predict if the situation will change. Maybe some of you were in the know, but I have been refreshing his site to order a new Baki for some time now...

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Patron
I was corresponding with Deniz and he informed me that F. Baki has decided to supply a Chinese wholesaler for quite some time and has not been supplying Deniz with any new orders. Deniz stated he cannot predict if the situation will change. Maybe some of you were in the know, but I have been refreshing his site to order a new Baki for some time now...
That cant be good news.......

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Patron
You likely won't see another new Baki for sale from Deniz or anyone else in the U.S (excepting of course the occasional one from a private consumer). Baki can get more money per pipe from Chinese importers than he can in this country. Money talks.
Imagine if someone sold one with a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

dmkerr

Staff member
This true for almost every master carver's pipes for a while which includes; M. Kara, Sevket Gezer, F. Baki, Kudret Gezer, I. Baglan, Tekin Pipes and some others. They knocked at every known maker's door, including mine, to collect hundreds of pipes every month.
I'd be surprised to hear that many of them do NOT sell to the Chinese, particularly someone like Tekin who has seemingly utilized every outlet known to man to sell his pipes.

That reminds me... the Medet Kara claw and egg that I bought from you some years ago is still the best example of the venerable claw and egg I've ever seen. That guy has skills!

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
I guess this is free market capitalism at its best however it's sad that a once reliable and extremely friendly US source of Baki pipes is no longer able to supply them. I guess it's also worth noting that as an individual carver, Baki pipes will only be produced for a finite amount of time, after which there will be no more. I've always considered Baki pipe purchases as more of an investment in usable art than smoking tool.

Peeps

I'd be surprised to hear that many of them do NOT sell to the Chinese, particularly someone like Tekin who has seemingly utilized every outlet known to man to sell his pipes.

That reminds me... the Medet Kara claw and egg that I bought from you some years ago is still the best example of the venerable claw and egg I've ever seen. That guy has skills!
Would it be possible to see pictures of your Medet Kara claw and egg? Would love to see it.
I have one of his lattice billiards with a military mount and simply love it.

dmkerr

Staff member
Would it be possible to see pictures of your Medet Kara claw and egg? Would love to see it.
I have one of his lattice billiards with a military mount and simply love it.
Newbie, eh? Sorry... posting pictures on this site is beyond the limits of my skillset... translated in simple English, I'm too lazy to learn how!

You are, however, in luck. Go to altinokpipes.com and check out "master carvers". They have some pics there.

I guess this is free market capitalism at its best however it's sad that a once reliable and extremely friendly US source of Baki pipes is no longer able to supply them. I guess it's also worth noting that as an individual carver, Baki pipes will only be produced for a finite amount of time, after which there will be no more. I've always considered Baki pipe purchases as more of an investment in usable art than smoking tool.
Curious as to why you view a Baki purchase as an investment more than a smoking tool. My Baki pipes are great smokers.