What's new

Baki meerschaum availabilty

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Curious as to why you view a Baki purchase as an investment more than a smoking tool. My Baki pipes are great smokers.
Don't get me wrong, Bakis are great smokers and I smoke mine however, unlike most meers, I would say Bakis appreciate in value.

If you look at the "Fred Bass Estate" sales on eBay, there isn't a single Baki available (they've all sold) and on the ones I saw, they sold for far more than he paid for them even though every single one had been smoked.

Given the fact they they will be scarcer to find going forward, prices are sure to rise.

Don't get me wrong, Bakis are great smokers and I smoke mine however, unlike most meers, I would say Bakis appreciate in value.

If you look at the "Fred Bass Estate" sales on eBay, there isn't a single Baki available (they've all sold) and on the ones I saw, they sold for far more than he paid for them even though every single one had been smoked.

Given the fact they they will be scarcer to find going forward, prices are sure to rise.
I thought they were absurdly priced. I didn't see one sell.

mongo

View attachment 18356

Believe it or not, I took this picture in preparation to sell it after upgrading to sales.
After reading the previous posts, I believe this little gem will be staying put.
Mak! That Baki is UNSMOKED! WTF? You are missing out on perhaps the best smoking pipe you have! I have two Bakis, and they are what I smoke approx 80% of the time... I have to force myself to smoke my other pipes. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My mind cannot comprehend. Do not sell.... SMOKE IT! Thank me later.

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Patron
Mak! That Baki is UNSMOKED! WTF? You are missing out on perhaps the best smoking pipe you have! I have two Bakis, and they are what I smoke approx 80% of the time... I have to force myself to smoke my other pipes. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My mind cannot comprehend. Do not sell.... SMOKE IT! Thank me later.
Thanks Mongo for the slap upside the head!!!!
Always trust a Bears fan!!!!

Do not fret, it is NOT going anywhere!!!!!!

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
I thought they were absurdly priced. I didn't see one sell.
The price is what the market will bear, absurd or not. I can reasonably confidently tell you that Fred didn't pay anywhere near the selling price on those Bakis.

Talking about absurd pricing, I was used to picking up IMPs for under $100 on eBay or SP.com, now they seem to be floating around $300!

dmkerr

Staff member
The price is what the market will bear, absurd or not. I can reasonably confidently tell you that Fred didn't pay anywhere near the selling price on those Bakis.

Talking about absurd pricing, I was used to picking up IMPs for under $100 on eBay or SP.com, now they seem to be floating around $300!
On many of them, he did not. I can remember buying Baki pipes years ago brand new for around $150. I still have one where Baki was experimenting with dye colors. It's coal black and cost me $100 new. Smokes great! Not sure what it looks like under that dye, though!

I haven't bought an IMP in ages. Used to buy from a gentleman named Kenan on Ebay for around $175 a pop. Then he stopped selling them when the rumors started. Then SP picked up a bunch and sold them for a song. Then the carver started a new company as well as making exclusives for Burak Servi. Now IMP is back and the prices are Baki-esque. The stems are not as good as they used to be either.

Meerschaum carvers and merchants don't make being a meerschaum smoker very easy! I'm glad we have folks like Deniz Ural and @Sinan Altinok to help us follow along.

SmokeRings

I picked up my IMP figural for around twi bills in 2008 or 2009...I shoulda been hanging on your coat tails lol

Clint52

I have no idea if this is commonly known yet but I just received an email from Deniz telling me that after 17 years of selling Baki pipes exclusively, that Baki has decided to drop Deniz and go instead with a Chinese company. He has no further intel on the future availability of Baki’s pipes. This is disappointing.

“Unfortunately, after 17 years of having an exclusivity on the Baki pipes and promoting his name world-wide, Baki decided to supply his pipes to a Chinese company.” - Deniz