What's new

Baki meerschaum availabilty

dmkerr

Staff member

dmkerr

Staff member
Can you still buy Baki pipes or is the Chinese market closed to outsiders?
This is a very good question, and I don't know the answer. If I were asked to speculate, I'd say we won't see any. The entire reason Baki chose to sell through a Chinese importer is because the Chinese market is buying these pipes at higher prices. I haven't seen a new Baki run through Deniz' site in several months. It could be years before U.S buyers are able to find any - lot of smokers in China! That's a market that will be slow to saturate.

Clint52

Not even if they throw in a rusty old tin of McClelland. They’re just pipes.
I agree, albeit very nice and very well made pipes. I've got an H. Cor and while there's nothing really wrong with it, it's just not quite up there with Baki, imho. I've got an IMP also and with the exception of its bit being a tad too thick to suit me, it's a really well made meerschaum and I smoke it frequently. Truth be told, I smoke my meerschaums just about as often as I smoke my briars. I hate to see anything going to China these days.

blackmouth210

This is a bummer. I've been thinking about a Baki gourd for years and just never made it happen. Though there's no use guessing at what's going to become unavailable these days because it could be anything.
Same here.
I'm very leery of buying a gourd calabash because I've heard some horror stories.
But, I always figured if I would buy one some day, it would have definitely been a Baki.

dmkerr

Staff member
I was trying to turn laziness into an art form and get myself a grant , but they turned me down claiming I'd worked to hard for it to be truly lazy.....
I heard that too. They told me that just wanting to be lazy, or being lazy around the house, wasn't enough to qualify. I had to quit my job, among other things. It's so hard to get free money these days.

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
A large part of the problem is that US pipers have a briar fetish so meers, irrespective of quality, don't command the same prices. People seem to have no problem paying $500+ for an Adam Davidson whereas they balk at $300 for a Baki meer.

But I don't see it as a problem. I have managed to amass a collection of very nice meers without going bankrupt and I can only see the value of my Bakis going up in the future. Good for me, sad for new entrants...

dmkerr

Staff member
A large part of the problem is that US pipers have a briar fetish so meers, irrespective of quality, don't command the same prices. People seem to have no problem paying $500+ for an Adam Davidson whereas they balk at $300 for a Baki meer.

But I don't see it as a problem. I have managed to amass a collection of very nice meers without going bankrupt and I can only see the value of my Bakis going up in the future. Good for me, sad for new entrants...
Yep! Like McClellands tobacco, I didn't buy Bakis because of future availability - I bought them because I love them! Not selling any!