Baking a Cake: Cake Building for Idiots

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Ah, tell me.
How much did you pay for the chunk of his guitar,
The one he ruthlessly smashed at the end of the show?
And how much will he pay for a brand new guitar,
One which he'll ruthlessly smash at the end of another show?
And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?
As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones.
And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?
As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones.
Aging black leather and hospital bills,
Tattoo removal and dozens of pills.
Your liver pays dearly now for youthful magic moments,
But rock on completely with some brand new components.
How do you afford your rock'n'roll lifestyle?

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
I'm eagerly watching this thread. I seem to remember that someone did something similar to this many, many years ago. If I remember right the blends that built the most cake the fastest were Samuel Gawith Virginia blends.

I usually use US Burley blends such as Sir Walter Raleigh or (gasp) Carter Hall.

My bet is on the Virginia pipes.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
I'm eagerly watching this thread. I seem to remember that someone did something similar to this many, many years ago. If I remember right the blends that built the most cake the fastest were Samuel Gawith Virginia blends.

I usually use US Burley blends such as Sir Walter Raleigh or (gasp) Carter Hall.

My bet is on the Virginia pipes.
Thanks! I figured there was a thread like this on PSF but didn’t find one around here... Glad to know someone remembered it.

SG blends eh? Ok I’ll have to smoke more FVF and SJF then. Darn. 😜

I’m not much of a burley smoker (yet, I’m sure) but the reason I’ll smoke CH in the blue-stemmed J Everett is exactly because I’ve seen several members mention cake from burley tends to be thicker and build faster while VA cake is more glassy and hard. I just have 2oz left from a sample I bought from 4noggins but that should be enough I think...

SmokeRings

Patron
Thanks! I figured there was a thread like this on PSF but didn’t find one around here... Glad to know someone remembered it.

SG blends eh? Ok I’ll have to smoke more FVF and SJF then. Darn. 😜

I’m not much of a burley smoker (yet, I’m sure) but the reason I’ll smoke CH in the blue-stemmed J Everett is exactly because I’ve seen several members mention cake from burley tends to be thicker and build faster while VA cake is more glassy and hard. I just have 2oz left from a sample I bought from 4noggins but that should be enough I think...
Hard to say if you'll ever become a burley guy, I believe it is said that the more one exposes themselves to a certain flavor the more tolerable and enjoyable it becomes, but I have my doubts, because no matter how many people put fiddle sticksing onions on my hamburgers I still don't like them and I've been having that fight for decades, all I'll suggest about developing a taste for a type of tobacco is that life is short, consider well how much of yours you want to devote to blends you do not enjoy.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
After the fifth smoke:
D48F012D-D53C-4120-B8CF-B2F0B8FEAE80.jpeg
This pipe smokes so well and is beautiful, it’s hard to put down. It’s a great pipe for stronger and/or more rare blends since the bowl is smaller and v-shaped. I just had an excellent bowl of McC’s 40th in it. But it obliterates Simply Red with the same vigor.

I will note, and I checked with Adam beforehand so this is no sleight to the maker (who asked me if I wanted a bowl coating before he added it btw), I don’t think I’ll choose a bowl coating over not in the future. In my (extremely limited) opinion, the bowl coating tends to make the early smokes more acrid and flat. In particular this one Adam used in the first smoke really got almost sour - we’ve theorized (nod to @Spillproof) that this is from the sugars caramelizing. With the BST especially I noticed that I kind of like the taste of raw briar - it feels like I’m in control of the process of “tempering” the pipe, to borrow @Sasquatch ’s language, and can slow down my cadence not just based on stummel temp but flavor.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
Two other items of note:

1. It does seem like bowl coatings help the cake build more quickly. Again, I'm in the infancy of this experiment but that's my observation.
2. Adam's bowl coating may be different than the "traditional" one used, though I will say that I've experienced this flat or even metallic flavor from the others' coatings as well. Here's what Adam said about his coating:
The bowl coating I used is extremely simple, just activated charcoal with a bit of sugar added to bind it and allow it to crystalize. It isn't super protective like the whole-hog coating that a lot of pros use which is usually pumice, waterglass and charcoal which essentially forms a permeable ceramic coating on the inside of the bowl.

The simple charcoal coating just helps the inside of the bowl look nice and increases the surface area to help make things a little bit more absorbent and adhesive during the break-in.

SmokeRings

Patron
Two other items of note:

1. It does seem like bowl coatings help the cake build more quickly. Again, I'm in the infancy of this experiment but that's my observation.
2. Adam's bowl coating may be different than the "traditional" one used, though I will say that I've experienced this flat or even metallic flavor from the others' coatings as well. Here's what Adam said about his coating:
Definitely not just you, been smoking a pipe for over a decade and I do not at all like the flavor of bowl coatings of any stripe, they have a lot of great benefits, and I do believe they are useful for helping prevent burnout and for building cake more quickly, but that metallic and acrid taste thing is the cost for those advantages, fortunately it's one that goes away reasonably quickly and is tolerable enough that I am never all that put out if a pipe has it.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
After sixth smoke: 0C9C0796-63C3-4477-9A18-702704A04132.jpeg
This Boswell nosewarmer from @3 Olives is a treat, stout in stature but easy to clench - it makes a nice pipe to move around with. Smoked Rum Flake in this yesterday and here’s the inside now. This was coated and appears to be collecting cake rather easily in comparison to the others. It still has some of the sweetness of that first bowl of Christmas Cookie, too. I don’t notice the coating affecting the smoke the way I do with the others and I’m wondering how much having that aro in there did to change that. Probably nothing if I’m being honest - this is all just pixie dust right?

Billy Joe

Thought he was passing through, but stayed.
Patron
No cake expert here. But I'm wondering how wet vs dry tobaccos affect the cake?
You mention the Boswells aro which I am thinking would have more moisture.

I like to use extra dry Carter Hall to start, but I have no data or reason. Just instinct.
Thanks for the thread.