Baking a Cake: Cake Building for Idiots

SmokeRings

Patron
I've found the best cake forms for me using Stonehaven. The only other person I knew that did the same is gone now. So I carry on the tradition.

Other than cobs. They get what I grow until they're right.
I like Pegasus for breaking in, or LNF, they are both bought on sale and are cheap bulk blends to begin with, since I don't grow my own it's the next best thing, I don't like sticking uncommon or exceptional blends in virgin pipes, kind of ruins the experience for me with the coating/briarcobmeer competing for my attention.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
I like Pegasus for breaking in, or LNF, they are both bought on sale and are cheap bulk blends to begin with, since I don't grow my own it's the next best thing, I don't like sticking uncommon or exceptional blends in virgin pipes, kind of ruins the experience for me with the coating/briarcobmeer competing for my attention.
LNF and F&T Vintage are next up. I keep forgetting how much I like LNF, it was the first VaPer that just nailed it for me. I can remember that bowl in the snow. Vintage because @HDXR keeps reminding me how good the tin I sent him is

JustScott

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That looks like more cake than I've been able to build up. Probably cuz I smoke like a little hipster *****
Isn't that yellow coating supposed to build cake super fast? I remember reading that somewhere, but I've never had a Yello-Bole to try it out. My cake seems to build about the same speed as yours. carp, does that make me a hipster now? I'm NOT waxing my mustache.

Tom Bombadil

Isn't that yellow coating supposed to build cake super fast? I remember reading that somewhere, but I've never had a Yello-Bole to try it out. My cake seems to build about the same speed as yours. carp, does that make me a hipster now? I'm NOT waxing my mustache.
No idea, as this is my first Unsmoked Yello Bole, but I will say that it seems to build up at the rate of a cob?

Peacock

There is no spoon.
I kind of do it. After the first couple of bowls, I use the pick of my pipe tool to gently loosen the ashes in the bowl. Then I cover the bowl with 2 fingers and shake the ashes all around to coat the entire bowl surface with ash and dump the rest. This helps get an even cake early on, at least I found it does.
I’ve been doing that regularly too, and am at least anecdotally convinced it’s working. But I’m also interested if anyone leaves the tobacco in the chamber for the first dozen or so bowls until the pipe cools

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
Is this what you’re going for when doing the “cover and shake” method? Or am i leaving too much behind?

This thread inspired me to work on my own cake building skills

View attachment 90714
If all you did was loosen the dottle, cover, shake it a bit, and dump it out, then you did perfectly.

If you did something else I think you are OK too but it's not what I do.

I hope this helps.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
Ok this idiot is updating the thread with a shot inside the BST bent billiard:
49227587-229E-491D-A543-D504BDF1FB5D.jpeg 3BFC24E3-5747-4D48-BC15-756A417F6BD0.jpeg
If I'm being honest I intended to update this thread with every smoke but there wasn't any change in the appearance in the last 3-4 so meh. it's interesting to me that the cake is building in the middle of the bowl especially but hardly at all on the bottom. I tried my darndest to smoke every bowl to the dregs (I normally leave dottle) but it doesn't seem to matter. Just an observation

Sparks

Ok this idiot is updating the thread with a shot inside the BST bent billiard:
View attachment 91245 View attachment 91246
If I'm being honest I intended to update this thread with every smoke but there wasn't any change in the appearance in the last 3-4 so meh. it's interesting to me that the cake is building in the middle of the bowl especially but hardly at all on the bottom. I tried my darndest to smoke every bowl to the dregs (I normally leave dottle) but it doesn't seem to matter. Just an observation
I used Dunbar for my above post, that stuff seems to burn to a very clean, fine ash.

And I’m usually like you with a mass of unsmokeable stuff in the bottom of the bowl, but I’m able to smoke the Dunbar until there’s nothing left.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
I used Dunbar for my above post, that stuff seems to burn to a very clean, fine ash.

And I’m usually like you with a mass of unsmokeable stuff in the bottom of the bowl, but I’m able to smoke the Dunbar until there’s nothing left.
Interesting. I've had the same experience with a few tobaccos - one of which is Dunbar. I had a bowl of Tilbury in this pipe most recently and it burned excellently but if I'm being completely honest it was a very dried out sample I neglected from @millarddj. I've heard @WalkinStick and others often wax poetic about the merits of finely dried tobacco but I still avoid it and then when it happens I'm surprised at how good it is. Maybe I'll learn one day but probably not I'm a stubborn bastard