Balkan Sobranie

Mpugh777

Of you never had the original you don’t have anything to compare it to. Blends chg over time despite the same recipe due to different crops and mfg locations (different water source, etc). Yet everyone swears it’s not the original recipe.
I concur. I’ve never had the original, just the current mélange. It, in my opinion, is outclassed by other “similar” blends...some available, some no longer available. I’m certainly not enough of a connoisseur that I would buy a “vintage” tin of BS.

Monkel

I'm not too interested in how it compares to the original. IMO if you cant get the original, not much point in comparing it. It makes more sense to compare it to what else is obtainable. With that being said I understand you also need a baseline and hey, if you've been around long enough to compare it to the original, more power to you and I'd love to hear about it. I guess I'm more curious as to how it compares to other blends that are obtainable.

Dquisenberry

I'm not too interested in how it compares to the original. IMO if you cant get the original, not much point in comparing it. It makes more sense to compare it to what else is obtainable. With that being said I understand you also need a baseline and hey, if you've been around long enough to compare it to the original, more power to you and I'd love to hear about it. I guess I'm more curious as to how it compares to other blends that are obtainable.
I have a dozen tins of black house. It won a contest as the best copy of the original. Each blender had a sample of the original to work with.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Is this worth the hype? I'd never pay Ebay prices for any tobacco but assuming you get it at retail/msrp. What would this be comparable too? I'm not expecting an exact match but something very similar?
I don’t care for it at all, yet I love H&H White Knight which is Russ O’s tribute to Balkan Sobranie. There’s something about the orientals in White Knight that just sing, at least to my taste.

sablebrush52

Patron
I don’t care for it at all, yet I love H&H White Knight which is Russ O’s tribute to Balkan Sobranie. There’s something about the orientals in White Knight that just sing, at least to my taste.
I smoked plenty of the Original Smoking Mixture in the '70's and '80's and Germain's ain't it. White Knight is much closer. I can't stand Germain's Balkan Sobranie. It gives me the heaves. Black House is modeled after 759.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I smoked plenty of the Original Smoking Mixture in the '70's and '80's and Germain's ain't it. White Knight is much closer. I can't stand Germain's Balkan Sobranie. It gives me the heaves. Black House is modeled after 759.
Completely agree. White Knight came much closer to the original. Maybe it isn't fair to compare based on either a memory from decades ago or against aged Original today, but if I wanted more of that original flavor, I'd grab the White Knight every time.