Basic snuff recipe

Wooda

Cob Cobbler
Sales
Okay gents, this is the last time I'm posting this recipe, so write it down and stick it in the safe with your house Title and Bond Notes.

Scaled down from Juxtaposer's recipe posted on the snuff house forums.

Equipment:
Grinder; Mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, redneck engineered ball mill.
Sifter: spatter guard, sieve, flour sifter.
Small Mason jar with lid.

Recipe:
2Tbsp ground and sieved tobacco flour
1tsp distilled water
1/16tsp (pinch) sodium carbonate
(washing soda)
1/4tsp table salt

Process:
-Get your tobacco crispy dry.
-Grind it up. 10 second pulses in my magic bullet until there aren't any big chunks. Elbow grease with a mortar and pestle. Whatever works.

-Sift out the big chunks
-grind them again
-toss remaining chunks. You will never get it all. Don't sweat it.
-If you want a finer grind, rinse and repeat until you're happy.
-put tobacco flour in Mason jar

-Dissolve salt and washing soda in distilled water.
-Mix solution into tobacco flour.
-Seal Mason jar and let it sit for AT LEAST 7 days. The Sodium Carbonate needs time to react and mellow. If you toot too soon you might burn your delicate schnoz.

That's it. Super easy, scales up well.

Wooda

Cob Cobbler
Sales
Flavoring:
Things you can stick right in the jar after the mandatory 7day rest:
coffee bean.
Chunk of vanilla,
Orange peel
Other edible aromatic solids.
Test toot every day and remove when satisfied with flavor.

Various liquors:
1-2 drops, let air out a couple hours to evaporate some of the ethanol.

Everything else:
Food grade essential oils/flavor extracts.
1 drop or less.

JustScott

Okay gents, this is the last time I'm posting this recipe, so write it down and stick it in the safe with your house Title and Bond Notes.

Scaled down from Juxtaposer's recipe posted on the snuff house forums.

Equipment:
Grinder; Mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, redneck engineered ball mill.
Sifter: spatter guard, sieve, flour sifter.
Small Mason jar with lid.

Recipe:
2Tbsp ground and sieved tobacco flour
1tsp distilled water
1/16tsp (pinch) sodium carbonate
(washing soda)
1/4tsp table salt

Process:
-Get your tobacco crispy dry.
-Grind it up. 10 second pulses in my magic bullet until there aren't any big chunks. Elbow grease with a mortar and pestle. Whatever works.

-Sift out the big chunks
-grind them again
-toss remaining chunks. You will never get it all. Don't sweat it.
-If you want a finer grind, rinse and repeat until you're happy.
-put tobacco flour in Mason jar

-Dissolve salt and washing soda in distilled water.
-Mix solution into tobacco flour.
-Seal Mason jar and let it sit for AT LEAST 7 days. The Sodium Carbonate needs time to react and mellow. If you toot too soon you might burn your delicate schnoz.

That's it. Super easy, scales up well.
Thank you! I'll actually write it down this time, I promise.

Wooda

Cob Cobbler
Sales
Possibly dumb question, but does it matter if the leaf is raw vs processed/cased?
Can you use a VaBur pipe tobacco?
You can use any tobacco as long as it's color cured, AKA not green. You could probably use Candella cigar tobacco if you wanted green snuff, for that matter.

I have used "raw" leaf the day after harvesting, it cured to yellow overnight and I flash dried it in the dehydrator and ground it up.
I have used commercial pipe tobaccos including Gooper aromatics and VaBurs.

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
I finally got around to starting this project. I have some dark fire-cured leaf from leafonly.com, so I put that in a coffee grinder and nicely reduced it to dust. I stopped there because I don't have any sodium carbonate (next step is to make some from sodium bicarb the next time I bake) but it's pretty nice all by itself with no additives at all.

I have some other leafonly tobacco to try, and next summer I might try growing some rustica, or I might just buy some. I think I am set for snuff for life.

Wooda

Cob Cobbler
Sales
What's the carbonate for?
Adding an alkaline freebases more nicotine to make it available for uptake through the mucosal membranes in the nose or mouth.

Short answer: more WOOOO! in your toot.

Sodium bicarbonate is too weak and slow of a base, and sodium hydroxide will melt a hole through your face. Sodium carbonate is perfect.

It is also entirely optional. My first rustica snuff was not juiced and it knocked out my teeth.

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
Been reading this over several times over the last week. I recently took a major interest in snuff, and now that I have some, I know what to aim for in making some. I've got some plain, untreated, cured dark Burley and flue-cured golden Virginia to start out with, originally bought for making my own pipe blends.

Tomorrow I've got plenty of time off, so I laid out all the tools to make the recipe you outlined @Wooda ; many thanks for sharing it. I'll be making my own sodium carbonate by heating sodium bicarb. in the oven at 200°F for an hour, per directions I found.

Although I have a very nice collection of herbs and spices, both freshly growing and dry stored, I think I'll start off simple. Going to make two batches; one mostly plain, and one mentholated/medicated snuff. If those are good I'll play around with heavier scents in another run. If not, I'll try better or different leaf.

I'll be sure to snap a few pics of the process just in case it comes out good! Finally, I'll be sure to wait the full seven days (probably more after drying) before trying any. Again, many thanks for this thread!

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Been reading this over several times over the last week. I recently took a major interest in snuff, and now that I have some, I know what to aim for in making some. I've got some plain, untreated, cured dark Burley and flue-cured golden Virginia to start out with, originally bought for making my own pipe blends.

Tomorrow I've got plenty of time off, so I laid out all the tools to make the recipe you outlined @Wooda ; many thanks for sharing it. I'll be making my own sodium carbonate by heating sodium bicarb. in the oven at 200°F for an hour, per directions I found.

Although I have a very nice collection of herbs and spices, both freshly growing and dry stored, I think I'll start off simple. Going to make two batches; one mostly plain, and one mentholated/medicated snuff. If those are good I'll play around with heavier scents in another run. If not, I'll try better or different leaf.

I'll be sure to snap a few pics of the process just in case it comes out good! Finally, I'll be sure to wait the full seven days (probably more after drying) before trying any. Again, many thanks for this thread!
:popc:

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
@Ozark Wizard and @Peacock - My prediction is that this will either be at least snuff-able or just awful. Instead of getting right to it, I've been spending time reading about snuff production on various websites. I'm thinking the quality of leaf is one of the most important aspects.
At any rate, with everything sterilized and ready, I'm mixing up a batch a few hours after the kitchen's cleaned again, post-dinner.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
@Ozark Wizard and @Peacock - My prediction is that this will either be at least snuff-able or just awful. Instead of getting right to it, I've been spending time reading about snuff production on various websites. I'm thinking the quality of leaf is one of the most important aspects.
At any rate, with everything sterilized and ready, I'm mixing up a batch a few hours after the kitchen's cleaned again, post-dinner.

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
Okay, so here's Wooda's recipe, with the only modification being the use of double the amount of water, which was recommended by someone with essentially the same recipe on another site. Of course, I will have to evaporate this extra water, but the idea is to get a better mixture. When the time comes, the water will be evaporated off in my stove on very low heat, probably over several hours.

All surfaces, tools, and hands were washed with unscented dish soap and a brand new sponge, dried, and then sterilized with 70% isopropyl alcohol. The kitchen was also cleaned properly to prevent any mold spores or bacteria getting into the components.

I 'made' my own sodium carbonate by heating sodium bicarbonate at 200°F for 1h30m. I also used Hymalayan pink sea salt since it's free of iodine, and because it's fancy.

Here we are with the 'raw' C&D (I know, I know) blending tobaccos. If they are cased, it must be extremely lightly because the ease in which they dried was unusual. Also, I smoked a bowl of each to test the quality, and they tasted extremely plain. On the left is their Virginia Flake 'chips' after being rubbed up, and on the right is dark Burley (again, both labeled for blending). There's roughly half an ounce here:
20190910_193916.jpg
First grind and sift with coffee grinder revealed some stems/ribs in there, which is of course no surprise for a C&D product. I've found tree trunks in some of their blends! The unwanted particulates were picked out with tweezers and thrown away. The rest was sifted to catch any I missed. I was surprised by how all of that tobacco was reduced to just enough to fill the 2tbsp recipe:
20190910_194907.jpg
After the second sift, some very nice and finely ground tobacco showed up on the lid of the coffee maker. This was taken with my other camera, which is why the color appears different, and it's more true to real life:
20190910_200600_HDR.jpg
Here's the rest of the batch from the second grind. Still some tiny granules of mid-ribs from the leaf, but they were mostly confined to the surface after a bit of shaking in the bowl. I again tweezered-out any that looked too big and ugly. This is the final product. It smelled very nice:
20190910_200932_HDR.jpg
Mixing up the solution of distilled water, salt, and sodium carbonate:
20190910_202314_HDR.jpg
With the tobacco added, the lid secured tightly, and a few good shakes, now we wait:
20190910_202823_HDR.jpg
I will surely keep you posted. Next Tuesday or Wednesday I'll open the jar, perhaps add some food-grade spearmint extract, and then dry it. For now I'm reading up more and waiting for it to get happy, I hope you guys enjoyed the photos.