Basic snuff recipe

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
It does seem very wet though. What made you decide to diverge from @Wooda OG post?
I dug up a thread on the Snuffhouse forums where there was a similar recipe. The instructions were for 2tbsp of water and 2tbsp of tobacco, then to dry it in an oven. That batch is wet, no doubt. I made a second batch this morning, and the result is in the photo below. It's much drier, but it'll still need to be dried with heat.
20190911_210023_HDR.jpg
Although the OP on the Snuffhouse thread provided a lot of info about snuffmaking, it seems to be like any craft; lots of trial and error, and I expect there to be plenty of error along the way.

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
I dug up a thread on the Snuffhouse forums where there was a similar recipe. The instructions were for 2tbsp of water and 2tbsp of tobacco, then to dry it in an oven. That batch is wet, no doubt. I made a second batch this morning, and the result is in the photo below. It's much drier, but it'll still need to be dried with heat.

Although the OP on the Snuffhouse thread provided a lot of info about snuffmaking, it seems to be like any craft; lots of trial and error, and I expect there to be plenty of error along the way.
Waiiit a minute... I think you forgot to put tobacco in that snuff! 😜

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
View attachment 41401
Looks great!

Wooda

Cob Cobbler
Sales
Nothing wrong with a light cook. It might even improve your base tobaccos.

There is no wrong way. Every snuff house has their own proprietary process, and they all make wonderful toots.

This recipe is intended to be the most basic of foundations; the springboard from which to launch yourself into the deep pool of nasal delivered tobac.

For the "basic recipe" the water ratio is the bare minimum needed to fully wet the tobacco, therefore evenly distribute the sodium carbonate, but also allowing it to be tootable without cooking.

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
@Wooda I'm going to make another batch following your recipe's idea of wetting the tobacco just enough to distribute the sodium carbonate and salt. My one worry is that the tobacco I'm using has some sort of casing on it; I've read in several places over the last couple years that everything sold as pipe tobacco is cased, and I wouldn't doubt it.

I took a sniff of some of the super-fine tobacco clinging to the lid of the grinder that I used to make the recipe. It wasn't bad at all, but it also wasn't anything like snuff, aside from the grind. It had a sweetness to it that I can't quite explain, and I'm guessing that it's sugar. I might have to get some truly plain leaf in order to get the results I'm hoping for. Time will tell!

Thanks for your positive reply. :sailor: