What's new

Bending a Falcon

Tortuga

We had discussed this a little in another thread. I clamped this old stem in a vice and applied a little heat to it while carefully bending it. I got a nice offset, but I really wanted more of a Hawkbill look.

I'm going to take another whack at it with a tiny tip on my oxy/acetylene rig. I was using a big propane torch at my parents place, kind of a spur of the moment deal. I wrapped wet rags around the plastic to keep it safe.
20181124_171555.jpg

Tortuga

That's a nice touch!
It'll definitely curb the "mouthful of icky juice" I've gotten with this stem. I did that while driving back from an out of town job. Luckily I had a second stem close at hand and swapped the bowl without it ever going out. This one has a really restricted draw where the previous owner really chomped on the stem. It causes some issues.

vjg1954

Patron
@Tortuga hate to derail the thread but I have a easy fix for the restricted draw problem. I had several falcon pipes that had the same problem. Two were completely closed. I heated the bit over an electric stove element and pushed a nail into the opening to open up the draw. I used vise-grips to hold the nail. The two that were completely closed, I started with a sewing needle. Then used a small brad and several nails increasing in size. If the bit is not hot enough or too much pressure is used, you can split the bit. Also used micro mesh pads to polish the nails.

Tortuga

@Tortuga hate to derail the thread but I have a easy fix for the restricted draw problem. I had several falcon pipes that had the same problem. Two were completely closed. I heated the bit over an electric stove element and pushed a nail into the opening to open up the draw. I used vise-grips to hold the nail. The two that were completely closed, I started with a sewing needle. Then used a small brad and several nails increasing in size. If the bit is not hot enough or too much pressure is used, you can split the bit. Also used micro mesh pads to polish the nails.
I'd had the same thought last night, but Dad didn't have a suitable widening instrument laying around. I'm glad to hear that works.