Bent versus straight

FDengineer

I think I am going to get a falcon now that they seem to be available again. I have never seen one in person before. I tend to favor full bent pipes. I have a combination but I find myself reaching for a full bent more often than not. I like these pipes because they hang hands-free without as much leverage at least that is my experience. It is difficult to tell for sure but it looks like the bent falcon is much less bent than the bent pipes I have. So my question becomes, should I get a straight or should I get a bent? If it is not bent enough to make a difference in the way it hangs, maybe just get a straight?

I am replacing a straight Rhodesian that fell out of my pocket on a morning run on the beach and got lost. It was my favorite straight pipe partially because of how light it was and also because it had a bigger bowl diameter than my other pipes. Not that we really need excuses, but what is really prompting me to pull the trigger on this is wanting another pipe with a large diameter bowl. So the straight versus bent thing is really secondary for this pipe but I figured I would get the PSD brain trust thoughts. Thanks

Last edited:

Recreationalist

Falcon pipes are cool and they work! I am not a falcon expert but I do have a straight and a dental stem. I prefer the straight. Id suggest paying close attention to the bowl sizes. Most of the falcon bowls are on the smaller end. The biggest bowl diameter i have in the bowls is the snifter, and it isn't all that big

Chicken Man

Keep It Simple
Patron
I've got a curved stem. It's different from the bent in that the metal part of the stem itself is straight, but the mouthpiece is bent. It hangs like a dream and is one of my best clenchers because it is just so unbelievable lightweight. My only complaint about the falcons is that the mouthpieces are quite slippery on the teeth, even more so than acrylic. I think they're made of nylon. Other than that it's a brilliant little pipe.

Pedro

I think I am going to get a falcon now that they seem to be available again. I have never seen one in person before. I tend to favor full bent pipes. I have a combination but I find myself reaching for a full bent more often than not. I like these pipes because they hang hands-free without as much leverage at least that is my experience. It is difficult to tell for sure but it looks like the bent falcon is much less bent than the bent pipes I have. So my question becomes, should I get a straight or should I get a bent? If it is not bent enough to make a difference in the way it hangs, maybe just get a straight?

I am replacing a straight Rhodesian that fell out of my pocket on a morning run on the beach and got lost. It was my favorite straight pipe partially because of how light it was and also because it had a bigger bowl diameter than my other pipes. Not that we really need excuses, but what is really prompting me to pull the trigger on this is wanting another pipe with a large diameter bowl. So the straight versus bent thing is really secondary for this pipe but I figured I would get the PSD brain trust thoughts. Thanks
There are 3 models of the falcon stems . The straight one, the slightly curved on the bit (it is called curved) and the Bent one. Personally I like the straight and the bent. The one that is slightly curved I couldn't hold comfortably in my mouth.

Considering your taste in bents, I recommend that one (the full bent!)
There are also different types of bits (the standard one, one with slots and another called dental). I have a bent with a slotted bit ("multipurpose bit") and it is very comfortable. I'll upload a photo for you.IMG_20240629_133719.jpg

Zambani

Not to add any more confusion to this. But I would probably suggest to go with a straight or the bent bit on the straight. I have a full bent one. I modified the bit quite a bit. The way it came from the factory was basically a straight bit off a, bent pipe. It was not comfortable and basically had me sit looking straight into the bowl when it was clenched. Not to overstate it.

Another bonus, falcons are very lightweight and are very easy to clinch even the straight version.Another bonus, falcons are very lightweight and are very easy to clinch even the straight version.

FDengineer

Falcon pipes are cool and they work! I am not a falcon expert but I do have a straight and a dental stem. I prefer the straight. Id suggest paying close attention to the bowl sizes. Most of the falcon bowls are on the smaller end. The biggest bowl diameter i have in the bowls is the snifter, and it isn't all that big

I was thinking about the one I'm linking below which has a .88-in inside diameter and is just a little over an inch deep. That is a little over a 10th of an inch bigger than most of my others which seem to have about a .75 in inside diameter.

I've got a curved stem. It's different from the bent in that the metal part of the stem itself is straight, but the mouthpiece is bent. It hangs like a dream and is one of my best clenchers because it is just so unbelievable lightweight. My only complaint about the falcons is that the mouthpieces are quite slippery on the teeth, even more so than acrylic. I think they're made of nylon. Other than that it's a brilliant little pipe.

I tend to put those rubber bit guards on my pipes so that might make up for the hardness.

There are 3 models of the falcon stems . The straight one, the slightly curved on the bit (it is called curved) and the Bent one. Personally I like the straight and the bent. The one that is slightly curved I couldn't hold comfortably in my mouth.

Considering your taste in bents, I recommend that one (the full bent!)
There are also different types of bits (the standard one, one with slots and another called dental). I have a bent with a slotted bit ("multipurpose bit") and it is very comfortable. I'll upload a photo for you.View attachment 271505

Thank you for the picture

Not to add any more confusion to this. But I would probably suggest to go with a straight or the bent bit on the straight. I have a full bent one. I modified the bit quite a bit. The way it came from the factory was basically a straight bit off a, bent pipe. It was not comfortable and basically had me sit looking straight into the bowl when it was clenched. Not to overstate it.

Another bonus, falcons are very lightweight and are very easy to clinch even the straight version.Another bonus, falcons are very lightweight and are very easy to clinch even the straight version.

Can you heat and bend the bit? If it is that light weight I might like the straight. That is one of the things I liked about the one that went to Davy Jones locker.

Zambani

Can you heat and bend the bit? If it is that light weight I might like the straight. That is one of the things I liked about the one that went to Davy Jones locker.
You can, but it is tricky. The nylon has a particular window when it becomes flexible. I have reshaped bits on my acrylic or vulcanite bits over a candle, which works fine and does not seem to damage the material. The nylon bit seems to be very resistant to heat and then all the sudden it starts burning. The best success that I have had was utilizing a soldering station with a surface mount rework, hot air pen. Which I set to 280 C. and it still put a couple small cracks in the nylon which I had to clean, sand and polish back. That said, I’m quite confident there is an entire thread here at the den all about different techniques for reshaping falcon bits.

FDengineer

@Zambani thank you for the information. That is good to know. If I decide to get a band, I will do some more digging. I have used heat guns before as well on cool can I steps. I have never messed with acrylic. I used boiling water to reshape a Missouri meerschaum but I don't know what they are made out of. I suspect it's just a basic plastic of some sort. I'm pretty sure based on the pictures, if I go with a bench, I'm going to want to put a bigger bend in it.

Tarsius

Hi
I would like to add that there is a difference between the vintage bents and the actual production: if you can have a look at an old bent stem you'll see that it's bent close to the junction with the humidome with a quite "sharp" angle (it lets a mark on the inner tube like it's been "crushed", but it's from factory). The modern bents have their bend "point" a bit further and the bent itself tend to be more "rounded", and there's no mark or visible deformation on the inner tube.
They seem to have upgraded the operation in the factory, but the result is the modern bent stems are also a bit longer than the vintage ones, so they do not look exactly the same (and I know pipe geeks like to pay attention to details).
Also there has been a bent Bantam version, so shorter than the regular stems, which has not been remanufactured since the 70's (?) like the other Bantam stems.
Sorry not my pipe, but a screenshot from an auction site (I would love to get my hands on this bent Bantam for real):
Capture d’écran_2024-07-16_13-53-59.png

Concerning the bowls, the biggest standard shapes are Genoa, Apple, Algiers, Plymouth... but they've made a Sniffer which is taller than the others, and there're the Hyperbowls which are even bigger. You can find Chemneys from custom manufacturers too, they are really tall!
Also in the standard shapes, I've found the "Hunter" series are a tad larger with a better briar quality.

FDengineer

So another question, I was going to start another thread but I decided I would ask here first. Since the straight standard stem is out of stock again, I was thinking about getting the dental. If I didn't like that lip that sticks up at the top, could that be filed down and polished? If so would it be similar to the multi-purpose? Is this just an altogether bad idea? I have decided to go with a straight stem because I really don't think I would like the profile of the bent stem. It just is not Bent enough for my liking. If these things are as light as everyone is saying, I will be fine with a straight stem.

Pedro

I tried the dentals and I didn't like it at all (it bothers me where it rubs against the gum)... I tried to modify it but it's not that easy...

You can find straight stems on eBay.

FDengineer

Just trying to help. Tobacco pipes still has them in stock. I am quite dedicated to bringing more people over to the falcon side.😂
Thank you. I had found that. They don't have some of the things I was going to buy over on SP but it is not a big deal. I have a full cart on both sites right now with like 10 or 12 different samples of blends and the falcon. I was toying the idea of trying out the dental from SP but I think I'm going with tobacco pipes. I spend way more time looking for deals on eBay, hanging out here, and browsing SP and such that I do actually smoking.

Summer69

Falcons are great (can be) in both bent and straight. I have owned several and I’ll say congrats! That said, I would advise ordering from a place you can call and have them put hands on your exact one before shipping. My last new production Falcon looked like it wasn’t QA’d. Different sheen and the fixed stem wasn’t aligned correctly. I ordered from overseas and emails went unanswered.
Again, I still have 2 and appreciate them regularly. The last was gifted. Great luck and happiest of bowls sir.

Zambani

Thank you. I had found that. They don't have some of the things I was going to buy over on SP but it is not a big deal. I have a full cart on both sites right now with like 10 or 12 different samples of blends and the falcon. I was toying the idea of trying out the dental from SP but I think I'm going with tobacco pipes. I spend way more time looking for deals on eBay, hanging out here, and browsing SP and such that I do actually smoking.
Yeah, I definitely relate to that. I think I spend more time shopping and hanging out on this group than I do smoking. I am lucky if I get out three times a week to smoke. 😂

FDengineer

Yeah, I definitely relate to that. I think I spend more time shopping and hanging out on this group than I do smoking. I am lucky if I get out three times a week to smoke. 😂
Well that is more than me sometimes. A lot of times I'm lucky if I get out once a week. I don't really mind though. I feel like people that smoke cigarettes or chew or maybe even people that smoke pipes all day everyday have more of a habit or what some might call an addiction. I truly do not understand an addiction. Perhaps I have been blessed with non addictive tendencies or perhaps I just haven't dabbled with the right substance to draw it out of me. To me this is more of a hobby and part of the enjoyment I get out of it is the camaraderie on here and with my fellow pipe smokers at the fire department as well as the chase of looking at different things that are hobby related.

On the original topic, I decided to buy from GQ in england. They are actually cheaper and have a better selection. For some reason the shipping got more expensive when I sat on it overnight so I started looking at adding more items into my cart to spread the shipping cost. All the sudden they have a bent extra on sale cheaper than the straight I was getting and so right now I have two bowls , a bent, and a straight in my cart. Both are the extra which is the brown color which I like because the biggest thing I dislike about the falcon in concept is the color. It makes me think more of paraphernalia than a traditional pipe but I wasn't willing to spend extra money that that they wanted here in the US. In any case, I might end up with a bent and a straight and two bowls.

Screenshot_20240722-082652.png

Piping Abe

Confessions of a Burley Lover
Well that is more than me sometimes. A lot of times I'm lucky if I get out once a week. I don't really mind though. I feel like people that smoke cigarettes or chew or maybe even people that smoke pipes all day everyday have more of a habit or what some might call an addiction. I truly do not understand an addiction. Perhaps I have been blessed with non addictive tendencies or perhaps I just haven't dabbled with the right substance to draw it out of me. To me this is more of a hobby and part of the enjoyment I get out of it is the camaraderie on here and with my fellow pipe smokers at the fire department as well as the chase of looking at different things that are hobby related.

On the original topic, I decided to buy from GQ in england. They are actually cheaper and have a better selection. For some reason the shipping got more expensive when I sat on it overnight so I started looking at adding more items into my cart to spread the shipping cost. All the sudden they have a bent extra on sale cheaper than the straight I was getting and so right now I have two bowls , a bent, and a straight in my cart. Both are the extra which is the brown color which I like because the biggest thing I dislike about the falcon in concept is the color. It makes me think more of paraphernalia than a traditional pipe but I wasn't willing to spend extra money that that they wanted here in the US. In any case, I might end up with a bent and a straight and two bowls.

View attachment 273596

I’ve been waiting for you to place this order for like a week 🤣 Falcons are awesome. You’ll love it.

FDengineer

😂 I am weird. In high pressure and life and death situations, I can make quick and decisive decisions and stand by them without second-guessing myself. When it comes to something that really has no consequence and in the scheme of life is a meaningless decision I am indecisive and agonize over it for days sometimes such as deciding which stem to get or which falcon bowl to get. It is not even really the dollar amount even though I waffle back and forth on something over a few dollars that while I don't consider myself wealthy, definitely are under the limit where I would notice it in any way. My wife says I can be cheap to the point of being expensive. The example she used just the other day, I wanted to barbecue but was out of propane. I bought myself a $900 barbecue for Father's Day (I paid $700 because of a father's day sale). I swapped out one of my propane tanks and the one they gave me was defective. I have been fighting with the vendor over it and in the meantime my other cylinder ran out. My wife said that I could have just gone and paid $25 at a different place and swapped the cylinder out again but because I was too bullheaded I instead have a $900 barbecue sitting idle and had to cook the steaks inside and heat up the house.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant and sorry for keeping you waiting.

Pedro

I think you'll like them too! What I like most is that the smokes are always the same, the draw is also wide and I enjoy the tobaccos more than with other pipes. Their bowls are more than enough size for me (I don't like to smoke for so long) and I don't have the problem with briar pipes that they start to gurgle, the draw can be clogged or you can get a strange taste from a vulcanite stem and the unpleasant feeling of acrylic (sorry, I can't stand them LOL). They can be cleaned quickly and are cheap...
As for the look, at first I found them horrible but now I like them... For all these reasons they are the pipes that I use the most.
As for the types of falcons, I prefer the American ones that are older and have thinner stems. The bent I have is English but it is also old and I find that the bit is less slippery than the current ones. Anyway, I'm already treading too finely. There are some who use rubber bits and in that case this last point would be irrelevant. And to try them, buying a new one is also a good option.
Obviously there is nothing written in terms of taste and many are not convinced by the falcons and would not change his briars pipes for nothing!
Tell us what you think!

Top Bottom