Best blends for indoors

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
The honest truth for myself as far as offering advice is that everyone is different as far as aromas they can or will tolerate in a more confined area. It has already been said but I will say that some aromatics will leave a room note that may linger much longer than you want. I would suggest milder aromatics. Many times the lasting notes will stay in curtains, upholstery and other places. I suggest staying away from anything that is strong in lasting room notes. You can always progress through some blends. It becomes what you and your beloved are willing to tolerate with the smells that may linger long term. Each person tolerates these things differently.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Alrighty married codgers. My wife has finally let me smoke in my study, so long as it is an aromatic that smells nice and doesn't linger too bad. Can anyone suggest some aromatic blends that my wife and I will both enjoy, and not get me kicked out of the house? By the way, she thought thought Plum Pudding would have a nice aroma because of the name. Should I tell her or let it figure it out? :poke::whistling:
Are you able to set up a window fan? I do most of my smoking in my den with the window fan going during and for 10 or 15 minutes after a smoke. I find very little if any aroma lingers. I also find that with the fan on, no matter what type of blend I'm smoking the aroma doesn't leave the room. I've found that ash, dottle, used pipe cleaners, and any tobacco not sealed in a jar (loose bits spilled on the desk or floor, anything in a ziplock) contribute more to the aroma of the room than the actual smoke itself. If I keep things tidy and vacuum once or twice a week the aroma is minimal in the room and undetectable outside the room.

Shasta Piper

Congratulations on getting to smoke inside! I find my wife likes most tobacco smells when I’m actually smoking, it’s the after-smell she sometimes comments on. I highly suggest following @tfdickson’s advice and using a fan or at least opening a window to let the room air out. I also have found that dirty pipe cleaners and ashtrays full of dottle can be more offensive than the smoke, throw them away outside. I don’t smoke aromatics very often but my wife does enjoy the smell of Autumn Evening.

Hunter Hughes

Are you able to set up a window fan? I do most of my smoking in my den with the window fan going during and for 10 or 15 minutes after a smoke. I find very little if any aroma lingers. I also find that with the fan on, no matter what type of blend I'm smoking the aroma doesn't leave the room. I've found that ash, dottle, used pipe cleaners, and any tobacco not sealed in a jar (loose bits spilled on the desk or floor, anything in a ziplock) contribute more to the aroma of the room than the actual smoke itself. If I keep things tidy and vacuum once or twice a week the aroma is minimal in the room and undetectable outside the room.
This is exactly what I have been doing and what led her to say yes. Using a window fan to extract the smoke and cleaning up any mess left behind such as ashes and cleaners. So far it has worked pretty well and I'm slowly trying out stuff to see what will work for both of us. Sadly Latakia and Virginias have all been no's just from her smelling them outside. But I'm going to better seal the room with weather stripping and some other ideas so the smoke doesn't linger into the rest of the house.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
This is exactly what I have been doing and what led her to say yes. Using a window fan to extract the smoke and cleaning up any mess left behind such as ashes and cleaners. So far it has worked pretty well and I'm slowly trying out stuff to see what will work for both of us. Sadly Latakia and Virginias have all been no's just from her smelling them outside. But I'm going to better seal the room with weather stripping and some other ideas so the smoke doesn't linger into the rest of the house.
Sounds great, if you think airflow might be an issue, this is the fan I use, it works really well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065DKJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One aro I like that seems to be a crowd pleaser is Scotty’s Butternut Burley, sweet but not a gooper.

Greenbriar

Looks like you have a nice excuse to buy multiple kinds of tobaccos for her to "test" by you smoking them around the house.

I brought Scotty's butternut Burley on a backpacking trip with my wife and she liked it.

I personally love the taste and room note of RLP-6 so I would give that a go. Try a few topped englishes too just to see. She might end up liking one. Bengal slices or something.

I would give autumn evening a try. Maybe a good navy flake too