Best blends for indoors

Tianlin

If she smells this, she might want to smoke some with you. View attachment 38541
I was about to chime in to recommend this among other blends.

RLP-6 and Captain Black White smell good. Really, really good. Most likely what most people who comment "Oh, I love the smell of pipe tobacco!" are talking about when they learn you smoke a pipe. If it's all you smoke in there, your smoking room will likely smell better over time rather than worse. In high school a friend's father smoked nothing but CBW, and his house smelled amazing to me. Many people say these are the same tobaccos but the RLP-6 has much less PG and is sold bulk rather than in a neat labeled pouch or bucket. I haven't tried them side by side, but they seem awfully similar to me. I stick with RLP-6 because it's great and cheaper.

I'm trying a new-to-me aromatic, which is MacBaren Vanilla Cream. I'd had the flake before, but not the mixture. It's good, but very mild and can bite when you try to coax out a touch more flavor. It's probably less tempting to try to do that when smoking indoors, and the stuff smells amazing. If you aren't super prone to tongue bite, try it. Even if you are, just add an ounce of the stuff from bulk onto your next order, it's worth gambling the two or three bucks to try it.

Opinion: not all aromatics will continue to smell nice after the pipe goes out for a while. To avoid excessive numbers of botched experiments with indoor smoking which may lead to her changing her mind, you might want to try finding clues as to what will do well indoors before you actually try them indoors. If you smoke in your car, try smoking only one blend for a few days in your car, at least once a day, without smoking anything else in there. After a few days, how does the car smell when you get in? More like the tin/pouch note, or more like an ashtray? If you don't smoke in your car, just smoke the same blend in the same pipe at least once a day for a few days in a row and smell the pipe. I have several pipes I smoke aromatics in - some smell kind of like the unburned tobacco, some smell more or less like other pipes of mine. Just might help you with narrowing down the field of candidates before upsetting any delicate noses. I tend to find vanilla/chocolate type flavors, often blends with at least a little black cavendish, tend to work best for this kind of thing. Fruit aromatics in my experience less so, regardless of what tobacco is used. I love Newminster Blackberry Brandy, but the pipe I smoke it in smells like the tobacco plus ashtray smell . . . probably not as good a choice as Vanilla Flake or something.

RLP-6 and Captain Black White smell good. Really, really good. Most likely what most people who comment "Oh, I love the smell of pipe tobacco!" are talking about when they learn you smoke a pipe. If it's all you smoke in there, your smoking room will likely smell better over time rather than worse. In high school a friend's father smoked nothing but CBW, and his house smelled amazing to me. Many people say these are the same tobaccos but the RLP-6 has much less PG and is sold bulk rather than in a neat labeled pouch or bucket. I haven't tried them side by side, but they seem awfully similar to me. I stick with RLP-6 because it's great and cheaper.

I'm trying a new-to-me aromatic, which is MacBaren Vanilla Cream. I'd had the flake before, but not the mixture. It's good, but very mild and can bite when you try to coax out a touch more flavor. It's probably less tempting to try to do that when smoking indoors, and the stuff smells amazing. If you aren't super prone to tongue bite, try it. Even if you are, just add an ounce of the stuff from bulk onto your next order, it's worth gambling the two or three bucks to try it.

Opinion: not all aromatics will continue to smell nice after the pipe goes out for a while. To avoid excessive numbers of botched experiments with indoor smoking which may lead to her changing her mind, you might want to try finding clues as to what will do well indoors before you actually try them indoors. If you smoke in your car, try smoking only one blend for a few days in your car, at least once a day, without smoking anything else in there. After a few days, how does the car smell when you get in? More like the tin/pouch note, or more like an ashtray? If you don't smoke in your car, just smoke the same blend in the same pipe at least once a day for a few days in a row and smell the pipe. I have several pipes I smoke aromatics in - some smell kind of like the unburned tobacco, some smell more or less like other pipes of mine. Just might help you with narrowing down the field of candidates before upsetting any delicate noses. I tend to find vanilla/chocolate type flavors, often blends with at least a little black cavendish, tend to work best for this kind of thing. Fruit aromatics in my experience less so, regardless of what tobacco is used. I love Newminster Blackberry Brandy, but the pipe I smoke it in smells like the tobacco plus ashtray smell . . . probably not as good a choice as Vanilla Flake or something.
I completely agree on your assessment of Vanilla Cream. The mixture sold in packets definitely tends to bite a bit; for some reason, I've found the blend to bite less when it's sold in a tin. I've only sampled the flake version once, but it produced absolutely no bite at all. My impression is that the aroma and room note are excellent, although the flavor is quite subtle: I detect its nice earthiness while I also get just enough vanilla to keep me interested. The vanilla notes in Vanilla Cream are much less assertive than the flavoring I get in 1Q, CBW, and RLP-6.

The worst lingering room note I've ever experienced was from G&H Top Black Cherry, smelled great while smoking and indescribably awful after, and it was one I was trying to sneak in the house while my wife was gone a few days. Thought the smell would be gone within minutes but it took a while. Fortunately I never got in trouble

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron

This is insightful advice. Thinking about how the "after-note" might smell and the suggestion to experiment before introduction into a wife-environment is wise.

@Tianlin thank you for your incredible advice. I have discovered that what you are saying is absolutely true.

What has happened since making this thread is several generous members sent me some aros to try out, as I'm typically and English or VaPer guy. I was able to ventilate my study so the smell doesn't leave the room. Luckily for me my wife occasionally smokes a pipe or cigar so, she understands my love of tobacco. She realy enjoyed the smell of all the aromatics as I was smoking them, but she found that they all mostly left the same smell in the room after I was done smoking. But the smell doesn't leave the room and so far I have been able to use candles and tart burners to ease the smell. I found that I actually really enjoy the smell of the room now that I can smoke in it.

Since most aromatics left the same smell to her, I slowly started adding in other tobaccos without letting her know. If I asked if I could smoke Plum Pudding inside she would probably have said no, but I gave it a go without telling her and she didn't notice. I finally let her know and she was surprised that she didn't notice. I can happily say I can now smoke anything blend in my study, including cigars!

The reason for my success at not getting divorced or sent to the dog house is proper ventilation and the smell stays in the room. When entering the study there is a very pleasant smell to me, but it's my room and since she doesn't have to go in there much she doesn't care as long as the smell it stays in the room.

I just hope over time nothing changes and the smell of the room doesn't bleed into the rest of the house. However I think I am in the clear. Sorry for the repetitions of "the smell not leaving the room" but I can't stress how important this has been