Birds Eye.....similar blends?>

Old_Woodsman

Sorry if this has been addressed before.

Anyone tried something that is close to GH Birds Eye? Maybe:

• Dan Tobacco DTM Dark Moon,
  • Rattray's Marlin Flake
  • ...or maybe a Robert McConnell that's similar?

...if not, what would you recommend as a close alternative?

Thanks.....

SwampWeed

Black Twist & Black Beer
Sales
Penny Farthing is in the same wheelhouse, but has perique. It's my go to when I'm out of DBE

Unfortunately, it's one of the only regular C&D blends that only comes in 2oz cans (no bulk). ☹️

Dark Moor is excellent but much smokier than DBE.

DBE just has a flavor that is incomparable. I feel like it's one of a very few blends I could identify blind

Last edited:

Old_Woodsman

Penny Farthing is in the same wheelhouse, but has perique. It's my go to when I'm out of DBE

Unfortunately, it's one of the only regular C&D blends that only comes in 2oz cans (no bulk). ☹️

Dark Moor is excellent but much smokier than DBE.

DBE just has a flavor that is incomparable. I feel like it's one of a very few blends I could identify blind

Thats helpful, thanks!

Grimpeur

Patron
Oddball suggestion: Drum cigarette tobacco. Not the US version: I know it's different, but I've never had it. Drum halfzware is quite like a light DBE, I bet the fullzware, if available in the UK, would be even closer. Given the price of rolling tobacco in the UK, I imagine it would be for emergency use only.

commonsenseman

I'm partial to GLP Cumberland. It's a great blend, but I think it's slept on. These days I reach for it over DBE.
I've been working through a sample of Hu Dark Moor this past week & it has very similar components to Cumberland. Have you tried Dark Moor? It's Brown VA, with DFK & just a whisper of Perique. It's dark, smoky & mysterious, without being crazy strong. I'm thinking they "may" taste similar & I'd love to find something stateside.

It's so nice with a cup of coffee in the morning. :wizard:

dbutler

Sales
I've been working through a sample of Hu Dark Moor this past week & it has very similar components to Cumberland. Have you tried Dark Moor? It's Brown VA, with DFK & just a whisper of Perique. It's dark, smoky & mysterious, without being crazy strong. I'm thinking they "may" taste similar & I'd love to find something stateside.

It's so nice with a cup of coffee in the morning. :wizard:
I've got some Dark Moor in the cellar, it's good stuff! There are definitely some similarities, but Cumberland doesn't have that mysterious, dark smokiness which makes DM so good. Cumberland's a different character, brighter with a bit more of what I would call the rugged C&D "charm" (which I don't mean as a criticism). More like cousins than brothers, I would say.

commonsenseman

I've got some Dark Moor in the cellar, it's good stuff! There are definitely some similarities, but Cumberland doesn't have that mysterious, dark smokiness which makes DM so good. Cumberland's a different character, brighter with a bit more of what I would call the rugged C&D "charm" (which I don't mean as a criticism). More like cousins than brothers, I would say.
Thanks for the info!

officialgawithhoggarth

To me it's very similar tasting too.
Because it is! Kendal Kentucky and Dark Birds Eye and Kendal Dark are effectively all the same. Many years back they used to be different products with slightly different leaf variations but as those types of leaf became unavailable the blends homogenised into one. Seemed a little pointless having the same product put out under 3 different names and labels. Kendal Kentucky is no longer produced under this name. In the UK there is now just Kendal Dark produced. Dark Birds Eye is only made for the American market.

commonsenseman

Because it is! Kendal Kentucky and Dark Birds Eye and Kendal Dark are effectively all the same. Many years back they used to be different products with slightly different leaf variations but as those types of leaf became unavailable the blends homogenised into one. Seemed a little pointless having the same product put out under 3 different names and labels. Kendal Kentucky is no longer produced under this name. In the UK there is now just Kendal Dark produced. Dark Birds Eye is only made for the American market.
Whoa, I learn something new every day. Thanks!

Top Bottom