Birth of PSD 3.0

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
This is the official PSD 3.0 birthday thread. I was going to hold off until Monday the 23rd, the day the mods started work on this site. But seeing as how some have already brought it up, here goes.

Many of our almost 900 members were on PSF (The site Woody ran}.

A little history for some of the newer members.

We knew Woody was going to have what he thought would be a minor operation the beginning of April 2018. After not hearing from him for a few weeks, we had a guy who knew some other guys found out that Woody died after that not so minor operation.

He had made no contingency plans to pass the torch. It was like he wanted the site to die either with him or with he pulling the plug. The mod staff plus 3 others discussed what to do. We talked it over and none of us found any of the other sites at all appealing, so we gave birth to this bad boy. But there were growing pains.

As you may have noticed, I refer to this as PSD 3.0. We tried 2 different free forum hosting platforms and found them to be lacking. That is how we decided on this host and forum software. Yes we have to pay for it, but it is worth it. Thanks to all who have upgraded their accounts. My MasterCard thanks you.

On 23 April we went live with just the staff. We worked feverishly to get it ready to roll. But we never knew if we had minutes, hours or days to build and test it and tweak it. Various external factors forced our hands and we went live on 28 April. We continued addressing the issue of why we just didn't take over control of PSF. Along about the eleventy thousandth time we responded some of us got a touch cranky. We tried our best to inform everyone that it would take a little time to iron out the wrinkles. We need to give @Sasquatch a lot of credit for talking the rest of us down off the ledge. Several times.:bow::appl:

So here we are almost a year & 900 members later. Many of you old timers who came with us from PSF surely recognize we are not an exact clone. But we like to think we have remained true to the experience that was PSF.

Some of the newer members may wonder what is up with all the non pipe smoking tomfoolery. That is how we pass the time waiting for someone who asks for help and advice. Much like firemen sit around playing checkers waiting for an alarm.

However, the heart and soul of this forum is the membership. Y'all make it fun and worthwhile. Give yourselves a big hand.

Keep piping:sf1:

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
I love this place. It’s the only forum I’m on, and I considered going offline altogether when the old site was shutting down. While my wallet probably would be a lot happier if I had, I wouldn’t.

Thanks to all of y’all for the hard work, and to all the members for making this place what it is.

Oh, and all the pie. Thanks for that too. I guess.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
I love this place. It’s the only forum I’m on, and I considered going offline altogether when the old site was shutting down. While my wallet probably would be a lot happier if I had, I wouldn’t.

Thanks to all of y’all for the hard work, and to all the members for making this place what it is.

Oh, and all the pie. Thanks for that too. I guess.
And horses.

Hunter Hughes

I ran into PSF right before it went down. I had found this amazing community of very kind and knowledgeable folks that enjoyed pipe smoking as much as I did. Then to my surprise as soon as I found this amazing community it was shutdown. I couldn't be more thankful for PSD and all the amazing folks here for making this site possible and keeping the tradition of PSF going.

cajunrph

Figuring out life, one puff at a time.
Patron
I was a lost soul for a while trying to find the old PSF. There's another one close to the other URL that I had joined. It had some of the old timers there as well. I thought I found all you fellas. Then on an Aristocob video he mentioned this forum. I thank you and the other mods for all they did. Almost everyone is here. Save for Ruff. Anyone know where he is?

This is the greatest group of guys & Gals of any site I’ve ever been on. Thanks to the good comradely and the moderators it all comes together. It’s one of the first things I check of a morning and one of the last I check at night. Thanks to all the ENABLERS on here I don’t have as much money to fret about 🤣😂🤣

Moose

This is the only forum regularly use. Very friendly and you aren’t attacked or belittled if you ask a stupid question. I’ve been on other forums where there were “Cliques” which were uncomfortable. That is not found here,everyone is treated equally and rarely does anyone abuse it.
Thanks to all the mods and their helpers for picking up the pieces for all us urchins.

RubberSoul65

Misplaces Lighters
Patron
I'm very grateful for the mods and all the hard work that went into finding us a new home. I'm a one forum guy. If not for this site I'd be drifting in pipe smoking purgatory looking for a place that resembled the old PSF. This place fills that void and then some. Thanks again for what seemed on OUR side a smooth transition.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
i too love this place. it's a true comfort zone for me, and the people here are just plain straight up awesome.
Again--to the mods, and all those who not only worked hard, but continue to make this site possible--thank you, and a big ol' happy birthday to PSD.

I have to agree with everyone and say thanks again to the Mod Squad, having seen a little bit of what you had to deal with and everyone asking the same question multiple times I’m glad you all stuck it out. Although it’s slightly worrying that @Sasquatch is the one talking you all down!

I’m glad that this place has kept the feel of PSF with most of the old faces and some new ones. I’m not all that active, but I do check multiple times a day and I’m happy to count this as a big part of my online home. It really would have been a shame if PSF had died without this lifeboat to keep us all going.