What's new

Black Meerschaum

JerseyPiper

Anyone ever heard of this company?

https://www.blackmeerschaum.com/

They have a bunch of neat looking nose-warmer meers. The tenons are apparantley briar, which I've never heard of before in a meerschaum pipe. I would guess that's a lot better than the usual white plastic inserts other meerschaums use... I really like the look of a few of them, wondering if someone out there has had any experience with this maker/company. $200.00 a pipe for a pretty looking meer seems like a fair deal. The boxes they come in seem nice too.

blackmouth210

The mortise looks lined with briar.
The tenon? It looks like a normal tenon to me.

I could see the benefit of a lining a mortise with briar over some cheap nylon.
But why a briar tenon?
Could it be the website mgr doesn't know it's the mortise that has briar rather than the tenon?

JerseyPiper

The mortise looks lined with briar.
The tenon? It looks like a normal tenon to me.

I could see the benefit of a lining a mortise with briar over some cheap nylon.
But why a briar tenon?
Could it be the website mgr doesn't know it's the mortise that has briar rather than the tenon?
I think you're right. The mortise is lined with briar in the pictures, the tenons look normal. Confusion on the part of whoever wrote their website? Maybe a language barrier/translation thing?

Mr Beardsley

I've messaged them on Instagram before and didn't really get any answers. If you read the about section on the website you can see that blackmeerschaum is just a company brand. They don't actually manufacture the pipes, just contract out the production.

Anyone ever heard of this company?

https://www.blackmeerschaum.com/

They have a bunch of neat looking nose-warmer meers. The tenons are apparantley briar, which I've never heard of before in a meerschaum pipe. I would guess that's a lot better than the usual white plastic inserts other meerschaums use... I really like the look of a few of them, wondering if someone out there has had any experience with this maker/company. $200.00 a pipe for a pretty looking meer seems like a fair deal. The boxes they come in seem nice too.
Hello I am using one of them, I bought it last summer. According to me, briar tenon is healtier than others. Plastic tenons getting wet easily and also you can breath plastic, briar is absorbent so meershaum can colouring more quickly.

Thats the box and the pipe, its pretty nice..
a5232da1-2287-4967-802f-f49e16de9247.JPG

JerseyPiper

After some googling, I found this youtube video from "Breman Pipe Smoker".

He seems to like it a lot and sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I'm on the fence about taking the plunge. The bad writing/communication on the website and limited amount of first hand reviews doesn't really give me the "Warm Fuzzies" about it. I do like the look of the brushed/rusticated bulldog they have, but in this price range theres pipes available from others who already have a good reputation.

:mystery:

Someone buy one and tell me if its any good! LOL.

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
After some googling, I found this youtube video from "Breman Pipe Smoker".

He seems to like it a lot and sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I'm on the fence about taking the plunge. The bad writing/communication on the website and limited amount of first hand reviews doesn't really give me the "Warm Fuzzies" about it. I do like the look of the brushed/rusticated bulldog they have, but in this price range theres pipes available from others who already have a good reputation.

:mystery:

Someone buy one and tell me if its any good! LOL.
I really enjoy his videos for the historical aspects and the virtual sightseeing.