What's new

Blind Sample Reviews

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Heidi ho folks, Ozzie here with a bowl of blind sample number four from Spillproof. Another nutty Burley! Creamy molasses cookies thing going on. I'm thinking about a bit more time before a serious guess.

Hopefully my first sample to Spill didn't make him toss cookies!

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
I want to go ahead and toss this up for the new guys before this gets too far.

**Spillproof’s header for Blind Reviews** ~

This thread is for people interested in exchanging Blind Samples and posting their reviews. This will be a highly entertaining thread for spectators and a humbling and educational experience for the reviewers. Participants need not have a professional or sophisticated palate and any level of "review" is acceptable. At a minimum just tell us if you like each blend and maybe include a couple of adjectives. If you want to guess what's in the blend all the better, and guessing the individual blend is always encouraged - but not required. If you'd like to write the review in the third person while dressed as a newt that is your prerogative.

Let's say a minimum of 3 samples exchanged (*or as many as you'd like). Try to seal or double bag particularly stinky blends and use priority mail so the samples aren't completely dried out and cross-contaminated upon arrival.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Okie dokie! Number four is another Burley blend. Nice and chewy, sweet molasses, a bit of caramel, and honey wheat bread. Very spongie feel to it, though not damp. Set some out to get it a bit crispier, but it didn't happen in an hour. The finish of the bowl and after taste reminded me of gingerbread.

Could it be Carter Hall?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Sample #2

Bag Notes:
Fairly moist. Very strong cherry smell, possibly a little chocolate and fermented Va's - pleasing on the nose Very familiar.

Pipes used:
BST Prince
MM Patriot
Falcon with meer bowl

Initial Impressions:
Cherry!

Overall Smokes:
Packs easily, stays lit, smokes very well and is about as Cherry as a tobacco can be. Very pleasant and sweet snork. Will definitely bite If pushed but otherwise very tame. Classic American aromatic blend - Cavendish & burley with a neutral Virginia base, heavily cased, and intended as an all day smoke. Light on nicotine, a good amount of PG, and sugary. The cherry flavoring reminded me of Luden's cough drops (which I ate like candy as a kid). And the smell of the blend reminded me of the Tinder Box I used to visit with my dad - so thanks for that.

This stuff reminds me of a dozen Cherry blends I've encountered at B&M's over the years so I'm guessing it's a very popular Lane's blend...

I think this is Very Cherry.
(Or Maybe BCA)

Alright Wizard now is when you tell me this is pure latakia extracted from BS759.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Truth be told, that too is a now extinct blend from Drew Estates. One of four in a series called The Four Seasons, made for Tsugi.

(Drum roll)

First Day Of Spring. A VaPerBur. Berry topping. Released in 2014. I got three sets of this series and the Gods series when they came out. All very distinct from each other. I was enamoured by the tin art. (Ooooh, shiny!)

No Latakia.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Truth be told, that too is a now extinct blend from Drew Estates. One of four in a series called The Four Seasons, made for Tsugi.

(Drum roll)

First Day Of Spring. A VaPerBur. Berry topping. Released in 2014. I got three sets of this series and the Gods series when they came out. All very distinct from each other. I was enamoured by the tin art. (Ooooh, shiny!)

No Latakia.
Berries not cherry, and perique not cavendish.
Yep that sounds like one of my review alright. In my defense I don't think I'll ever taste perique again after sample #1 ;-)

Good stuff Wizard thanks for sharing it.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Yah, after fifty percent Perique, you're going to have to take some time before you notice it again. It suddenly becomes more condimental..... It'll be alright. I get over it, but sometimes it takes a tin of Ennerdale to balance the scales;). Or as I often do, ?ight Ginnies or something like Carter Hall for a while. Hang on, this rollercoaster ain't done yet!:naughty:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Apologies for the delay folks but here we go.

Sample #3 from Ozark Wizard:
VaBurPerOr or the very rare VaBurOr.

Bag Notes:
Maple syrup sweetness, red Virginias, something spicy and musty (perique? orientals?). Smells awesome. Ribbon cut and dry enough to smoke without much prep.

Pipes used:
Vermont Freehand PSF2016POY
Vermont Freehand NorseDog
Falcon

Initial Impression:
Very sweet and spicy. Smooth. Creamy. Easily snorked. I will smoke more of this.

Overall Smokes:
Take McClelland Frog Morton On the Bayou and remove the latakia, or take Yenice Agonya and add a little perique, and you have something kinda like this. A very sweet red-virginia and burley base (toasted marshmallow with some darker notes) with a really nice combination of orientals (Basma and Yenindje?). Clean. Sweet & Sour. Spicy on the tongue if pushed at all but the snork is easy even when hot - probably more the orientals than perique (if present). Ends much like it starts, just a little darker and more likely to bite. Very tasty stuff- I smoked 5 bowls of it and I still don't really have a clue what it is- but I like it :)

Not gonna hazard a guess because it would truly be a guess. What is it!?

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay folks but here we go.

Sample #3 from Ozark Wizard:
VaBurPerOr or the very rare VaBurOr.

Bag Notes:
Maple syrup sweetness, red Virginias, something spicy and musty (perique? orientals?). Smells awesome. Ribbon cut and dry enough to smoke without much prep.

Pipes used:
Vermont Freehand PSF2016POY
Vermont Freehand NorseDog
Falcon

Initial Impression:
Very sweet and spicy. Smooth. Creamy. Easily snorked. I will smoke more of this.

Overall Smokes:
Take McClelland Frog Morton On the Bayou and remove the latakia, or take Yenice Agonya and add a little perique, and you have something kinda like this. A very sweet red-virginia and burley base (toasted marshmallow with some darker notes) with a really nice combination of orientals (Basma and Yenindje?). Clean. Sweet & Sour. Spicy on the tongue if pushed at all but the snork is easy even when hot - probably more the orientals than perique (if present). Ends much like it starts, just a little darker and more likely to bite. Very tasty stuff- I smoked 5 bowls of it and I still don't really have a clue what it is- but I like it :)

Not gonna hazard a guess because it would truly be a guess. What is it!?
Man, I really like that Norse Dog. BriarWorks puts it together, yes?