What's new

Blind Sample Reviews

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
Makes me wish there were more va/or out there.
I like C&D Oriental Silk and Orion's Arrow, but they are Va/Or/Per blends. Fr Tom likes Or Olam and Boker Or, but again both have perique; I keep meaning to pick up a tin of one or both. I also like Stokkebye Norwegian and Low Country Virginia/Oriental. Stokkebye Turkish is another, but I don't like it as much as Norwegian.

I like C&D Oriental Silk and Orion's Arrow, but they are Va/Or/Per blends. Fr Tom likes Or Olam and Boker Or, but again both have perique; I keep meaning to pick up a tin of one or both. I also like Stokkebye Norwegian and Low Country Virginia/Oriental. Stokkebye Turkish is another, but I don't like it as much as Norwegian.
I've looked at oriental silk, or olam and boker before. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks!

Kamkiel

My package of blind review samples arrived in the mail today from @Spillproof. This package resembled a family tree of sorts as I took it out of the box. Inside the first ziplock tobacco bag we’re several other ziplock bags broken down by genre, these bags then contained the actual samples that will so bravely be blindly sampled.

I immediately stuffed my nose in all of the samples to see what kind of work lay ahead of me. These preemptive whiffs confused my senses by just overloading them with all smells tobacco.

I had the opportunity today to smoke sample 1 in a small Dublin with a “V” shaped chamber. I will grow the bowl size gradually as I sample these flakes from sample 1.

When I first looked at sample 1 I had thought it was some Va Lat Ribbon, but as I started to prepare it for the pipe I discovered that this was actually a Flake. These thin sliced flakes have signs of aging, and I can imagine them falling to pieces as Spillproof attempted to move them from storage to ziplock.

This first pipe has been smoked in three intervals, and should be finished off by tomorrow. The Latakia has intensified as I move further down, but it may be because the flakes weren’t intact and the large ribbons of Latakia have occupied the lower section of the chamber.

Sorry for the wordy post with no guesses on what tobacco is in sample one. I am just happy to participate at this point and thank Spillproof!

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
My package of blind review samples arrived in the mail today from @Spillproof.
I had the opportunity today to smoke sample 1 in a small Dublin with a “V” shaped chamber. I will grow the bowl size gradually as I sample these flakes from sample 1.

When I first looked at sample 1 I had thought it was some Va Lat Ribbon, but as I started to prepare it for the pipe I discovered that this was actually a Flake. These thin sliced flakes have signs of aging, and I can imagine them falling to pieces as Spillproof attempted to move them from storage to ziplock.

This first pipe has been smoked in three intervals, and should be finished off by tomorrow. The Latakia has intensified as I move further down, but it may be because the flakes weren’t intact and the large ribbons of Latakia have occupied the lower section of the chamber.

Sorry for the wordy post with no guesses on what tobacco is in sample one. I am just happy to participate at this point and thank Spillproof!
Glad to hear the package arrived in one piece and that you're already underway. I can confirm that Sample #1 is (or was) a flake and apologize that it was mangled beyond recognition. Do you want me to tell you what it is?

Kamkiel

Glad to hear the package arrived in one piece and that you're already underway. I can confirm that Sample #1 is (or was) a flake and apologize that it was mangled beyond recognition. Do you want me to tell you what it is?
The only flakes I have smoked with Latakia are SG Balkan Flake(which I really enjoyed) and HH Latakia Flake. The flakes you sent were thin sliced like the HH Latakia Flake, but weren’t dark.

My guess right now would be Special Latakia Flake, but I’m going to smoke this more. For all I know there could be some Lakeland hidden away in there that aging has watered down.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
The only flakes I have smoked with Latakia are SG Balkan Flake(which I really enjoyed) and HH Latakia Flake. The flakes you sent were thin sliced like the HH Latakia Flake, but weren’t dark.

My guess right now would be Special Latakia Flake, but I’m going to smoke this more. For all I know there could be some Lakeland hidden away in there that aging has watered down.
I'd say trust your gut (nudge nudge, wink wink).

Kamkiel

Correct!
Sample #1 is 2010 Germain's Special Latakia Flake.

Impressive sir.
It is really good, and I am really happy that I had the chance to smoke it.

I was able to smoke a pipe of sample 2 last night, and that was really really good! Sweet with some spice,constantly evolving as it went down, incredible. I plan to spend more time with it, but I had to come to LA on business. I get back home Saturday night and plan to spend some quality time with it all day Sunday.

I feel that Spillproof is taking me on a journey of “hard to finds” and I am loving it.

bonus:
My coworker wanted to go to In and Out Burger near the airport after we picked up our rental. As we were driving away, there was a fellow with a straight saddle steamed apple walking in the parking lot. It was exciting to see someone smoking their pipe in public.

Kamkiel

Sample number two:

I smoked this in a briar pipe last week and was trying really hard to analyze it through various small distractions. When I first lit it up there was an unpleasant flavor that I first thought could have a cavendish or something. That disappeared once it got going, and it was pretty tasty after that. This blend is a soothing sweet that just gets better with some “warm” flavors that keep things interesting.

Overall the first smoke got me pumped to smoke more, but business travel got in the way. I originally was thinking it was some one of mythical red virginias, but the cut of the ribbon didn’t seem right.

Today I had more in a clay. I don’t have much experience with burleys. Every time I smoke a Burley based blend, I am back at a jiminks review and am trying to force these nutty, earthy, molasses-y flavors out and end up not enjoying the smoke.

In today’s clay I feel like I was getting a lot of sweet molasses and maybe some chocolate. I am going to guess Edgeworth ready rub... how wrong am I?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Sample number two:

I smoked this in a briar pipe last week and was trying really hard to analyze it through various small distractions. When I first lit it up there was an unpleasant flavor that I first thought could have a cavendish or something. That disappeared once it got going, and it was pretty tasty after that. This blend is a soothing sweet that just gets better with some “warm” flavors that keep things interesting.

Overall the first smoke got me pumped to smoke more, but business travel got in the way. I originally was thinking it was some one of mythical red virginias, but the cut of the ribbon didn’t seem right.

Today I had more in a clay. I don’t have much experience with burleys. Every time I smoke a Burley based blend, I am back at a jiminks review and am trying to force these nutty, earthy, molasses-y flavors out and end up not enjoying the smoke.

In today’s clay I feel like I was getting a lot of sweet molasses and maybe some chocolate. I am going to guess Edgeworth ready rub... how wrong am I?
Sample #2 is 2016 Peretti's Cuban Mixture.
There is definitely burley in there...
And Cavendish and Virginias.
So you got a lot of it.
However there is also Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland and Oriental/Turkish.
It's a mysteriously mild kitchen-sink sorta blend and It's so well balanced that no one would ever guess all that goes into it.
I love the stuff.

Last edited:

Kamkiel

Sample #2 is 2016 Peretti's Cuban Mixture.
There is definitely burley in there...
And Cavendish and Virginias.
So you got a lot of it.
However there is also Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland and Oriental/Turkish.
It's a mysteriously mild kitchen-sink sorta blend and It's so well balanced that no one would ever guess all that goes into it.
I love the stuff.
I am surprised with how many different tobaccos are in this. Latakia never crossed my mind while smoking it. I will spend more time dissecting this blend a smoke at a time. Definitely going to have to make a purchase.

Kamkiel

Sample 3

Nice chunky bits of tobacco. I believe I have seen and smoked this before. A while back I had bought some OTC pouches of SWR and Velvet. SWR was one that I said I would buy again, but never did. After looking and smoking a pipe of sample 3 today, I feel that I can say with a certain amount of confidence that it is SWR.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Sample 3

Nice chunky bits of tobacco. I believe I have seen and smoked this before. A while back I had bought some OTC pouches of SWR and Velvet. SWR was one that I said I would buy again, but never did. After looking and smoking a pipe of sample 3 today, I feel that I can say with a certain amount of confidence that it is SWR.
Sample #3 is 2015 Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut.
I smoke a lot of this one - the chocolate/vanilla, rum, coumarin-type casing is very unusual. It's been a long time since I've smoked SWR but it sounds like I need to revisit it.