What's new

Blind Sample Reviews

Kamkiel

Sample #3 is 2015 Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut.
I smoke a lot of this one - the chocolate/vanilla, rum, coumarin-type casing is very unusual. It's been a long time since I've smoked SWR but it sounds like I need to revisit it.
It is really good. My palette needs some work for sure. I don’t even know what coumarin is. So far this Blind Sample run has been a lesson in what my next purchase is going towards. Most of my cellar is filled with readily available tobaccos from CD.

I smoked some of more of sample 3 on the way to work today, and it is much more complex than I gave it credit. There is a nice sweetness that sits on top of the Burleys. It really feels like there are physical layers separating the flavors.... of that makes sense.

WalkinStick

May actually be The Devil
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Alright, I want to know what 4B was @davidbeinct

I’ve just been codger scooping it into the Notow and really enjoying it. Lights easily, stays lit without even a thought. Barbecuey sweetness, not like Latakia, more like caramelized barbecue sauce. Nice tingly snork so I think it’s got some KY in it. Some tang and a little bit of funk, so maybe perique too. I have no idea.

It’s tasty and I’m almost positive I’ve had it before. I may even have some cellared.

What is it?

Edit: asked Mrs. Stick what it smells like and she said “Not terrible. Pipey”

Last edited:
Alright, I want to know what 4B was @davidbeinct

I’ve just been codger scooping it into the Notow and really enjoying it. Lights easily, stays lit without even a thought. Barbecuey sweetness, not like Latakia, more like caramelized barbecue sauce. Nice tingly snork so I think it’s got some KY in it. Some tang and a little bit of funk, so maybe perique too. I have no idea.

It’s tasty and I’m almost positive I’ve had it before. I may even have some cellared.

What is it?

Edit: asked Mrs. Stick what it smells like and she said “Not terrible. Pipey”
That is GL Pease Barbary Coast. Va Bur Per with a kiss of brandy. I always think of it as an artisanal codger blend so codger scooping is most appropriate. Loaded in a huge BST it’ll smolder through two full episodes of The Walking Dead.

WalkinStick

May actually be The Devil
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
That is GL Pease Barbary Coast. Va Bur Per with a kiss of brandy. I always think of it as an artisanal codger blend so codger scooping is most appropriate. Loaded in a huge BST it’ll smolder through two full episodes of The Walking Dead.
Good to know. I definitely enjoyed it, and the smell didn’t get a single complaint. “Pipey” is much better than “What the fiddle sticks is that, it smells like a burning funeral home?!”

I got a solid hour and a half out of that big Notow before I realized I was trying to relight ash.

Kamkiel

So I have taken some time with sample 4 after biffing on 2 and 3. Smoked in a couple of different sized pipes, I feel a wider bowl really allowed me to get more of the flavors. When I was still in China, a friend sent me a bunch of Frog Morton samples, and this blend feels pretty close to some of those.

I am pretty sure I am smoking a Virginia Latakia with a topping. I am no whiskey connoisseur however I kinda feel like this is what it is tipped with. It does tie the blend together getting sweetened up by the va and spiced by the lat. I am not sure that I would purchase it (even if it was readily available), but I can see why it is popular.

My guess is Frog Morton’s. Please tell me how wrong I am.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
So I have taken some time with sample 4 after biffing on 2 and 3. Smoked in a couple of different sized pipes, I feel a wider bowl really allowed me to get more of the flavors. When I was still in China, a friend sent me a bunch of Frog Morton samples, and this blend feels pretty close to some of those.

I am pretty sure I am smoking a Virginia Latakia with a topping. I am no whiskey connoisseur however I kinda feel like this is what it is tipped with. It does tie the blend together getting sweetened up by the va and spiced by the lat. I am not sure that I would purchase it (even if it was readily available), but I can see why it is popular.

My guess is Frog Morton’s. Please tell me how wrong I am.
Sample #4 is 2015 Pipeworks & Wilke #10.
Sadly this blend was discontinued after Carole retired but it is one of my all time favorite easy English smokes. No whiskey or other notable topping is present but it's pretty mild so any ghost in a pipe will shine right on through.

So nope it's not quite Frog but it is a light English and it's every bit as unobtainable;-)
FWIW I consider #10 "Oriental forward."

Last edited:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Crap! I am sucking it up. I really appreciate samples from blenders I have never smoked from. Sample 5 is a plug. I know I’ve got that part right at least.
Nah man you're doing great. No one really cares if you guess the right thing - it's about the journey not the destination.

And I really wasn't trying to be tricky; I smoke a lot of stuff from the smaller blending houses and only send off samples that I truly enjoy. So far you haven't gagged so we're good ;-)

Also YES I can confirm that Sample 5 is a Plug.
Nailed it.

Kamkiel

Well I still haven’t made it to sample 5, but while in Asia for the past two weeks I brought the “bonus” sample to try.

What an excellent flake. In the morning, afternoon, and evening it went along great with the all-you-can-drink espresso provided by the hotel (seriously , if you ever find yourself in Taipei stay at Les Suites on Chingcheng road... awesome boutique hotel).

The flakes were thin and neat and were nicely “browned”. When rubbing it out I even saw some of the Flake was almost gray in color. Lit with no fuss and burned all the way down no problems. The first bowl felt like a Jedi mind trick or something because I thought I was tasting some darker fruit almost strawberry flavor. The bowls afterwards didn’t repeat that effect. Always sweet but not overly sweet, I would get some honey over bread that reminded me of graham crackers. I could pick up where I left off, zone out without having to play catch-up, it was always there.

This was a real pleasant tobacco to have around. I brought Irish Flake, Gold Block, and some vanilla cult tobacco on the trip as well. With the exception of Gold Block, this flake was able to fit in no matter situation or time of day.

@Spillproof I really like this blend and would like to know what it is.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Well I still haven’t made it to sample 5, but while in Asia for the past two weeks I brought the “bonus” sample to try.

What an excellent flake. In the morning, afternoon, and evening it went along great with the all-you-can-drink espresso provided by the hotel (seriously , if you ever find yourself in Taipei stay at Les Suites on Chingcheng road... awesome boutique hotel).

The flakes were thin and neat and were nicely “browned”. When rubbing it out I even saw some of the Flake was almost gray in color. Lit with no fuss and burned all the way down no problems. The first bowl felt like a Jedi mind trick or something because I thought I was tasting some darker fruit almost strawberry flavor. The bowls afterwards didn’t repeat that effect. Always sweet but not overly sweet, I would get some honey over bread that reminded me of graham crackers. I could pick up where I left off, zone out without having to play catch-up, it was always there.

This was a real pleasant tobacco to have around. I brought Irish Flake, Gold Block, and some vanilla cult tobacco on the trip as well. With the exception of Gold Block, this flake was able to fit in no matter situation or time of day.

@Spillproof I really like this blend and would like to know what it is.
Excellent review Kamkiel and I am ridiculously pleased that you got strawberries. I did too! In your face @Sasquatch!

This is the one I have jokingly been referring to as "TBTSNBN" (The Blend That Shall Not Be Named) in the WAYS thread. Sas blew the lid off this gem a couple years ago and now everybody and their mother smokes it and is actively hoarding it - including me. Why? Because it's freaky-deaky good that's why.

The Bonus Sample is plain old commonly available Savinelli Brunello Flake.

now shhhh.
loose lips sink ships

Kamkiel

Excellent review Kamkiel and I am ridiculously pleased that you got strawberries. I did too! In your face @Sasquatch!

This is the one I have jokingly been referring to as "TBTSNBN" (The Blend That Shall Not Be Named) in the WAYS thread. Sas blew the lid off this gem a couple years ago and now everybody and their mother smokes it and is actively hoarding it - including me. Why? Because it's freaky-deaky good that's why.

The Bonus Sample is plain old commonly available Savinelli Brunello Flake.

now shhhh.
loose lips sink ships
On that first bowl I was thinking it could be BF because of the strawberry flavor. The only problem was that I have smoked a tin of this in the past and never once thought about strawberries. The first time I smoked this a couple of years ago I remember liking it, but also thought it was kind of bite-y.

When I go to smoke the other tins I have cellared away (because you everyone and their mothers are hoarding it) I will make sure to give it some extra drying time before smoking it. I am almost tempted to give start blindly smoking blends I already have available just to get a new perspective on the flavors. I can throw a bunch of samples in ziplock bags labeled 1-10, make sure to forget which blends are in which bags, and smoke’em.

I still have the #5 plug sample that needs to be reviewed, and will make sure to post my findings once finished with it.

On that first bowl I was thinking it could be BF because of the strawberry flavor. The only problem was that I have smoked a tin of this in the past and never once thought about strawberries. The first time I smoked this a couple of years ago I remember liking it, but also thought it was kind of bite-y.

When I go to smoke the other tins I have cellared away (because you everyone and their mothers are hoarding it) I will make sure to give it some extra drying time before smoking it. I am almost tempted to give start blindly smoking blends I already have available just to get a new perspective on the flavors. I can throw a bunch of samples in ziplock bags labeled 1-10, make sure to forget which blends are in which bags, and smoke’em.

I still have the #5 plug sample that needs to be reviewed, and will make sure to post my findings once finished with it.
You could have a friend keep the key. After you smoke them blind for awhile and get your impressions down retrieve the key.