Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Ok @Ozark Wizard here's #4:

Maddis 1

Maddis 2

Bag Notes:
Latakia! (overwhelmingly)
Very rough cut, possibly rastafarian tobacco.
"Nose to tail."

Initial Impressions:
Latakia!!! And some orientals, and some Virginia.

Overall Smokes:
First smoke was last night - long and relaxed and pensive. Second smoke I'm finishing now so I can pack for Chicago!

This is a Lat Bomb.
I cannot say whether this is a Balkan or an English blend but I'm leaning toward English because the orientals are a relatively minor player (way behind the latakia). Very tasty. Not sweet - more raunchy than that - with all the typical English descriptors (Leather, peat, campfire smokiness, oak, tart...).
It starts off like a roaring fire, mellows out to a punchy "medium" blend toward the middle, and ends dark and brooding. Pretty touchy in the dregs like many Balkans. The snork is very pleasant and never sears. The nicotine is relatively mild.

It's a bit like several Pease blends - Odyssey comes to mind but with less orientals. Pirate Kake also comes to mind (again less orientals though). BlackHouse too. And it reminds me of PS Proper English in a lot of ways, particularly the sharper notes.

The rough cut makes me think it's a Pease blend but I really don't have a clue. I'd say this is a very high quality blend and it could even be considered a Gold Standard for the deep end of the English/Balkan pool. My favorite so far.

What is it?

Last edited:

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
That's a great description! I'm sure many would say it's pretty much an average rough cut English, but this stuff I need a moderately raised blood/alcohol level to "get". Another Tsuge tobacco from the 'God' series, this one called "Ryugin" (The Dragon)

(no kidding)

A remarkably coarse cut VaPer mixed with obscene amounts of Latakia. Imagine hand chopping salad chunks. My goodness..... Still, like I said, after a raucous day or evening of libations and covortment, it provides a great smoke. Drives women, children and predators away. Kills parasites, blinds the judgemental, kills the weak. I bought it because it was a cool piece of tin art. I'm certain that the other tins will be given substantial time to age....

Great review! I promise the next three will be utterly delightful. It'll make the trip worth while!:thumb-yello:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
That's a great description! I'm sure many would say it's pretty much an average rough cut English, but this stuff I need a moderately raised blood/alcohol level to "get". Another Tsuge tobacco from the 'God' series, this one called "Ryugin" (The Dragon)

(no kidding)

A remarkably coarse cut VaPer mixed with obscene amounts of Latakia. Imagine hand chopping salad chunks. My goodness..... Still, like I said, after a raucous day or evening of libations and covortment, it provides a great smoke. Drives women, children and predators away. Kills parasites, blinds the judgemental, kills the weak. I bought it because it was a cool piece of tin art. I'm certain that the other tins will be given substantial time to age....

Great review! I promise the next three will be utterly delightful. It'll make the trip worth while!:thumb-yello:
Well another case of me missing the perique and adding orientals but I guess That's The Way It Goes.

Really tasty stuff. I guess the perique mostly shows it's head at the end and I was blaming it on an oriental collapse.

I just took a sneak smell of #5 and may get into it tonight and tomorrow. We shall see. #6 smells heavenly.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Hopefully those other samples haven't dried out yet!:puffy:
Nah I jarred them up and they're fine.
I smoked a third bowl of #5 this morning and it was milder than I recalled, or I really did cook all my tastebuds in Chicago. I'll smoke a bit more this afternoon and post something asap.

Basically it's a vanilla/custard aromatic.

Last edited:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
There is a lot of vanilla I sense in it as well, but a hint of cherry, ever so slight too..

Hints?

It's a commemorative blend issed by a pipe manufacturerand the only blend I'm aware of that was tinned. I'm sure that gave it away....
It doesn't give it away to me at all, it's another head bender! A commemorative vanilla/cherry blend from a Pipe Manufacturer and it's the only thing they've ever tinned? Hmmm... Fiddlesticks

Well, here's my review:

Bag Notes:
Vanilla custard and cherry.
Smells like 1Q mixed with Middleton's Cherry Blend

Pipes Used:
Meerschaum Falcon (2x)
Clay
MM Cob

Prep:
10-30 minutes of day time, then fill and go.

Initial Impressions:
Tastes like steamy vanilla and a splash of cherry, not much tobacco flavor initially.

Overall Smokes:
Yep, this is a vanilla/cherry aromatic.
Probably a couple kinds of Cavendish, some Virginia, and maybe a splash of burley.

I'd say I enjoyed it least in the meerschaum where I was getting a bit of a plastic flavor and a whole lot of steam. I enjoyed it the most after Ozark gave me the cherry "hint" and I switched to a vanilla/cherry ghosted cob.

Some of my actual notes-
Vanilla and...blueberry? berry? cherry?
Sweet steam
Lots of PG and a slight plastic flavor
Nice room note
1Q? RLP6?
Looks like a P&W aro (*but it's not)
lemony and creamy
nougat?
rum?
sweet custard with cherry pie filling
not much of the tobacco comes through
a little wood
won't bite
very pleasant snork
Yadda yadda.

So in summary, it's a Lot like 1Q mixed with Middelton's Cherry. No idea who's name is on it but I'm guessing it's of Sutliff origin. This particular type of aromatic is a bit outside of my comfort zone - but I smoked 5 bowls of it ;-)

It doesn't give it away to me at all, it's another head bender! A commemorative vanilla/cherry blend from a Pipe Manufacturer and it's the only thing they've ever tinned? Hmmm... Fiddlesticks

Well, here's my review:

Bag Notes:
Vanilla custard and cherry.
Smells like 1Q mixed with Middleton's Cherry Blend

Pipes Used:
Meerschaum Falcon (2x)
Clay
MM Cob

Prep:
10-30 minutes of day time, then fill and go.

Initial Impressions:
Tastes like steamy vanilla and a splash of cherry, not much tobacco flavor initially.

Overall Smokes:
Yep, this is a vanilla/cherry aromatic.
Probably a couple kinds of Cavendish, some Virginia, and maybe a splash of burley.

I'd say I enjoyed it least in the meerschaum where I was getting a bit of a plastic flavor and a whole lot of steam. I enjoyed it the most after Ozark gave me the cherry "hint" and I switched to a vanilla/cherry ghosted cob.

Some of my actual notes-
Vanilla and...blueberry? berry? cherry?
Sweet steam
Lots of PG and a slight plastic flavor
Nice room note
1Q? RLP6?
Looks like a P&W aro (*but it's not)
lemony and creamy
nougat?
rum?
sweet custard with cherry pie filling
not much of the tobacco comes through
a little wood
won't bite
very pleasant snork
Yadda yadda.

So in summary, it's a Lot like 1Q mixed with Middelton's Cherry. No idea who's name is on it but I'm guessing it's of Sutliff origin. This particular type of aromatic is a bit outside of my comfort zone - but I smoked 5 bowls of it ;-)
Please please please be original Three Nuns rubbed out to camouflage it’s true identity.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Great review! Yup, I got the same impressions from it. The tobaccos were overwhelmed by the toppings. Tobacco Reviews describes it thusly:

"What's more appropriate than an iconic American company celebrating Independence Day? Missouri Meerschaum proudly releases their first limited edition blend for Independence Day 2015. This pleasant blend of bright, zesty Virginias, smooth black cavendish and cool smoking burleys is enhanced with notes of fruit, nuts, vanilla and a touch of amaretto. This blend will be perfect to enjoy on the Fourth of July in the sunshine in your favorite corn cob pipe, as the flavor has been optimized for use in a Missouri Meerschaum cob.
Notes: Independence Day 2015 has been limited to 1,776 tins, so get yours while they're still available."

The hint of this offering being the only tinned product is literal. The other four blends they make are presented in pouches. It is Missouri Meerschaum's Independence Day 2015!

Pretty good taster there sir!

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Great review! Yup, I got the same impressions from it. The tobaccos were overwhelmed by the toppings. Tobacco Reviews describes it thusly:

"What's more appropriate than an iconic American company celebrating Independence Day? Missouri Meerschaum proudly releases their first limited edition blend for Independence Day 2015. This pleasant blend of bright, zesty Virginias, smooth black cavendish and cool smoking burleys is enhanced with notes of fruit, nuts, vanilla and a touch of amaretto. This blend will be perfect to enjoy on the Fourth of July in the sunshine in your favorite corn cob pipe, as the flavor has been optimized for use in a Missouri Meerschaum cob.
Notes: Independence Day 2015 has been limited to 1,776 tins, so get yours while they're still available."

The hint of this offering being the only tinned product is literal. The other four blends they make are presented in pouches. It is Missouri Meerschaum's Independence Day 2015!

Pretty good taster there sir!
Ah, very cool.
I hadn't smoked any of the MM blends and thought they only used pouches. Thanks for that.

Now onto the flakes!