What's new

Blind Sample Reviews

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Sample #6 from @OzarkWizard

Bag Notes:
Although separated immediately from the other blends and jarred, the bag smelled like cherry and vanilla from the other samples. So jar notes... Well it smells like dark earthy tobacco with a splash of fruit, possibly plum. Possibly fig. And a slight "perique" (spicy) twang. Very thin dark brown/mottled flakes, and very moist.

Prep:
I tried a few different things and got very different results. First bowl was completely rubbed out. Second bowl was mostly folded flake. Third bowl was a combination of RR and flake. Fourth bowl was cube cut with a little RR.

Pipes Used:
Vermont Freehand NorseDog (2x)
Basil Meadows Double Reverse Calabash Cob
BST Bulldog

Overall smokes:
This depended a lot on preparation, and the pipe used.

The first bowl I smoked was RR in the NorseDog and it was very mild initially, seemingly a BurVaPer (in that order). Natural tobacco flavors, cardboard, earthy & dark, like LGF without the topping. Mild snork. Not sweet.

Second bowl was folded flake in the Basil cob (which has mostly smoked burley). Some of the same flavors as above but more molasses/treacle sweetness, and more spice and figs. More like stonehaven without the Port wine, or watered down escudo.

Third bowl was in a Virginia dedicated BST and this was a game changer. At this point its smoking like a VaPer, light on the Perique (comparable to Cabbie's, not Escudo). Virginias are African (muted and middle of the road) and the Perique oscillates between absent and barely present. I wonder if what I'm calling perique is actually spice from me overdrawing; I could easily convince myself it's a splash or Malawian burley.

Final bowl was back to the NorseDog.
Now I'm fairly sure this is a VaPer similar to Escudo, but with less sweetness and a fraction of the perique. Hardly ramps up toward the end and not much Va punch.

Tasting notes:
Dark fruit, spice and figs, creamy, tea-like sweetness, natural tobacco, mushrooms, marshmallow, bread, dark & dirty, slight floral notes particularly toward the end, pleasant & easy, no bite, snork is mildly tingly, nicotine is medium.

So what is it?
I dunno but I'm guessing it's and SG Blend, and it's fresh. It's been a decade since I smoked St.James but this could be it. I could also believe it's just an unscented brown flake and I made up everything else.

Last edited:

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
My key is home. I know what I sent but I’m not 100% on the order.
No worries David. It’s been absolutely flooding for days straight so I may not have a chance to rip into them until the weekend.

@Spillproof this may be a good time for me to say that David and I are probably going to be at this for quite a while. I don’t get much time to actually pay attention to a pipe during the week and I know he’s busy as well. If somebody else wants to run right along side us, have at it. It’ll probably take us two months to wrap up.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Sample #6 from @OzarkWizard

Bag Notes:
Although separated immediately from the other blends and jarred, the bag smelled like cherry and vanilla from the other samples. So jar notes... Well it smells like dark earthy tobacco with a splash of fruit, possibly plum. Possibly fig. And a slight "perique" (spicy) twang. Very thin dark brown/mottled flakes, and very moist.

Prep:
I tried a few different things and got very different results. First bowl was completely rubbed out. Second bowl was mostly folded flake. Third bowl was a combination of RR and flake. Fourth bowl was cube cut with a little RR.

Pipes Used:
Vermont Freehand NorseDog (2x)
Basil Meadows Double Reverse Calabash Cob
BST Bulldog

Overall smokes:
This depended a lot on preparation, and the pipe used.

The first bowl I smoked was RR in the NorseDog and it was very mild initially, seemingly a BurVaPer (in that order). Natural tobacco flavors, cardboard, earthy & dark, like LGF without the topping. Mild snork. Not sweet.

Second bowl was folded flake in the Basil cob (which has mostly smoked burley). Some of the same flavors as above but more molasses/treacle sweetness, and more spice and figs. More like stonehaven without the Port wine, or watered down escudo.

Third bowl was in a Virginia dedicated BST and this was a game changer. At this point its smoking like a VaPer, light on the Perique (comparable to Cabbie's, not Escudo). Virginias are African (muted and middle of the road) and the Perique oscillates between absent and barely present. I wonder if what I'm calling perique is actually spice from me overdrawing; I could easily convince myself it's a splash or Malawian burley.

Final bowl was back to the NorseDog.
Now I'm fairly sure this is a VaPer similar to Escudo, but with less sweetness and a fraction of the perique. Hardly ramps up toward the end and not much Va punch.

Tasting notes:
Dark fruit, spice and figs, creamy, tea-like sweetness, natural tobacco, mushrooms, marshmallow, bread, dark & dirty, slight floral notes particularly toward the end, pleasant & easy, no bite, snork is mildly tingly, nicotine is medium.

So what is it?
I dunno but I'm guessing it's and SG Blend, and it's fresh. It's been a decade since I smoked St.James but this could be it. I could also believe it's just an unscented brown flake and I made up everything else.
Well, I had hoped that double bagging everything would keep it from getting contaminated by the others, but I guess not......

Great review, and you nailed it with one exception. That Sam Gawith St. James Flake is from 2007. I'm guessing that the bloom rubbed off in transit, it had glorious chrystals! I've not known SG to heavily Perique anything, at least not as much as McClelland's St James Woods.....

Excellent!!!:appl:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Well, I had hoped that double bagging everything would keep it from getting contaminated by the others, but I guess not......

Great review, and you nailed it with one exception. That Sam Gawith St. James Flake is from 2007. I'm guessing that the bloom rubbed off in transit, it had glorious chrystals! I've not known SG to heavily Perique anything, at least not as much as McClelland's St James Woods.....

Excellent!!!:appl:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut :)
Seriously the cherry/vanilla bag note was just extra fun (more head scratching). When I smoked this stuff a decade ago I thought "Well it's not Escudo" (my VaPer reference). Now I'm thinking "hey maybe there Is an All Day VaPer."

Did you ever smoke Sample #5 from me?

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
I lied! I’m smoking Blind Sample #1 right now and hoping it is what I think it is. My suspicion has been halfass confirmed because Mrs. Stick said it smelled familiar. First run is in a Maddis billiard.

Here’s a different pic from the WAYS thread because this thread deserves one 02C1055D-E844-47B3-8B91-E867166F9EF1.jpeg

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I lied! I’m smoking Blind Sample #1 right now and hoping it is what I think it is. My suspicion has been halfass confirmed because Mrs. Stick said it smelled familiar. First run is in a Maddis billiard.

Here’s a different pic from the WAYS thread because this thread deserves one View attachment 2644
"You really should get yourself a decent set-up "
Jpberg circa 2014.