Blind Sample Reviews

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Okay. Got sidetracked. First bowl was in a Dutch clay.

Sample number 1 is a busy blend! Lots going on. I'm going to guess a Burley base. There's a lot of earth, musty sweetness throughout the bowl. It's got a rounded 'feel' to the smoke that seems to keep the Burley dryness in check. A little hint of smoke sometimes pops up, like Kentucky or (gasp) Latakia, but barely any if there is any. I'm getting some Virginia action too, maybe a flu cured bright leaf, which lends some crisp sweetness to the experience.

But there's this zing to it. I can't figure out how to explain it, like a zest. It seems to subdue the tobaccos enough that it's hard to pick out each component's character.

Second bowl I used a cob I run burleys through. It really made the blend sing. I think the ghost called out Peretti Burley. Didn't notice any smokiness and hardly noticed the Virginia. But that zing is still there..... The last time I had something like this was when I smoked some Cuban Mixture by Peretti.

So that'll be my guess. Is it Cuban Mixture?

DrumsAndBeer

Well you’re on track with it being primarily a burley mixture, and excellent guess too. Blend #1 is Lane Limited Ready Rubbed.

You’ll have to forgive my tardiness in starting these blind reviews. I have a tremendously demanding work week this week. I’ll be settling into the blends you sent this weekend for sure. So feel free to take your time, or at least not make me look bad. Hahaha. ;)

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
Haha! Guess I was listening to more than one ghost! I picked up all kinds of flavours going on. It's certainly one of the brightest Burley blends I've had. Never tried Lane's RR before. Very nice, thanks!:thumb-yello:
Nice review Ozzie. You have a unique perspective considering your knowledge of individual component tobacco's so I enjoy hearing (reading?) you suss them out.

Mpugh777

Nice review Ozzie. You have a unique perspective considering your knowledge of individual component tobacco's so I enjoy hearing (reading?) you suss them out.
It’s wild isn’t it? I can basically pick out VAs, and I can pick out Latakia in a Lat Bomb, but various types of orientals (or even an oriental for that fact) is basically out of my range. I need to figure it out.

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
It’s wild isn’t it? I can basically pick out VAs, and I can pick out Latakia in a Lat Bomb, but various types of orientals (or even an oriental for that fact) is basically out of my range. I need to figure it out.
I'd bet it comes with smoking decent amounts of each tobacco separately. Which doesn't sound like tall that pleasurable of an undertaking. Nonetheless, yes - it is wild that one can be so capable of tasting the nuances of a tobacco to call out it's contribution to a blend...

JustScott

Perique is a funny critter. It depends on the actual strain of tobacco. It depends on how it's handled. It even depends on the barrel it's pressed in. Lastly, it depends on how long it's held, ambient temperature, and and and....
This is exactly why smoking a pipe is so enjoyable to me. There are so many variables that you get non-figuratively endless variation. Even with the same blend in the same pipe, two bowls can be completely different. It would be interesting to send a group of blind review samples that are actually the same thing. One of flakes, one broken flake, one fully rubbed out, one with a couple years, etc. but the same blend. Some people on here would know pretty quickly, no doubt. I wish I felt ANY certainty that I would be one of them, but I don't, lol...

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
This is exactly why smoking a pipe is so enjoyable to me. There are so many variables that you get non-figuratively endless variation. Even with the same blend in the same pipe, two bowls can be completely different. It would be interesting to send a group of blind review samples that are actually the same thing. One of flakes, one broken flake, one fully rubbed out, one with a couple years, etc. but the same blend. Some people on here would know pretty quickly, no doubt. I wish I felt ANY certainty that I would be one of them, but I don't, lol...
Shh

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Someone sent me Carter Hall for a Blind Review.
I said it tasted like "fancy Carter Hall."
The only thing fancy about it was the reviewer.

Adam Bybee

Sales
Blind Sample #3 from @millarddj

First off, I apologize for my tardiness in posting this review. The past week or so has proven to be one of the most chaotic in recent memory. Anywho,

BS3.jpg

Appearance: The cut is…odd, it features bits of very disparate color and shape, even bits of flake. A pretty broad spectrum of blonde to dark brown bits.

Bag Note: Potourri, blueberrys and a certain mustiness.

Initial Impressions: The top note is distinct and a bit unusual, reminds me of something lakelandy. Because the cut contains bits of flake and random ribbons it seems like a blend either produced from finished components, or a rubbed out flake or plug. Intriguing.

Smoking:

First bowl in an Alex Hasty Pot

Immediate notes are sour/savory, incense, roasted veggies, champhor, creosote. Mostly latakia things. Whatever the topping is was almost completely absent, covered up by that sour savoriness. Though occasionally on the finish and sometimes on the retrohale I could get some floral and a slight alcohol perhaps. This reminds me a little bit of Esoterica Pembroke, but not quite. The finish also has a tiny bit of caramel sweetness.

After another morning and a relight this blend is starting to hit its stride for me. The smoke has backed off just enough to allow some other flavors to play. I'm getting some fresh baked whole wheat bread and menthol and every once in a while a sweeter, fruitier flavor that I'm guessing is whatever the topping was. It strikes as something tart and alcoholic, like wine or brandy? The earth and smoke is present that whole time but also balanced by that slight juicy fruit and sweetness in the finish.

The last part of the bowl tasted like a decent medium english blend. Good mix of sour, sweet, salty. Creamy smooth, no spice in mouth, no notable nicotine for me. This blend is a little unusual in that it gets more balanced as it goes down and it tastes better as it burns hotter.

Second bowl in a Meer Taster pipe

Left this one a little more moist.

WOW, 180 degree difference from the first bowl. This is immediately soft, creamy, fruity with a little bit of funk and savory underneath and just the barest whisp of smoke. Potpurri and blueberry. The fruity, musty finish lasts a long time and is very enjoyable.

The second half of the bowl is even sweeter and foodier. Fruit loops, graham cracker, minty, toasted marshmallow. Some rich fermented autumnal notes at times. Totally different than the first bowl but still enough of a sour savory character in the aftertaste to make me think of some kind of oriental base, but maybe not.

The end of this bowl was a little bit spicy right at the end, but in a throat catchy way. So that points maybe to burley or dark fired perhaps? Huh. A very enjoyable bowl though. Easy to smoke and quite complex and tasty.

Conclusions:

This one broke my brain a little bit. If I was to guess what this blend is based on bowl number 1, I would say that this is a pretty decent medium English blend with a floofy topping of some kind and perhaps a bit of burley. If I was guessing based on the second blend I would say that it’s a more traditional burley and Virginia blend with a pretty big powerful topping. It does fit some descriptions that I've heard of things like Peterson's Perfect Plug, but the smell coming out of the bag is so lakelandy that it's hard to ignore. So....I'm guessing that this was a flake or a plug that was rubbed out and that its from the UK and contains some kind of smoked tobacoo but I'm not confident even in that. So, put my out of my misery, what is it?

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Blind Sample #3 from @millarddj

First off, I apologize for my tardiness in posting this review. The past week or so has proven to be one of the most chaotic in recent memory. Anywho,

View attachment 38989

Appearance: The cut is…odd, it features bits of very disparate color and shape, even bits of flake. A pretty broad spectrum of blonde to dark brown bits.

Bag Note: Potourri, blueberrys and a certain mustiness.

Initial Impressions: The top note is distinct and a bit unusual, reminds me of something lakelandy. Because the cut contains bits of flake and random ribbons it seems like a blend either produced from finished components, or a rubbed out flake or plug. Intriguing.

Smoking:

First bowl in an Alex Hasty Pot

Immediate notes are sour/savory, incense, roasted veggies, champhor, creosote. Mostly latakia things. Whatever the topping is was almost completely absent, covered up by that sour savoriness. Though occasionally on the finish and sometimes on the retrohale I could get some floral and a slight alcohol perhaps. This reminds me a little bit of Esoterica Pembroke, but not quite. The finish also has a tiny bit of caramel sweetness.

After another morning and a relight this blend is starting to hit its stride for me. The smoke has backed off just enough to allow some other flavors to play. I'm getting some fresh baked whole wheat bread and menthol and every once in a while a sweeter, fruitier flavor that I'm guessing is whatever the topping was. It strikes as something tart and alcoholic, like wine or brandy? The earth and smoke is present that whole time but also balanced by that slight juicy fruit and sweetness in the finish.

The last part of the bowl tasted like a decent medium english blend. Good mix of sour, sweet, salty. Creamy smooth, no spice in mouth, no notable nicotine for me. This blend is a little unusual in that it gets more balanced as it goes down and it tastes better as it burns hotter.

Second bowl in a Meer Taster pipe

Left this one a little more moist.

WOW, 180 degree difference from the first bowl. This is immediately soft, creamy, fruity with a little bit of funk and savory underneath and just the barest whisp of smoke. Potpurri and blueberry. The fruity, musty finish lasts a long time and is very enjoyable.

The second half of the bowl is even sweeter and foodier. Fruit loops, graham cracker, minty, toasted marshmallow. Some rich fermented autumnal notes at times. Totally different than the first bowl but still enough of a sour savory character in the aftertaste to make me think of some kind of oriental base, but maybe not.

The end of this bowl was a little bit spicy right at the end, but in a throat catchy way. So that points maybe to burley or dark fired perhaps? Huh. A very enjoyable bowl though. Easy to smoke and quite complex and tasty.

Conclusions:

This one broke my brain a little bit. If I was to guess what this blend is based on bowl number 1, I would say that this is a pretty decent medium English blend with a floofy topping of some kind and perhaps a bit of burley. If I was guessing based on the second blend I would say that it’s a more traditional burley and Virginia blend with a pretty big powerful topping. It does fit some descriptions that I've heard of things like Peterson's Perfect Plug, but the smell coming out of the bag is so lakelandy that it's hard to ignore. So....I'm guessing that this was a flake or a plug that was rubbed out and that its from the UK and contains some kind of smoked tobacoo but I'm not confident even in that. So, put my out of my misery, what is it?
Almost sounds like Sillem's Black.