Blind Sample Reviews

ClickKlick

I'm chuffed for time and don't want to keep you holding your breath any longer. #4 was Greg Pease's favorite and one of my top 5 tobaccos ever created. I'm sorry I couldn't spare more bowls for you to visit with. Your notes are pretty spot on. The orientals in this one are unmatched and it does indeed contain Syrian.

1974 A Garfinkel's Orient Express Special Mixture No 11
IMG_20200205_183327.jpg
IMG_20200205_183336.jpg

Mpugh777

I'm chuffed for time and don't want to keep you holding your breath any longer. #4 was Greg Pease's favorite and one of my top 5 tobaccos ever created. I'm sorry I couldn't spare more bowls for you to visit with. Your notes are pretty spot on. The orientals in this one are unmatched and it does indeed contain Syrian.

1974 A Garfinkel's Orient Express Special Mixture No 11
View attachment 52871
View attachment 52872
I’m super excited that you shared that with me.
Not only is it a tremendous blend, but that’s my birth year! Lol. That’s the oldest thing I have ever smoked. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ClickKlick

In ClickKlick's voice:
"#4 was Balkan Sobraine. Interesting story this was the last remaining tin in a B&M reduced to rubble after the bombing of London. It was found by Alred Dunhill himself and he presented the tin to Winston Churchill, who promptly tossed it aside in favor of his standby cigars. Later it was was discovered by his wife and given to Queen Elizabeth, who isn't even a piper and had absolutely no use for it. Some years later her ne'er do well grandchildren found it in an attic truck at Balmoral Castle and absconded with it. I scored it off Ebay and shortly after that certain junior members of the royal family "opted to step back from Royal life.".

Coincidence?
This had me rolling! All true too, of course!

True story is I received two tins of this blend in a trade. I made the guy a pipe in return. Great friend he's become as a result of our transaction. But your summary is a bit more exciting!

ClickKlick

The bar has been set fellas. Call @ClickKlick for all your aged tobacco needs. Great show!!
I know nothing. These samples were sent via a guy in India trying to sell me the blood of his friend's Nigerian Prince for 3 bones and a box of jawbreakers. I struck a friendship up with this fellow, naturally, and since I helped him out he agreed to send the samples to @Mpugh777 in my name.

My cellar consists of strictly Mixture 79, Borkum Riff, and Capt Black Grape. I don't care what the records show, all photos have been doctored otherwise.

Mpugh777

I know nothing. These samples were sent via a guy in India trying to sell me the blood of his friend's Nigerian Prince for 3 bones and a box of jawbreakers. I struck a friendship up with this fellow, naturally, and since I helped him out he agreed to send the samples to @Mpugh777 in my name.

My cellar consists of strictly Mixture 79, Borkum Riff, and Capt Black Grape. I don't care what the records show, all photos have been doctored otherwise.
Ahhh, now it makes sense why there was a recipe for gulab jamun and mango lassi in the envelope.

DannoH

Patron
I thought it might be fun to add a few cents worth from my end, too.

Last night, the Non-Pipe Club Pipe Club, which consists of @Sasquatch, @Green Drake, myself, and one other fellow who is forum averse, met for an evening of libations and carp-slinging. Given the fun in this thread, I thought it would be interesting to have a pipe night based around blind tasting, so we each brought a blend to share and wax lyrical over. As it turns out, none of us should ever quit doing whatever it is that someone regularly pays us to do and hang out our shingles as 'super tasters'. Naturally, we went 0 for 4.

I brought a sample of Capstan Blue from 2013, which the gang postulated must certainly contain a healthy dose of perique. I'm not sure the collective even identified which continent the stuff hails from. Okay, then.

Sample 2 was none other than a freshly-prised open tin of Orlick-production Royal Yacht, which none of us guessed, and which chapped me more than a little. I probably have more tins of RY than any other blend, and I enjoy it on the regular. I had no idea what this stuff was, and I have been accused of being one of those 'serious pipe smoker types'. Mortifying.

Sample 3 gave us some hope, 'cause we at least recognized the blender: the mighty McClelland. I thought it was a red and orange virginia, no perique, yes, certainly a straight virginia. The other fellows mumbled noncommittal guesses, except to say it was damned fine stuff, whatever it might be. @Green Drake let us know it was Bufflehead's King Eider, which had reposed in a tin since 2004, a va/per produced by McC, and an exceptional one at that. At least we know good stuff when we taste it, right? Right?? Oy.

Sample four was courtesy of @Sasquatch, and it was mean, stinky stuff, like Squadron Leader's recently-out-of-prison cousin. The best we could do was make comparisons to benchmark oriental blends such as Presbyterian or McConnell Original Oriental. Yeah... nope. We also missed the perique, again. I think Todd very much enjoyed our struggles with well-rested Dan Tobacco Midnight Ride. Good effort, fellahs!

So, a ridiculously good evening, and very informative. Between the four of us, there was over 80 years of collective pipe time represented, beyond the odd observations about the tendency of a certain leaf to act in a certain way, you'd never have known. I am away with the sense that any sort of definitive and repeatable grasp of such things is akin to tilting at windmills.

Carry on.