Blind Sample Reviews

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Felt ready for number two. Smells delicious, not going to ask for hints or try to guess the blend. Bet I could... Slightly sour, sweet, some Red, more Red, bit of Bright, dash or two Perique. All speculation. Haven't done more than get my hands and face all up in it. Silky sort of rough cut ribbons and dark granulated bits, likely Perique. A faint sweetness not unlike fermenting silage, bet it tastes like sweet and sour earth. Can't wait. Going to say Va/Per, Red heavy, reserved application of topping, maybe sugar and the littlest splash of cider vinegar, might be fairly fresh, couple years age.
I think you’ll enjoy this one, it is an unusual blend.
And certainly you are welcome to guess the blend if you want, I usually do try but with the last one I KNEW I didn’t know it.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Think there's Burley in here too. Hearth and Home does an OJK match?... need more time to evaluate.
I took a quick peak at the second sample you sent:

It looks like a brownie.
It smells like a boozy VaPer.
It feels... foreboading.

The thickness of the cakes should probably be a giveaway but I got nothing so far.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
Patron
Sample 1 from Spill:

A scent took me over upon opening the package, it was blind sample one. Very dark notes but not heavy, more stewed, like a reduction of sorts. Fermented Virginias, maybe some Red, no grassy or bright citrus notes, just a deep sort of woody subtle sweetness. I swear there's dark leaf in here, maybe not Kentucky, but definitely some form of Burley. A clearly defined nuttiness creeps out from a subdued pile freshly turned earth and rotting wood. Nose was so deep in that sample many times, intoxicating, caught a few pieces in my schnoz on more than one occasion.

Now this stuff really takes off once lit. Super thin broad cut slices of mostly intact flake, rub out easily to a cut not quite ribbon or shag, very nice to work with. Has to be Burley in there. Burns absolutely cool and consistently, start to finish, almost complexly monochromatic in it's ability to pull this off. Smokey but not intense, nutty/woody, slight dirtiness, light sweetness on the periphery. Consistent, every pull is as smooth, robust, cool, and pleasant as the first. This stuff is marvelous.

Aright, I already guessed but have recieved no hints, I tried. So here goes my blind assessment. It is a Va/Bur, it has age on it, and the slightest of toppings, maybe something on the molasses/treacle end but I couldn't pick it out individually. Everything is pretty well sublimated in this blend which makes ascertaining any single component difficult. I love this stuff. What is it?

Shall we do the reveal, Spill? You ready to know?
Who is this Thelonius? I’ve not seen him around these parts. Nice review, my man. I’ve never had Scottish Flake but the Cake is one of my favorites

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I smoked my first bowl of Sample #1 from @Thelonious monkfish.

Here's what a rubbed out piece of cake looks like:
20200319_141434.jpg
(though it looks darker by eye than by camera)

My initial guess that it was a boozy VaPer was off.
I smoked this in the same meer Falcon I used for the first bowl of Bourbon and I may have been catching a slight ghost- maybe- or it's just much sweeter than I thought it would be by eyeballing and smelling it. So far I'm thinking it's a Virginia > Burley > perique. It's a tasty blend, and it has some of that treacle funk. The first half is fairly carefree and easy. The second half had a little more bass but was still pleasant- and there was not a Perique bomb at the end (which is what I expected). Some metallic notes too.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Blind Sample #2 from @Thelonious monkfish:

Alright so I think the three pipe-type approach is paying off. Again I went with a meer Falcon, a cob, and a briar. In the meer I was sure I was tasting burley, and not a lot of perique. When I put it in a cob I ID'd it as a VaPer with barely a touch of burley. Then the Va-dedicated briar made me forget burley altogether.

Pouch smell:
Fermented tobacco, perique, plumb, cocoa, and booze - probably rum.

Appearance:
See my last post.
It's pretty. And moist.
Easily crumbled crumble cake (or is it Kake?)

Tasting Notes:
Sweeter than anticipated
Marshmallow, molasses, boozy sweet.
Then some spice.
Perique, Va's, maybe burley?
A little metallic flavor and orange zest
Some darkness but easily snorked
Fruity sponge cake
Might be catching a Bourbon ghost - strange old underlying boof.
Slightly plastic flavor- H&H?
Smell off the pipes is very nice- plumby
Perique is mellow but definitely some mouth tingle
Chocolate and rum
Occasional soapy notes.
Sweet & Sour - lemon Va's and Reds, maybe browns too?
H&H sweetness.
Not CBK at all, but definitely some overlap
No burley, this is a VaPer
Perique picks up at the end and gives itself away.
Cajun Kake? Chenet's Kake?
Nope... this is Anniversary Kake!

I am laying it on the line and pointing to the bleachers-
This is H&H Anniversary Kake.
I'm guessing it has a little age on it because it is better than I remembered it (last time smoked was probably 2013).

So... Is it Penzance?

Blind Sample #2 from @Thelonious monkfish:

Alright so I think the three pipe-type approach is paying off. Again I went with a meer Falcon, a cob, and a briar. In the meer I was sure I was tasting burley, and not a lot of perique. When I put it in a cob I ID'd it as a VaPer with barely a touch of burley. Then the Va-dedicated briar made me forget burley altogether.

Pouch smell:
Fermented tobacco, perique, plumb, cocoa, and booze - probably rum.

Appearance:
See my last post.
It's pretty. And moist.
Easily crumbled crumble cake (or is it Kake?)

Tasting Notes:
Sweeter than anticipated
Marshmallow, molasses, boozy sweet.
Then some spice.
Perique, Va's, maybe burley?
A little metallic flavor and orange zest
Some darkness but easily snorked
Fruity sponge cake
Might be catching a Bourbon ghost - strange old underlying boof.
Slightly plastic flavor- H&H?
Smell off the pipes is very nice- plumby
Perique is mellow but definitely some mouth tingle
Chocolate and rum
Occasional soapy notes.
Sweet & Sour - lemon Va's and Reds, maybe browns too?
H&H sweetness.
Not CBK at all, but definitely some overlap
No burley, this is a VaPer
Perique picks up at the end and gives itself away.
Cajun Kake? Chenet's Kake?
Nope... this is Anniversary Kake!

I am laying it on the line and pointing to the bleachers-
This is H&H Anniversary Kake.
I'm guessing it has a little age on it because it is better than I remembered it (last time smoked was probably 2013).

So... Is it Penzance?
Nice! Man, I was too easy, thought that might trip you up and make it harder... Yes, Anniversary Kake, yes, a little age, that sample was from 2010.

Still stuck on no. 2, going to attack it with a cob this time.

No. 2 is earthy, dirty, really dirty, slightly sour, little creamy, no rough edges, almost smokey, kind of musty....

Burley, maybe Red and Yellow Va, Perique, some Oriental? Latakia? Cavendish? The indicative mustiness I get from it is in every bowl. Probably a few bits of Latakia for the sour/smokey notes. Taste a topping of sorts... Anise? This stuff is all over the place but always the same... some type of rough Burley tempered with tangy Va's and a little Cavendish then rounded out with a smattering of Perique, Latakia, and maybe a/an Oriental(s)? I'm not going to pull this one out of thin air like Spill, maybe try it in a Morta...