Blind Sample Reviews

tfdickson

Patron
Blind Sample #2 from @Thelonious monkfish:

Alright so I think the three pipe-type approach is paying off. Again I went with a meer Falcon, a cob, and a briar. In the meer I was sure I was tasting burley, and not a lot of perique. When I put it in a cob I ID'd it as a VaPer with barely a touch of burley. Then the Va-dedicated briar made me forget burley altogether.

Pouch smell:
Fermented tobacco, perique, plumb, cocoa, and booze - probably rum.

Appearance:
See my last post.
It's pretty. And moist.
Easily crumbled crumble cake (or is it Kake?)

Tasting Notes:
Sweeter than anticipated
Marshmallow, molasses, boozy sweet.
Then some spice.
Perique, Va's, maybe burley?
A little metallic flavor and orange zest
Some darkness but easily snorked
Fruity sponge cake
Might be catching a Bourbon ghost - strange old underlying boof.
Slightly plastic flavor- H&H?
Smell off the pipes is very nice- plumby
Perique is mellow but definitely some mouth tingle
Chocolate and rum
Occasional soapy notes.
Sweet & Sour - lemon Va's and Reds, maybe browns too?
H&H sweetness.
Not CBK at all, but definitely some overlap
No burley, this is a VaPer
Perique picks up at the end and gives itself away.
Cajun Kake? Chenet's Kake?
Nope... this is Anniversary Kake!

I am laying it on the line and pointing to the bleachers-
This is H&H Anniversary Kake.
I'm guessing it has a little age on it because it is better than I remembered it (last time smoked was probably 2013).

So... Is it Penzance?
eh, tried to post a cool gif but can’t get it to work. Nicely done.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I'm smoking my first pipe of Sample #3 from @Thelonious monkfish.

Well it's McCelland. And it's a VaPer.
And there is some weird, funky, underlying flavor that is driving me completely insane. Is that orientals? Burley? Is my pipe ghosted? (it is not)

I went straight to briar as that's about all I use for McClellands. I'm confident that this is very well aged and that the weird floral note I'm picking up is just me chasing waterfalls. I'll skip the cob and go to meerschaum next.
Then a different briar.

There are a lot of McClelland VaPer flakes and I don't really know them all that well so this is going to require some guesswork. I'd say this one has a little more perique than my comfort zone- but I'm not complaining.

ETA:
Add the very end of the bowl I may have figured out the weird funk- Brown Virginias. Cigar notes off the pipe reminded me of Germain's Brown Flake - and then the flavor may have clicked.

Last edited:
Sample no. 2 from Spill

It's not C&D. Damn reminiscent of though sans the associated throat shredding. Dirty, musty, sour, smokey-ish. Guessing a base of Reds barely cut with Yellow, some roughish Burley, and a dusting of Latakia. The mustiness I originially assessed as Cavendish I now chalk up to the topping, something Anise, maybe Rum as well. Kind of dirty rag and pepper with anise flavor, sounds like something I'd fall for but the mouth coating mustiness muted the flavors halfway and took away from the experience. Going to say it's a body chemistry deal, what I could taste was pleasant, piquant, not rough but maybe a little aggressive, slight tang, touch of anise, then musty. A lot going on, not sure what this is. There's Latakia in it?
20200321_183504.jpg

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Sample no. 2 from Spill

It's not C&D. Damn reminiscent of though sans the associated throat shredding. Dirty, musty, sour, smokey-ish. Guessing a base of Reds barely cut with Yellow, some roughish Burley, and a dusting of Latakia. The mustiness I originially assessed as Cavendish I now chalk up to the topping, something Anise, maybe Rum as well. Kind of dirty rag and pepper with anise flavor, sounds like something I'd fall for but the mouth coating mustiness muted the flavors halfway and took away from the experience. Going to say it's a body chemistry deal, what I could taste was pleasant, piquant, not rough but maybe a little aggressive, slight tang, touch of anise, then musty. A lot going on, not sure what this is. There's Latakia in it?
View attachment 56726
Heh well crap.
Sorry this one was a stinker for you.
And doubly sorry because I genuinely forgot there's Cavendish in this blend. I probably should have known because errything is in this blend.
Including a touch of latakia ;-)

Want to know what it is so you can toss the rest and get on to something good?

Heh well crap.
Sorry this one was a stinker for you.
And doubly sorry because I genuinely forgot there's Cavendish in this blend. I probably should have known because errything is in this blend.
Including a touch of latakia ;-)

Want to know what it is so you can toss the rest and get on to something good?
I'll pick out the Cav and try again... yes, what is this is? I'm ready to move onward.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I'll pick out the Cav and try again... yes, what is this is? I'm ready to move onward.
Sample #2 is Peretti's Cuban Mix, 2016.
A "kitchen sink" blend containing (at least) 8 varieties of leaf, including the dreaded cavendish (so sorry!), orientals, and cigar leaf. I am sure that the cigar leaf and orientals didn't help with the Cavendish aversion. I screwed up.

Burley, Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

SouthBound

Bane of Termagants
Patron
I've been informed there is in fact Cavendish in this blend. I told Dave not to..... so yeah, that's why my review keeps coming back to musty. And why my mouth was coated with that mustiness before the halfway mark.
Sample #2 is Peretti's Cuban Mix, 2016.
A "kitchen sink" blend containing (at least) 8 varieties of leaf, including the dreaded cavendish (so sorry!), orientals, and cigar leaf. I am sure that the cigar leaf and orientals didn't help with the Cavendish aversion. I screwed up.

Burley, Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
I had a similar reaction to Cuban Mix. Glad to see I’m not alone in my disregard for something regarded highly by others.
Good review.

Immediately cleaned the Pete Meer used and loaded it again. Beautifully marbled incredibly thin sliced dark flakes with a few birdseyes and touch of bright Va. Smooth. Smoooooooth. It has nicotine. Not a heavyweight but I am most satisfied. Midrange flavor, consistent, dark Burley goodness running the gamut from barely there bass notes of liquid smoke to almost buttery nuttiness, sweetness heightened with Va and a restrained application of the typical Burley cocoa/molasses topping. Probably some age on it. I would crime for more.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Immediately cleaned the Pete Meer used and loaded it again. Beautifully marbled incredibly thin sliced dark flakes with a few birdseyes and touch of bright Va. Smooth. Smoooooooth. It has nicotine. Not a heavyweight but I am most satisfied. Midrange flavor, consistent, dark Burley goodness running the gamut from barely there bass notes of liquid smoke to almost buttery nuttiness, sweetness heightened with Va and a restrained application of the typical Burley cocoa/molasses topping. Probably some age on it. I would crime for more.
So far it doesn't suck?
Excellent!