Boswells

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
The straight up truth is that there are only a few places to source base tobaccos for blending. What I do know is I enjoy some of their blends, and haven't really found any quality issues yet. I enjoy their Dans Blend mixed with their Premium Burley, and also Pipers Pleasure. As to where they source the base tobaccos to blend, and put together is their own little secret. All that matters to me is that there are no real quality issues, and I support my local shops such as Boswells. I in no way would take offense to anyone asking questions as to their sources for their blends. I do know that Father & Son have worked at blending various stuff to come up with something all their own as far as flavor profiles, but again--the source of the base tobaccos--I have no clue, and simply enjoy their offerings. I support them because their shop is one of the few left that is run by quality people with quality products. I live not too far away from them, and can tell you that on a personal basis the Boswell family are good people who run a good place.

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Sales
Old Ted Award
The straight up truth is that there are only a few places to source base tobaccos for blending. What I do know is I enjoy some of their blends, and haven't really found any quality issues yet. I enjoy their Dans Blend mixed with their Premium Burley, and also Pipers Pleasure. As to where they source the base tobaccos to blend, and put together is their own little secret. All that matters to me is that there are no real quality issues, and I support my local shops such as Boswells. I in no way would take offense to anyone asking questions as to their sources for their blends. I do know that Father & Son have worked at blending various stuff to come up with something all their own as far as flavor profiles, but again--the source of the base tobaccos--I have no clue, and simply enjoy their offerings. I support them because their shop is one of the few left that is run by quality people with quality products. I live not too far away from them, and can tell you that on a personal basis the Boswell family are good people who run a good place.
Amen brother!

I have heard Archie speak of many of their tobaccos coming from Africa. Again, I pretty much love EVERYTHING I have tried from Boswells.
Northwoods, NoBite Delite, Route 22, Railroad Station, Dan's Blend, Premium Burley, Honey Harvest and a few others. Like Russ, and thanks to Russ, I also greatly enjoy his mix of Dan's Blend and Premium Burley. Letting that sit a while jarred turns it into a truly enjoyable smoke.

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
One of the reasons I enjoy this concoction is the fact that for me the flavor profile takes me back to my younger days. As @MakDragon stated I feel it's best if jarred, and aged a while. It's hard for me to describe it, but for me it's like an old friend. A well behaved blend that can be smoked in any pipe, in any season, and doesn't totally destroy the palate.

CharringLight

Patron
Amen brother!

I have heard Archie speak of many of their tobaccos coming from Africa. Again, I pretty much love EVERYTHING I have tried from Boswells.
Northwoods, NoBite Delite, Route 22, Railroad Station, Dan's Blend, Premium Burley, Honey Harvest and a few others. Like Russ, and thanks to Russ, I also greatly enjoy his mix of Dan's Blend and Premium Burley. Letting that sit a while jarred turns it into a truly enjoyable smoke.
I have smoked Northwoods and No Bite Delights. I'll have to give some of these others a try. Thanks for sharing Mak!

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Sales
Old Ted Award
I have smoked Northwoods and No Bite Delights. I'll have to give some of these others a try. Thanks for sharing Mak!
You are welcome! It's a shame you do not live within traveling distance. Then you could spend an afternoon or two trying so many of their blends. Plus the atmosphere there is just amazing. Very "old Timey".
I really have never had anything that I did not like. Just some that I like more than others.

CrazyIvan779

I'll be the slight dissenter here. They clearly do a great job and know their stuff. Haven't been there yet but the place and the owners seem to be a joy to visit. If you like aros or mild otc then you will love all the Boswell blends. However, if you are not partial to aromatics, heavy Cavendish blends, or overly mild otcs, then you may not find much in the Boswell lineup for you. Personally, I haven't had much from them that I liked for the above reasons. Northwoods is great, countryside and railroad station are ok other than that... haven't tried anything that wasn't hot air or mild nothingness. If there is a blend that has escaped me that would surprise me please let me know. Would love to support the business and the family. Sorry to be the Debbie downer lol

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
I'll be the slight dissenter here. They clearly do a great job and know their stuff. Haven't been there yet but the place and the owners seem to be a joy to visit. If you like aros or mild otc then you will love all the Boswell blends. However, if you are not partial to aromatics, heavy Cavendish blends, or overly mild otcs, then you may not find much in the Boswell lineup for you. Personally, I haven't had much from them that I liked for the above reasons. Northwoods is great, countryside and railroad station are ok other than that... haven't tried anything that wasn't hot air or mild nothingness. If there is a blend that has escaped me that would surprise me please let me know. Would love to support the business and the family. Sorry to be the Debbie downer lol
Your not being a Debbie Downer at all. We all have likes and dislikes in tobacco. Tobacco likes are very subjective. Some prefer very strong blends, high nicotine, etc.. Some prefer very mild to mid range flavors in tobacco. I’ll state that any blend from them I have smoked is in the very mild to mid range flavor profile with none of them being nicotine, or head blowing blends. I like them for that reason. Aromatics are tough for those who tend to push their pipes. A great example I’ll use, and with most any aromatic. Recently I’ve been smoking their Pipers Pleasure—slow sipping I get absolutely wonderful caramel, slight chocolates, and a wonderful joyful smoke with some actual tobacco base coming through—right to the end. So—I decided to push things a little. If you push it—you get hot steamy loss of that joyful flavor profile. Aromatics-especially milder stuff—if you begin puffing/drawing on your pipe in order to get more smoke-more flavor—searching for flavors-asking yourself—where’s the flavor—your going to be very disappointed as what you end up with is nothing more than hot, steamy-moist smoke that lacks flavor along with lots of moisture in your pipe. Any of the blends I’ve tried from them are in the wheel house of mild, and are meant to be slowly smoked, and enjoyed. Once you start puffing/drawing hard, fast attempting to think you’re gonna get more from the blend—it’s all gonna be lost in steam, hot unenjoyable air leaving you pretty disappointed. This can be said for pretty much an pipe tobacco.

CrazyIvan779

Your not being a Debbie Downer at all. We all have likes and dislikes in tobacco. Tobacco likes are very subjective. Some prefer very strong blends, high nicotine, etc.. Some prefer very mild to mid range flavors in tobacco. I’ll state that any blend from them I have smoked is in the very mild to mid range flavor profile with none of them being nicotine, or head blowing blends. I like them for that reason. Aromatics are tough for those who tend to push their pipes. A great example I’ll use, and with most any aromatic. Recently I’ve been smoking their Pipers Pleasure—slow sipping I get absolutely wonderful caramel, slight chocolates, and a wonderful joyful smoke with some actual tobacco base coming through—right to the end. So—I decided to push things a little. If you push it—you get hot steamy loss of that joyful flavor profile. Aromatics-especially milder stuff—if you begin puffing/drawing on your pipe in order to get more smoke-more flavor—searching for flavors-asking yourself—where’s the flavor—your going to be very disappointed as what you end up with is nothing more than hot, steamy-moist smoke that lacks flavor along with lots of moisture in your pipe. Any of the blends I’ve tried from them are in the wheel house of mild, and are meant to be slowly smoked, and enjoyed. Once you start puffing/drawing hard, fast attempting to think you’re gonna get more from the blend—it’s all gonna be lost in steam, hot unenjoyable air leaving you pretty disappointed. This can be said for pretty much an pipe tobacco.
So true. Well said.

LoneWanderer

Christmas Cookie is one of my favorite “gooper” aro’s when I have a strong sweet tooth and Northwoods was for a time one of my favorite crossover Aro/English blends. My tastes have developed a bit beyond what Northwoods used to do for me since I now find it a little too sweet for a true English experience and it’s missing some dimension without any Orientals to spice it up, but I still keep it in my regular rotation since it’s still a very approachable, straightforward, and relaxing smoke and I would recommend it to someone wanting to get started on English blends coming from the aromatic side. Overall I have nothing bad at all to say about Boswell’s. Some of their blends, whether rebranded or not, served as memorable stepping stones on my personal pipe smoking journey.

Top Bottom