Box Pass 2020

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
Time for another box pass.

Toward the end of the last pass I floated the idea of including a log and there was positive feedback. With that in mind, let’s call this pass “The Captain.” A log book will be included. You can make entries about the weather, what you had for dinner, about the blends you are including or thoughts about those in the box you tried. Basically anything. It should be fun.

If there are more than 20 sign-ups -- which there generally are -- we’re going to try something else a little different. If there is enough interest there will be two boxes circulating — @millarddj has volunteered to be involved and he will launch one from the north and the other will start out from Texas. If that happens one will be dubbed the “Kirk” and the other the “Picard.”

To sign up you need to have at least 100 posts and if you haven’t participated in a box pass or the Secret Santa it might be good if you could offer a “reference” — someone you’ve had a trade with on the forum, for example. Send a PM to me, @Coastal Bend, with the title “Box Pass” and your name and address. Even if you’ve done passes before it would be helpful if you would include your address in the message box.

We’ll hold sign-ups for about two weeks. That should be enough time for everyone interested to see the thread, sign up, make comments and generally throw the thread completely off the rails.

StompyMcFat

I just had a good laugh , @Sonarman!

I'm in for sure. These things are a blast, and I've been able to try a lot of new blends from them.

Although an RIP has to go out to Captain Leghorn (a famously unkillable cob) who did not make it to this pass.

If you are newer here and on the fence, you'll probably be really glad you signed up and really bummed if you don't!

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I just had a good laugh , @Sonarman!

I'm in for sure. These things are a blast, and I've been able to try a lot of new blends from them.

Although an RIP has to go out to Captain Leghorn (a famously unkillable cob) who did not make it to this pass.

If you are newer here and on the fence, you'll probably be really glad you signed up and really bummed if you don't!
Was it really Leghorn...like the chicken?
All this time I thought it was Langhorn. :bag:

But, yes. There are always many who regret not signing up. If you meet the qualifications and you enjoy trying new blends, I suggest you get in on this. We always wind up with more than just pipe tobacco in the box too.
Pipes, accessories, cigars, and all other types of tobacco goodies.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
What size boxes do you generally trade? Is there a preference for plain brown cardboard or for decorated boxes? Can I nest several boxes inside of one another? If there is still packing tape on them, is that tacky?
It starts off looking like any other cardboard box.
By the 20th stop, it is 70% duct tape, 15% box tape, 5% masking tape, 5% unidentifiable materials, and 5% cardboard.